1Password globally hijack the universal Ctrl+O shortcut

Hi,

Recently (I guess with 1password 7), I started to notice that all my apps were not responding to the universal Ctrl+O keyboard shortcut. After some digging, I found that the Ctrl+O shortcut is mapped into the 1password app to "Fill login or show 1password" by default.

This is a very bad design choice since every application on earth use this shortcut to open a file/project/whatever. Moreover, in most applications the shortcut does not even work, and the 1password mini will indeed shows up if I return to my browser afterwards for instance.

I'm aware that I can change and/or disable that shortcut but the point is that most users won't understand what's going on and why their applications suddenly refuse to respond to the (again) universal Ctrl+O shortcut...

You should definitly change that default to something else.

Regards,
Bertrand

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @blemasle,

Thank you for getting in touch and using 1Password!

The default shortcut for Fill Login in 1Password is Ctrl + \, so I am not sure what happened on your side. We mention this shortcut in all of our guides. For example:

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

Is it possible that you use a non-standard keyboard layout on your PC? Please let me know. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• blemasle
    blemasle
    Community Member

Hi @Greg

Thanks for answering me. oO I'm using a pretty standard French Azerty keyboard. I don't know what happened either if it isn't the default shortcut. One thing for sure is that I noticed this hijack a few days ago only, so it is possible that the shortcut was set this way all along but that the update made it work all suddenly...

Anyway, this was more to report a design issue than an actual bug, so I'm glad to see that I was mistaken :)

Cheers,
    Bertrand

• We do have an issue with the default shortcuts using our new in-house installer that came along with 7.3, @blemasle, and the release of 7.3 roughly coincides with when you noticed this problem. That said, I'd not expect Ctrl + O to ever be the one you end up with. The issue is specifically that our old installer would set the default for folks who needed a modifier to type \ to something that would actually work. As an example, German keyboards get Ctrl + # to avoid needing to use AltGr. The new installer can't do this properly just yet, but the result should be that folks who are affected by this would still see Ctrl + \ as the shortcut.

Doing my best to judge based on Google images, it looks like your \ is on the 8 key and does require a modifier, so you may have been bit by this issue, but not at all in the manner I'd expect. Regardless, you're doing the right thing changing it, and we'll make sure to do some testing to see if Ctrl + O is being selected for French/AZERTY for some reason and get it fixed up if it is. You're absolutely correct we don't want to be picking one that's used in many other applications, and Ctrl + O is very much one I'd expect to be taken already, regardless of what language you speak. Thanks for passing this along. :chuffed:

• blemasle
    blemasle
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate

On a french keyboard, \ do indeed require the AltGr modifier. I don't know if it can help to pinpoint the issue (if any) but all the shortcuts were using the O letter instead of \ in my case.

The feature you describe makes sense for many users accross the world I guess and I'm glad you implemented it.
    Thanks for the follow up !

• MikeT
    edited February 2019

On behalf of Kate, you're welcome. We'll get that improved or fixed if we can figure out why it migrated the wrong shortcut.

ref: opw/opw#3737

This discussion has been closed.