Extra password entries

When using the 1Password Chrome plugin to generate a password for a site, in addition to updating the "login" it also creates a "password" entry as well. In some cases, it looks like it even creates an additional "password" entry even if one already exists.
In addition to then getting flagged as a duplicate, this seems unnecessary.
Am I overlooking something or doing it wrong? When I generate a password, I simply want it to update the login, not create an additional entry in 1Password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @hallsofmontezuma,

So it sounds like you're referring to 1Password for Mac/Windows and the companion extension but we'd need a few version numbers to know for certain. The Password item is generated by both of our dedicated clients as soon as you perform an action that suggests the generated password may be used, so either fill or copy. This happens even before you submit the form so well in advance of 1Password offering if you would like to update. As well as the generated password it will also contain the timestamp and the title and website field will reference the website open in the browser when the Password Generator was used.

The reason 1Password does this is it's a safety net. We hope 1Password will correctly detect the change password form but if it doesn't we don't want you locked out of your account. If 1Password detects the form, prompts the user and you accept 1Password will delete the item, it's purpose served. If 1Password doesn't prompt it's there as a backup and you can manually update the Login item. If you manually update 1Password doesn't delete the Password item. That could be something we add, have 1Password help you keep a tidy vault but for the moment in that scenario you would need to manually tidy things up.

Things are a little different on 1Password for Windows where it still needs to catch up in places. One area is 1Password 7 for Windows still doesn't let you fill with the Password Generator, I hope we can remedy that soon.

This discussion has been closed.