Android app mishandles "Field 6" from csv import.

alexkaratarakis
alexkaratarakis
Community Member
edited January 2019 in Android

Repro steps:
1) Have Keepass entry with contents in the Notes field. edit: I originally thought newlines were the issue, but I saw some entries with a single line that also had the bug.

2) Export to csv

3) Import csv into 1password. This places the Notes in a "Field 6".
edit: Incidentally, if Notes had new lines, then Field 6 will also have new lines which is not normally possible. Maybe Keepass' notes should be placed in 1password's Notes instead of Field 6.

4) Check the entry in the Android app. "Field 6" is not visible at all.

5) Furthermore, if you modify the entry in any way in the android app, Field 6 will be deleted, leading in lost information.

1Password Version: 7.0.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 9
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• Hi @alexkaratarakis. Do these items show up correctly on your other devices? Also, can you check the exported CSV and let me know if it conforms to the guidelines here? https://support.1password.com/create-csv-files/

• alexkaratarakis
    alexkaratarakis
    Community Member

Hi @peri. Yes these show up correctly on Windows/Mac/Web. The screenshot in the first post is from Windows. Also, clients won't allow adding additional new-lines, but will show them if they are already present.

The csv looks fine according to the guidelines in terms of structure. The columns for Title/Url are not in the places 1password expects so they will be placed incorrectly, but that is a different issue. Here is a screenshot of the csv as it gets exported from Keepass (I can't attach csv).

Importing the csv into 1password doesn't produce any errors and Windows/Mac/Web show it correctly.

Note: I used KeepassX 2.0.3 (Mac) for the export and 1password 7.2.2 (Mac) for the import.

• @alexkaratarakis Do you have lots of these items? Or is it limited to a few? Also, if you export any of these items from 1Password on Windows and then re-import them, does the newly imported version look right on Android?

• alexkaratarakis
    alexkaratarakis
    Community Member

@peri
    Almost all my passwords have some sort of note, so I'd say around ~500.
    I tried export-reimport.
    1) Does the Windows app not support Importing csv...?
    2) I exported from Windows and imported from Mac. It looks... way worse. Notes became username. Username became field 11. I don't know what field 6 and 8 are. Field 9 is the Tag, Field 10 is the name of the entry. Field 12 is random garbage as far as I can tell (I blocked a few of the numbers in case it is leaking real passwords). The notes field is actually the password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alexkaratarakis: The 1Password.com web interface has the most robust CSV import...but it is geared toward specific apps' output. I think you'd get a better result with your custom fields by converting to the native 1PIF first and then importing that into the desktop app. @MrC ’s converter does a great job of that, and it's also customizable if you run into an issue specific to your dataset.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@alexkaratarakis ,

Please see the converter suite, version 1.11 in Testing Bits is what you want. Do a KeePass 2 export as XML (2) , and you can convert that file to 1PIF on a Mac or Windows. You'll find the process trivial on a Mac. You'll get a 1PIF import that into either the Mac or Windows desktop version of the app.

• alexkaratarakis
    alexkaratarakis
    Community Member

Converter suite is super nice, I will need it for some other conversion too. Thanks!

I still think the original scenario is a bug and shouldn't happen. I would expect the import to fail (3), and/or the android app to display an error and open in read-only mode (4) and/or refuse to write an entry that leads in data loss (5).
    The way it is now, there is potential loss of data, which can be problematic in password scenarios.

I was able to transfer my passwords though, so thanks @ all :).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2019

@alexkaratarakis ,

Thank you for the kind words.

I don't know when you downloaded the suite, but a few minutes ago, I posted a MAJOR update. if you are so inclined, I'd appreciate it if you could download the new package. You'll find the converter suite thread updated with the link. I'm loving the new README.html guide!

If you are converting on Windows, your portable Strawberry Perl will still work fine (the instructions now prescribe the installer version for simplicity).

• alexkaratarakis
    alexkaratarakis
    Community Member

@MrC I am watching the thread and just saw it. I will try it out. The new README looks nice as well. :)

• @alexkaratarakis Let us know how it goes! :)

This discussion has been closed.