Upgrade from 1PW4 to 1PW7 with troubles....sync problems

Options

Hello,

i was struggling long to make an upgrade from 1PW4 to 1PW7 due to the loss of WLAN Sync in the new 1PW7.

Since i read in another thread here, that a coexist of 1PW4 and 1PW7 would be possible and with this 'solution' WLAN sync would be possible through 1PW4 with my iOS devices, while 1PW7 on Windows Desktop would manage the Vault I decided to give it a try.

Installed 1PW7, it started in read only mode, probably because i once had an early beta of 1PW7 installed which i deleted after i found out that WLAN Sync was missing. However i bought the new license (as standalone since it was on sale) of 1PW7.
First i didnt notice i was working with 2 seperate vaults (old agilekeychain from 1PW4) and the new opvault. Anyway i managed that as well, and merged my old agilekeychain into the new opvault for 1PW7.

i checked the new opvault in 1PW4 and it worked fine (apart from being a lot slower in 1PW4 then the old keychain), but all entries were there.

Then i wanted to sync my iPhone and my PC with 1PW4 via WLAN sync. the sync started and i noticed a very high number of entries to be synced in the little sync window:
over 1000 entries should be synced even though my database has less then 400 entries. The process took over an hour and didn't finish.
normally a WLAN sync takes only a few seconds with my database. right now it is stuck on syncing object 4 of 4 as it says in the sync window
i manually terminated the 1PW4 and 1PW7 tasks when using the other version (as recommended in the other thread)
Data on my iPhone seems partially synced.

Now my questions:

1. Can this be fixed? What would be the trick to get 1PW4 getting the new opvault to sync with my iOS devices?
  2. If i decide to use the cloud sync: which option would be better: 1Password cloud or iCloud? Apple was apparently compromised with the Supermicro Hardware, yet i feel they might have better security then a small company like Agilebits. On the other hand, Apple might be a more apparent target for cloud hacking then Agilebits... Please dont recommend Dropbox, that would be totally out of the question for me as cloud service.
  3. 1password cloud would only work with the subscription and not with the standalone license? If so, could i get a refund of my standalone license and subscribe to 1PW.com?

Preferred scenario for me would be to keep my data file local and get the WLAN sync working again.

Any help would be appreciated.

regards,
Exit

1Password Version: 7.3.657 / 4.6.
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1809
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• exitstrategy
    exitstrategy
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

i was struggling long to make an upgrade from 1PW4 to 1PW7 due to the loss of WLAN Sync in the new 1PW7.

Since i read in another thread here, that a coexist of 1PW4 and 1PW7 would be possible and with this 'solution' WLAN sync would be possible through 1PW4 with my iOS devices, while 1PW7 on Windows Desktop would manage the Vault I decided to give it a try.

Installed 1PW7, it started in read only mode, probably because i once had an early beta of 1PW7 installed which i deleted after i found out that WLAN Sync was missing. However i bought the new license (as standalone since it was on sale) of 1PW7.
    First i didnt notice i was working with 2 seperate vaults (old agilekeychain from 1PW4) and the new opvault. Anyway i managed that as well, and merged my old agilekeychain into the new opvault for 1PW7.

i checked the new opvault in 1PW4 and it worked fine (apart from being a lot slower in 1PW4 then the old keychain), but all entries were there.

Then i wanted to sync my iPhone and my PC with 1PW4 via WLAN sync. the sync started and i noticed a very high number of entries to be synced in the little sync window:
    over 1000 entries should be synced even though my database has less then 400 entries. The process took over an hour and didn't finish.
    normally a WLAN sync takes only a few seconds with my database. right now it is stuck on syncing object 4 of 4 as it says in the sync window
    i manually terminated the 1PW4 and 1PW7 tasks when using the other version (as recommended in the other thread)
    Data on my iPhone seems partially synced.

Now my questions:

1. Can this be fixed? What would be the trick to get 1PW4 getting the new opvault to sync with my iOS devices?
    2. If i decide to use the cloud sync: which option would be better: 1Password cloud or iCloud? Apple was apparently compromised with the Supermicro Hardware, yet i feel they might have better security then a small company like Agilebits. On the other hand, Apple might be a more apparent target for cloud hacking then Agilebits... Please dont recommend Dropbox, that would be totally out of the question for me as cloud service.
    3. 1password cloud would only work with the subscription and not with the standalone license? If so, could i get a refund of my standalone license and subscribe to 1PW.com?

Preferred scenario for me would be to keep my data file local and get the WLAN sync working again.

Any help would be appreciated.

regards,
    Exit

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019
    Options

@exitstrategy: Please keep in mind that using both versions is unsupported. They're not designed to work together, and trying to do do "chain syncing" could result in data loss. Be sure to backup religiously. But, ultimately, I'd encourage you to make things easier -- and more secure -- for yourself with a 1Password membership.

1) Can this be fixed? What would be the trick to get 1PW4 getting the new opvault to sync with my iOS devices?

It sounds like an issue I've encountered with some sync setups over the years -- something preventing the connection from being terminated properly. We were never able to find a reliable workaround for those network environments though. :(

If i decide to use the cloud sync: which option would be better: 1Password cloud or iCloud?

1Password.com/.ca/.eu -- not because there's anything wrong with iCloud. It's great and serves its function well. But the 1Password service has three really big things going for it:

• Cross-platform: iCloud sync, which depends on CloudKit APIs, is not even available on non-Apple platforms, so that's a non-starter for those of us who use 1Password on other devices.
    • Fully integrated: You just sign into your account on each device, and you've got all of the vaults you have access to -- no sync configuration needed.
    • Built for 1Password: The 1Password service has built-in sync, designed specifically for 1Password's needs. It can evolve over time along with the apps, and when there's a problem we have the power to fix it, rather than depending on a 3rd party.

Apple was apparently compromised with the Supermicro Hardware, yet i feel they might have better security then a small company like Agilebits.

For the record, Bloomberg has yet to offer any corroborating evidence to back up their Supermicro story, and even sources who can be contacted question its veracity.

But certainly you make a good point as far as resources: Apple is well-heeled. Our security model, however, ensures that we are not in a position to have our customers' secrets stolen from us, because we simply never have them.

On the other hand, Apple might be a more apparent target for cloud hacking then Agilebits... Please dont recommend Dropbox, that would be totally out of the question for me as cloud service.

Okay. But just to be clear, 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so it doesn't depend on the sync service to protect data. So you'd get the same security regardless of whether you use iCloud or Dropbox, since either way you're using a standalone local vault. This is not insecure by a long shot, but 1Password accounts do have the added protection of the Secret Key, to prevent someone from brute forcing the Master Password if encrypted data is stolen from us -- they'd need to guess both.

1password cloud would only work with the subscription and not with the standalone license? If so, could i get a refund of my standalone license and subscribe to 1PW.com?

That's correct. Shoot us an email at sales@1password.com. We'll be happy to help in any way we can. :)

As far as the license, it sounds like you just need to download it and double-click it. Really the only thing that might help with that WLAN issue, if you haven't already tried this, is to reset the app and setup sync again from scratch. This guide can help you narrow down configuration issues that could be causing the problem. But at that point it is ultimately going to be out of the scope of 1Password. I am curious what you find either way though.

• exitstrategy
    exitstrategy
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for the extensive answer! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome. If there's anything else I can help with, just let me know. Have a great weekend! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.