Hewlett-Packard benefits site at Hewitt.com doesn't fill properly

Options

Safari 12.0.2

Attempting to log in to the Hewlett Packard Benefits site at hewitt.com. The actual login page is at https://leplb0530.portal.hewitt.com/web/hp/login.

If I just ask 1Password to fill the login form for me, the login fails.

If I manually copy the username and password values from 1Password and paste them into the corresponding fields of the login form:

• The login succeeds.
  • 1Password asks me if I want to create a new login entry or update the login entry that I copied the username and password from!
  • If I say yes, 1Password changes my saved password field to be the same as my username!!

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @NeilFaiman,

In the other query you posted I asked if you could see if an entirely new Login item behaved the same or if you saw any improvement. I wonder if you can try the same with this one please. After saving a new Login item using the steps detailed on How to save a Login manually in your browser and before you try filling can you let me know if the new Login item displays the correct username and password when you view the item.

I'm running a new version of 1Password 7 and unfortunately it isn't easy to revert due to schema changes in the database and the current version does have big changes in terms of filling so there could be a difference in behaviour. Depending on what we learn I may have you manually update but I'll provide the steps when it looks like that is the best way forward.

• NeilFaiman
    NeilFaiman
    Community Member
    Options

OK, That worked for my other web site, but not for this one. In this case, when I create a new login, it doesn't have a username field, and its password field contains my username.

When I display web form details for the new login, I see that there is a field named "_ParticipantLogon20_WAR_ahcommonauthportlet_userId" which contains my username, and a field named "_ParticipantLogon20_WAR_ahcommonauthportlet_password" which contains my password.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @NeilFaiman,

So we can correct that but even though 1Password has made a mess of identifying the username and password correctly if I fill with an item saved in 7.1 it will fill the two fields correctly for me. I hope you find the same.

If you do we can correct 1Password's mistake.

1. Edit the new Login item and click on the Show web form details button.
    2. In the column after the field type you will see the first field has the silhouette of a key. Click on it and select the silhouette of the person.
    3. In the same space but in the field below click and select the silhouette of the key.
    4. Save.

What we've done is updated the designations so that 1Password understands the first field represents the username and the second the password. We don't alter the fields at the top as you may otherwise think to do as that would only compound 1Password's mistake and break filling. We simply point 1Password to the correct data already stored in the web form details. Hopefully you find everything works after this although both fields should fill correctly even before the adjustment.

• NeilFaiman
    NeilFaiman
    Community Member
    Options

Well, this is very interesting. All the results I described above are from the Mac that I use at work, which is running 1Password 7.1 on High Sierra. After reading your note immediately above, I tried this on my home Mac, which is running 7.2.4 on Mojave. (I generally keep my software up to date. Is 7.1 the latest version available on High Sierra?) Anyways, 1Password 7.2.4 at home had no problem filling in the password info that I had created with 1Password 7.1 on Friday.

I was going to upgrade the work system to Mojave fairly soon anyways, so if the best answer to this problem is “Upgrade to 1Password 7.2”, I'm perfectly happy with that.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @NeilFaiman,

So the solution doesn't have to be update to 7.2 but everything did work a bit better out of the box there when I tested. 1Password 7.2 or newer is available to anybody running either Sierra or High Sierra, it's just that the internal updater has been limited to only people running Mojave. The reason why is 7.2 supports Safari App Extension and that requires Safari 12. We know without any doubt Mojave users are running Safari 12, it's impossible not to be but while Safari 12 is available to (High) Sierra users we don't know people have updated. So we decided to hold off and let the adoption rate of Safari 12 increase.

As long as you have Safari 12 installed though you can download the current version of 1Password from "Downloads - 1Password" page and that will bypass the guard we put in place.

Then you can leave updating to Mojave to a time of your choosing rather than feeling you need to do it so you can update 1Password and doing all of that just for one site.

Still, all the testing I did suggests that both fields should fill with 7.1 without updating. Just so we're clear, even though the item didn't correctly display both a username and password after saving, did you try filling anyway just to see what happened?

• NeilFaiman
    NeilFaiman
    Community Member
    Options

Working in 7.1, if I create a new 1Password login following the directions you gave above (changing the designations of the web form details fields), then 1Password 7.1 will fill the form correctly from that login.

1Password 7.2.4 will fill the form correctly, even from the original 1Password 7.1 login (where I just manually fixed the username and password rather than fixing up the web form field designations).

I'm now going to update my work computer 1Password to 7.2.4 and forget about all this. :) Thank you for taking the time to work through exactly what was going on.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @NeilFaiman,

I'm glad that we found something that worked. If you come across any other tricky sites do let us know! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.