New Mac - 1PW7 - Sync challenges - not the right Vaults - Help plz

Options
bbwolf
bbwolf
Community Member

Alright Alright Alright

So, I ve got a new (ish)
iMac with High Sierra. Just reset the whole system.

Im also using a
2015 MBP with El Capitan

and iPad and iPhone on a Family Subsription, I m currently the only user. No snycing problems whatsoever so far.
1PW 6 worked well before, syncing was / is done via dropbox.

Now, I had installed the new 1PW7 on the High Sierra iMac, learned about the opvault vers keychain and created a new opvault file for syncing. Seems to work so far alas the new 1PW7 does not sync my full Private Vault. Im not even sure what was synced but it wasnt my full Vaults. Ive attached an image of the my structure.

Ive installed the latest version FireFox with the latest Version 1PW AddOn which works fine and helps as a Workaround atm.
Due to me being thick I had to do a clean reinstall of the whole High Sierra System again (d´oh) and now I ve got the dropbox but have not yet loaded 1PW7 out of the Appstore just yet. If you guys could give me some direction to how to proceed to sync all my Vaults, that d be great. Thank you already.

cheers & smiles

Wolf

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bbwolf: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! If I'm not mistaken, your screenshot is of 1Password X. Anything you have in Dropbox, and AgileKeychain, OPVault, etc. will not work there. 1Password X works only with 1Password membership subscription accounts, like 1Password Families. So it sounds like you signed up, migrated some of your data to that account, and that's where you're getting mixed up.

It sounds like you have data in some (non-account) vaults You can either copy the data to one of the vaults you already have setup in your account, or create new ones to share with some, all, or none of your family members. I think that should get you on track, but if you have any questions at all let me know!

• bbwolf
    bbwolf
    Community Member
    Options

Hello brenty, thank you for the timely answer. but, I have no clue what you re talking about tbh. I had 1PW, then I upgraded to a Family Licence (way down last year or earlier)as I like hte service and wanted my family to get on board. Ive been syncing everything via dropbox no problems since I had 1PW first. The screenshot (of the spanking new FireFox AddOn)was just to show how many vaults I have and their structure. What´s with the super confusing multiple ways to run 1PW???

I have an account. I ve never did use 1PW without an account. How would that even work? Why would that work. This was running nice for years. I do not understand the felt arbitary structure differences.

How come it works as a Browser extension without a problem but not as an application on the system while on the same machine.
    Sorry, super frustrated here with all the bloody hoops and bounds and redtape each and every service I have to reinstall makes me jump through. As a two decade mac user I m especially frustrated as this used to the easy system.

yeah bottom line, I do not understand what yer trying to say here, sorry. I m not going to change my vaults after they ve been working great on this machine until I had to reinstall.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bbwolf: Until just a few years ago, there was no such thing as a 1Password account. You will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password membership subscription of some kind. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. That's very different than how you would have used 1Password before then: instead, using 1Password with local vaults, syncing your own data, and purchasing licenses for each separate version. A membership includes all 1Password apps and updates. It sounds like you've got a membership, but you've been using local vaults -- OPVault and AgileKeychain -- and syncing them via Dropbox. All of that is completely separate from a 1Password account, so signing in doesn't get you their data; you'd need to move it to your account first, like I mentioned above. Have you done that? If not, where do you have those other vaults currently?

• bbwolf
    bbwolf
    Community Member
    Options

look mate, it worked Saturday. Before I reinstalled my High Sierra. I had High Sierra and 1PW 6 and AgileKeychain and it synced with Dropbox. Everything was peachy. Across ALL devices. Now I have High Sierra and 1PW 7 and opvault and it doesnt. Only shows parts of it on my iMac. If it worked well until 1PW7 it does not make any sense to me to change my vaults. It worked before. Nothing has changed apart from that I ve made (now Im thinkking a bloody mistake) the upgrade to 1PW7 and opvault. Where do I have my vaults? In 1Password. move to accounts? I dont understand the questions. I ve used the APP, I ve synced from App to app from Mac to Mac to iPad to iPhone via dropbox and of course I have an account. Always had a secret key as far as I can remember while using 1PW. Utterly confused now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bbwolf: In order for it to work the way it did before, you'd need to set it up the same way again. It sounds like you have it setup a certain way on your MacBook Pro(?) If you want it the same way on your iMac, you'd need to add the same vaults there. I don't think that's a good long-term solution since you'll have to go through this every time you setup a new device, but it's up to you. I'm suggesting it might be better to actually put all of the data in the account so that you just need to sign into it on each device. Data you do not have in your account won't be accessible just by signing in. When you sign into 1Password.com in your browser, do you have everything you need there?

https://start.1password.com

Let me know.

• bbwolf
    bbwolf
    Community Member
    Options

yeah I see everything in the browser but I want it on the app too. I m really really REALLY confused now. not gonna lie.

• bbwolf
    bbwolf
    Community Member
    Options

Add the same vaults? Istn that what the Sync option is for?

• bbwolf
    bbwolf
    Community Member
    Options

and I do not understand what you mean by "pull all the data into the account"
    like really. makes no sense to me at all. Sorry
    Only having to sign into 1PW on any of my devices was how it worked so far. That s the whole reason I have it. Set up the Dropbox sync, log in with my one password, and presto. Got all my vaults and everything.
    I ve been using 1PW since 2012 and it was always a breeze. I am not happy now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

yeah I see everything in the browser but I want it on the app too. I m really really REALLY confused now. not gonna lie.

@bbwolf: Sorry for the confusion. Generally people use either local vaults with the "standalone" 1Password app (and can optionally sync those using Dropbox, for example), or a 1Password.com account (which has sync built-in). You seem to be using 1Password both ways. Certainly that's possible and some people want to for one reason or another, but we try to steer people away from doing that because it can cause this sort of confusion. That's why I'm trying to get you to add the other data to your account. It would solve the problem you're having and simplify things for you going forward, avoiding this sort of confusion in the future.

Add the same vaults? Istn that what the Sync option is for?

Indeed, and sync for local vaults needs to be configured separately on each device for each vault. That's why you don't have some on the iMac: you haven't done that.

With 1Password.com accounts, there are no sync options; all of that is built right into the account, and any data in it is available just by signing in on a device. But you have to have the data saved in your account for that to work.

and I do not understand what you mean by "pull all the data into the account" like really. makes no sense to me at all. Sorry

When you signed up for the 1Password Families membership, you had to migrate your existing data to your account. Otherwise none of the data you'd saved before that, going back to 2012, would be there.

Only having to sign into 1PW on any of my devices was how it worked so far. That s the whole reason I have it. Set up the Dropbox sync, log in with my one password, and presto. Got all my vaults and everything.

You'll need to setup each individual Dropbox vault in the app on each device in order for them to be available there. That's how it's always worked, going back to when we added support for Dropbox in 2008 or so.

I ve been using 1PW since 2012 and it was always a breeze. I am not happy now.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'd very much like to help you, but that isn't possible without your cooperation. I've asked you some questions that could help us get you on track, but you have no answered them:

When you sign into 1Password.com in your browser, do you have everything you need there? https://start.1password.com

I'm guessing the answer is "no", but I'd rather not make an assumption and lead us both on a wild goose chase as a result.

If do have data that is "missing" from your account though, you'll need to get it there somehow in order to move forward, and, to that end,

where do you have those other vaults currently?

As with travel, if we don't know where we are starting out, we can't very well navigate a course to a destination.

This discussion has been closed.