1Password 7 Features?

Options
cboettcher
cboettcher
Community Member
edited December 2018 in Mac

Hi,

I'm using 1Password 6 and there are a few feature requests that I was hoping were present in v7:

1. If a field is of type password (as designated/created by the user, not just the pre-existing password field for a login entry), then its history is available to the user (eg. via a previous passwords button).
  2. Forward/Back buttons that allow one to move back and forth between viewed entries, rather than search or click multiple times to get back to a recently viewed entry.

Any chance either of these is present in v7?

Thanks,
Casey

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cboettcher - it should be. For any item that has had more than one password, you should be able to scroll down and see a button called "View password history":

Clicking that should give you access to all previously-used passwords for that item, as well as the dates they were changed.

I'm not sure what you mean by forward and back buttons in earlier versions. Can you elaborate? Was that in the mini, or in the main application? Feel free to take a screenshot of what you mean, if you think that will help.

• cboettcher
    cboettcher
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your response. I'm using 1Password for Mac version 6 and my comments above were feature requests that I was hoping to see in version 7. So, when I mentioned "forward and back" buttons, I was referring to something that I'd like to see, not something that's actually present. Unless of course, Agilebits has actually implemented this idea, in which case I'll be purchasing v7 yesterday.

Why would I want to forward/back buttons? I'm glad you asked. Here's a user story: I'm creating a new login for another website/service and the website is asking me for a credit card number. Let's say that I was just looking at that same credit card entry/item in 1Password before I started creating this new login. What do I have to do now, in 1Password v6? I have to save the entry I'm working on, and I have to pick up my mouse and navigate to a category of entry or a tag and then select the credit card I was just on minutes ago (or I search for it). Then how do I get back to the entry I was creating? I have to search for it! Why not have a back button and a forward button?

Another thing: please make 1Password more keyboard friendly. I hate using my mouse if I don't have to and there's no rhyme or reason to the keyboard focus in 1Password. Try cmd-tabbing away from the application and coming back to it using cmd-tab. Now without taking your hands off of the keyboard, navigate to an entry. If you can do this, please, please contact me and let me know how it's done. Contact me even if you can't, but you know what (if any) key moves focus in the application; I'd love to know.

Regards,
    Casey

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cboettcher - I'm not sure I understand. "Creating a new Login" item in 1Password should be done automatically for you, if you use the recommended method. I know of no service that includes a credit card requirement as part of the sign in (that would be wildly insecure). If you're filling in your data on a registration page for a new service you've not previously had a login for, you won't (yet) have anything mid-edit in 1Password, typically. You'll might be filling identity or credit card data from 1Password, but this should never have to be the case:

I have to save the entry I'm working on, and I have to pick up my mouse and navigate to a category of entry or a tag and then select the credit card I was just on minutes ago (or I search for it).

Am I missing something?

please make 1Password more keyboard friendly.

If you haven't already, you may want to check out our keyboard shortcuts page. There's considerably more of them than most people realize, certainly well beyond the standard ⌘\, at any rate. If you don't see what you're looking for there, you're welcome to request specific features that you think should be available by keyboard shortcut. But remember, as much as you're keyboard-centric, we have many users who never use their keyboard to navigate around or do things in 1Password because they're very much visual/mouse-centric, so we have to try to make 1Password as usable/friendly to both those groups as we can. :)

• cboettcher
    cboettcher
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, let me start by apologizing for the tone of my last message. It was a little too familiar and slightly sarcastic and the world doesn't need more sarcasm.

The user story I came up with may indeed be implausible. I'd like to rephrase and simplify the request: I want to go back and forward through the "history" of entries that I've either viewed or edited. I think this is a common "idiom" that most people are familiar with. It's easier and (most of the time) faster to rapidly click the same button while looking at a fixed location on the screen, than it is to scan a list of entries, select and then scan another set of entries and select.

I'm definitely going to give the keyboard shortcuts page a read; thank you for linking me to it.

With regard to the "recommended method" that you describe: the paranoid in me has seen this type of extension as increasing attack surface/vectors (ditto for Spotlight integration). But, after reading some of the posts by staff on this forum, I've come around to see it as a worthwhile compromise, especially given that it might prevent phishing (to consider oneself as ever-vigilant is foolish).

Thanks for taking the time to educate the user rather than simply saying, "Great idea. We'll think about."

Casey

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cboettcher - thank you for taking the time to post that. :) Internet culture lends itself too easily to dismissiveness and sarcasm, and it's a good reminder for all of us that such rarely leads to more productive dialogue.

We work hard to make 1Password secure and easy to use, but it's not always an easy balance to strike. And our first attempt at something isn't always where we end up with it, because we don't have all the answers. That's one of the main reasons we keep this forum running -- because we want to hear from people about use-cases we might not have considered and suggestions we might not have come up with. So don't hesitate to come back any time and engage us if you have questions about how something works, why we did it the way we did, or why we didn't do it this way instead? We're truly grateful for every bit of well-intentioned feedback we receive, because it means that people care enough about the direction of 1Password to spend some of their time letting us know what they think. Thanks for being a part of the conversation, and for being a 1Password user. :)

This discussion has been closed.