Disable update notifications [No plans to do this]

palmino
palmino
Community Member
edited January 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,
as I don't like the new one column design from V 7.3 I'd rather stick to V 7.2.
Is there any way to turn off the update notifications?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @palmino,

At the moment it is not possible to disable notifications in 1Password. Is there a particular reason why you want to do that? Are they too intrusive? Please let us know.

As for our design and interface changes, please see this reply from Robbie in a neighbour thread. Feel free to join the conversation there. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member

Hi Greg,
    thanks for your reply.
    I've posted a comment in the thread you mentioned already.
    I dislike the new design to the point, that I prefer sticking to the old version (7.2), and yes of course it's intrusive and annoying, when I am beeing reminded each time I start the programme. To me it's in the same way annoying like the iOS update notifications you cannot switch off. I start regretting that I have subscribed 1Password for a year.
    Why on earth don't you allow users turn the update notifications off? Or let them disappear after 5 or 10 times by themselves?

• I agree that notifications should dismiss themselves after a time, @palmino. I've found myself a bit irked about some of them myself when I forget to dismiss them, like the notification that the app has been updated. Of course, this usually happens when I'm busy with something else like testing the update, so I haven't taken the time to pass it along, but I will now. :+1:

Would that be something that would be sufficient for you? I know, update notifications can be a nuisance when you have a good reason not to update, but as a rule keeping software up-to-date is one of if not the best things you can do to protect your security. With automatic updates, perhaps we don't have the same onus on us to be a nag about it, but I do feel security software in particular should be fairly persistent about encouraging folks to update. I know this means we'll be annoying some folks who have skipped an update with full awareness of what they're doing and perfectly good reasons for doing so, but I'll generally take something that annoys me and helps those who may not have that same understanding over something that could leave them behind the times and without needed updates. Despite that, I do think we should find a happy medium where we can and would love to hear what you feel would be a suitable compromise between a toggle for update notifications and no way to avoid them at all. :chuffed:

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate,
    thanks for your kind reply.
    Although I understand your interest to deliver a secure software it should't mean that you incapacitate everybody.
    I think a compromise could look like this:
    After clicking away the update notifications for several times, 1Password could popup something like this:
    "It seems you don't want to update 1Password right now. When would you like to be reminded again?
    1 month, 3 months, not at all (I'm afraid the latter might cause you sleepless nights, though ;-)).
    The time spans are negotiable :p :p :)

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hi @palmino,

If you turn off the update checks in the update settings of 1Password, it won't show you the banner.

We have no plans to change the automatic update notifications, we had this before and it led to fragmented users with various old versions that they didn't update to because they didn't know there were an update that already fixed or improved their issues. With automatic update and these banners, we actually saw a massive drop of outdated users with more improvements getting to everyone quickly.

We do plan to improve the design of these notifications though; for an example, some folks didn't know the banner actually serve to let you review the release notes by clicking on it. We'll add [view release notes][x] to the banner in the future.

• palmino
    palmino
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hi @MikeT ,

If you turn off the update checks in the update settings of 1Password, it won't show you the banner.

Sorry, but I can't find a way to turn off the update checks. Where exactly is it?

The switch that turns off automatic updates doesn't spare me from notifications.

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hi @palmino,

Sorry, I've given you wrong information as I've forgotten we only include that option in the external configuration file, not in the app settings. I don't have the info on how to do that at the moment as we removed our data on it since we no longer use it for 1Password 7.3 as we'll switch to group policy support soon.

If you want, you can email us at support+windows@1Password.com and I'll try to get you that information there. We don't share that information in the public forums here since we do not want to encourage disabling updates.

This discussion has been closed.