1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: ??

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

If you have a membership (subscription), then there won't be a sync option, as syncing is automatic through 1password.com (that's one of the advantages of membership, you don't have to set up syncing manually).

But if you have a stand-alone licence and WLAN sync is not present, then something is wrong.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jennnyc - as @danco mentioned, if you have a 1password.com membership, you won't have the option for sync, as all of that is handled by the 1password.com servers. When you open 1Password Preferences, are there tabs (panes) along the top for Sync, WLAN Server and Backups? Or does it go straight from Browsers to Updates? If it's the latter, then you have a 1password.com membership, and your sync is handled automatically. Just sign into your account within 1Password on any other device you want to use it on, and all your data will appear.

• userjohn
    userjohn
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Is there any way to use a 1password.com membership with one vault while also keeping another vault stored only locally (and synced using WLAN)?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@userjohn - yes. It's not a setup we recommend, because people can often wind up saving data on the fly into one vault when they thought they were saving it into the other, and then winding up not having access to the data when they need it, as well as other reasons. If you have a 1password.com membership, it will have whatever default vaults that particular kind of account came with (at least a Personal or Private vault), plus at least a Shared vault, if it's a 1Password Families or 1Password Teams/Business account. But you can click Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts to turn on standalone vaults. This will give you a Primary vault and allow you to sync that using any of our advanced sync methods (including WLAN sync), or not sync it at all.

• userjohn
    userjohn
    Community Member

Thank you, I’d like to use a 1password.com membership if I can still also keep standalone vaults for certain information that would never be sent online. Am I correctly understanding that by using a membership, I’d lose zero functionality (as compared to standalone licenses) with respect to those standalone vaults, so there should never be any need for standalone licenses in addition to a membership?

Can you please explain what other reasons (aside from potential inadvertent use of the wrong type of vault) that you would not recommend using both 1password.com vaults and standalone vaults? With a membership license, can I use standalone vaults only on devices where 1password.com vaults are also present, or can I use just standalone vaults on some devices if I wish?

Can the membership purchase method (e.g., via Apple vs. Agilebits) affect functionality in any way? With a membership (rather than standalone license), must the software keep checking online for membership status to continue functioning (even for standalone vaults and WLAN sync)?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@userjohn - if you have a 1password.com membership, all of our apps are included in the price of your subscription. No additional licenses required.

With a membership license, can I use standalone vaults only on devices where 1password.com vaults are also present, or can I use just standalone vaults on some devices if I wish?

Yep, that's the one "caveat" to this: although all apps are included in the cost of your membership, any given installation of 1Password will always be looking for either a standalone license or a membership/subscription, which means that you must be signed into your account in each instance of 1Password in order to not be in Read Only mode; you can't set up 1Password instances that use only standalone data and not also your account.

Can the membership purchase method (e.g., via Apple vs. Agilebits) affect functionality in any way?

A subscription via the Apple is slightly more expensive, and is paid via whatever method of payment you have set up with iTunes. It's also subject to Apple's terms and conditions for subscriptions in the Mac App Store (as well as our own). It's also more difficult to switch account types, if that's something you ever think you'll be wanting/needing to do. Lastly, in order to subscribe via the Mac App Store, you have to have downloaded 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store, and that precludes you installing versions other than the current one. When you use our own version, you can run our betas, you can even delete your copy and install an older version should you ever want to. It's just more flexible, since the Mac App Store only allows you to download whatever version is the current one, unless your hardware/version of macOS limits you to previous versions.

With a membership (rather than standalone license), must the software keep checking online for membership status to continue functioning (even for standalone vaults and WLAN sync)?

Pretty sure I answered this one above already, but let me try to reiterate: if you set up 1Password with only standalone vaults/data, then it will require a standalone license or it will be in Read Only mode. The only way for any given installation of 1Password to "know" that you're an authorized user is for you to sign into your account, which will mean that your 1password.com account vaults will be present. If you want to run instances of 1Password 7 for Mac that have only standalone vaults, you would need to purchase a separate standalone license OR be willing to live with having to sign into your account (and those vaults to be present).

This discussion has been closed.