To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

must use old password on laptop

Options
jbjagold
jbjagold
Community Member

Several months ago I upgraded to 1password.com. On my desktop computer I use the new master password setup during the conversion.
On my laptop, the new master password does not work. I have to use my old password from the original password app.
Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jbjagold
    jbjagold
    Community Member
    Options

Any help from the support team?

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry about that, @jbjagold !

If you head over to your vault switcher on your laptop, do you see a vault labeled "Private" listed? Depending on which platform you're using 1Password on, you can access the vault switcher by following these instructions:

You mentioned that you upgraded to a 1Password.com account a few months ago, so I'm thinking that you might still have your older standalone vault loaded on your laptop.

• jbjagold
    jbjagold
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice. I looked at my vaults and I only have 1 vault , which is called "personal" vault. Switched to that and still no luck. Any other ideas?

• jbjagold
    jbjagold
    Community Member
    Options

Support Team?

• Brian
    Brian
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for the delay, @jbjagold .

Are you able to sign into your account on https://my.1password.com/ using the correct/new Master Password?

• jbjagold
    jbjagold
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. On my desktop as well as my laptop.

• jbjagold
    jbjagold
    Community Member
    Options

Also, I cannot sign into my1password.com with my old login in.

• Hello @jbkagold,

So what it looks like it happening here is that you added the new account to the 1Password app that you already had the older account added to.

In the 1Password app, the first account you add to the app becomes the primary account. That account's master password is used to unlock the app for all accounts added.

If you want this to change you will need to change the primary account. You can reset the app data so that you can re-add the accounts in the correct order.

https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

You will need your master password and secret key to add the account again. Please make sure you have that information before you reset the app. You can find the secret key using these instructions:
    https://support.1password.com/secret-key/

Please let us know if you have any questions or if you need any help along the way.

• jbjagold
    jbjagold
    Community Member
    Options

Hi.
    I followed your instructions on my laptop and reset the app. After filling in the given code and then press the "delete data and start over" button, it takes me to 1password opening screen to sign in to 1 password. I can only use my old master password to sign in. When I do , it reopens my account and my original vault is open with all my data listed. Where do I go from here?

• jbjagold
    jbjagold
    Community Member
    Options

When I open my 1password acct and highlight the "1password Account" item in my vault, the password attached to this account shows my new password.
    why do I then still need to open my account with my old password?

• Ben
    Options

@jbjagold

Do you have a vault called "Primary" on the laptop still?

Ben

• jbjagold
    jbjagold
    Community Member
    Options

No. Under "All Vaults" I have a "Personal" and "Shared" vault only.

• Ben
    Options

And, just to clarify: unlocking 1Password on that device requires a different Master Password than the one you use at https://my.1password.com/ ? Do the Secret Keys match? You can see which Secret Key 1Password for Mac has in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts > your account > Secret Key.

Ben

• jbjagold
    jbjagold
    Community Member
    Options

My desktop app also only has these two vaults, yet I must use the new master password to open my acct.

• jbjagold
    jbjagold
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. To sign onto 1password.com on my laptop (windows, not mac) I have to use my new master password. To sign into 1password extension on chrome, I must use my old password.

• jbjagold
    jbjagold
    Community Member
    Options

The Secret key matches on both 1password.com and the 1password app on my laptop.
    I will be away from my computer for a few hours. Hope we can continue this discussion later.

Thanks.

• jbjagold
    jbjagold
    Community Member
    Options

Ben?

• J_O_D
    J_O_D
    Community Member
    Options

I am not sure my advice is any viable option, but I personally would uninstall the 1password app from the laptop and redownload and reinstall, as you seem now to have the vault on cloud. But that is just me and I have been wrong before.

• jbjagold
    jbjagold
    Community Member
    Options

I tried that already. Didn't help.
    Anybody else have any ideas?
    Is this SO unusual that your top tier engineers can't figure this one out?

• jbjagold
    jbjagold
    Community Member
    Options

Several of you have asked me if I see a "Primary" vault in my app. As I've already stated, I do not. Is that anything I should be concerned about?

• Hello again @jbjagold,

It is definitely unusual. When you sign into the app, please select "Accounts" from the menu. Only one account is shown there, correct?

After resetting your account data, you were prompted to add an account. When you added that account you used the Secret Key and Master Password for the new account. Once the account was added you couldn't sign in with the new Master Password, just the old one.

This is very odd.

I am going to ask that you send in a diagnostics report to our Windows support team so they can figure this out for you.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Once the report is generated please send an email to support+windows@1password.com with the report and a link to this forum thread.

Once the email is sent you will receive a reply including a Support ID. Please reply here with that Support ID so that we can expedite the ticket and get this resolved as soon as possible.

• jbjagold
    jbjagold
    Community Member
    Options

Here's the support ID #

support ID is [#SAU-78949-663].

Thanks.

• Hello again @jbjagold,

It looks like we were able to help you resolve the account setup confusion! I'm glad we could help.

Please do let us know if you have any questions, or if we can help in any way.

This discussion has been closed.