I want to change the category of an entry. Actually of a lot of entries imported into 1 password.

Options
ziger
ziger
Community Member

Applies to all the platforms. I imported a bunch of data from my old vault system and it all came in as secure note. The whole point of the import was to not have to retype every mileage program etc by hand. But they are perfectly useless categorized as secure notes. How do I edit them and change them into the proper categories?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: multiple
Sync Type: 1password
Referrer: forum-search:I want to change the category of an entry. Actually of a lot of entries imported into 1 password.

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@ziger,

An item's category cannot be changed - categories are set on creation and the item is fixed.

Did you recently do the import?

• ziger
    ziger
    Community Member
    Options

Yup. And sorry to say, that is stupid. I have things that morph over time. Onesie twosie, this isn't all that big of a problem, but with four people sharing some data, overlaps happen. And I'm a little OCD about organizing my data... And the rest of the family doesn't share my fixation,

It will not allow me to import into other categories than the basic three, so I'll wind up keeping my old data in the old software, and eventually will have to make a decision which one will win. They do a better job of importing 1password data though.

Zig.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@ziger,

What password manager did these come from?

• ziger
    ziger
    Community Member
    Options

SplashID in this case.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@ziger, If you are interested, there’s probably a more robust way to import your SplasID records. It’s been long enough now since your original post, I don’t know if you’ve made many changes to your 1Password data.

• ziger
    ziger
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC

What might that be? They are sitting in their own vault right now being ignored since they are mess and I'm still using the old application.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2019
    Options

@ziger,

Try the splashid converter in the coverter suite.

The converter can be customized if the results aren’t quite right for your needs.

• ziger
    ziger
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC

Thanks! The converter is a big improvement on the built in conversion tool.

But you should be able to change the category of an entry or even transform it to a new category to clean it up. That is just good data management.

Zig.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Thanks for the nice feedback @zigig

I know the 1Password folks are interested in supporting category changes too. Maybe someday!

Cheers.

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member
    Options

Am interested... Are there any plans on how to change a category for an entry?
    For example in the Shared vault we have something saved as category "Login" when in fact it should be category "Password".

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Not at the moment @uwalakab, but thank you for sharing your thoughts!

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Thank you. I see you can move an entry between vaults which is very handy, but changing categories.... is there anything like this in the pipeline (or beta)?

• Ben
    Options

Not at the moment, @uwalakab. There are some significant challenges that come with changing the category of an item, because the category also defines the template for the item. For example, all items in the Logins category will have username, password, and website fields on them. Items in the Driver Licenses category do not. So how should we handle the transition if someone moves an item with those fields on it from the Logins category to the Driver Licenses category? That is a bit of a rhetorical question, but it illustrates some of why we haven't made this possible yet. I suspect as we move in the direction of custom categories (something I wrote about here) this may be more feasible.

Ben

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Ben - You give a good point. It would be too complex to cater for what field maps to what, given the field in the different types of categories. Perhaps the only common field (and not even in all cases) is the password field.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. While passwords are prevalent in 1Password (for obvious reasons), not all item types even have those. So we'll see if we can come up with a more comprehensive solution rather than trying to put a large round peg into the small square hole that is our existing category templates. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

This discussion has been closed.