Retreive 1 password vault from dead computer

JCB
JCB
Community Member
edited January 2019 in Mac

My iMac has corrupt files and won't boot. I have to wipe the drive and reinstall the OS. I can still get access to the files on disk using target mode, so I want to retreive my 1Password file (with all my passwords) before I reinstall the OS. I don't have a recent backup on the cloud, so I need this file that contains all my recent passwords. Where is this file located?

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Facts_do_matter
    Facts_do_matter
    Community Member

You could check for the lastest backup file which you could use to restore your latest 1Password version. If you use version 7 you might check the following path: #User#/Library/Group Containers/#some_alphanumeric_letters#.com.aegilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups

Hope that helps.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JCB - uh-oh! I'm sorry for the trouble, that sounds like not a lot of fun. :( I'm glad to hear you have access to the previous setup's files via Target Disk, however. There are a couple of things you can do - one, as @Facts_do_matter mentioned, would be to grab the most-recent backup that was made by 1Password for Mac. These are made once per day, so it's unlikely you'll miss much if anything by restoring that (presuming you weren't making lots of changes or additions to your data in the 24 hours before things went south). To restore an existing backup in an alternate location like this, in Finder, click Go > Go to Folder and then navigate to the root of the previous hard drive, and go to Users/(your mac username)/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups and copy the most-recent item onto either a USB flash drive or directly onto the new setup's hard drive (if available). Then, when you go to set 1Password up, restore from this backup (choose File > Restore, followed by "Find Backup").

The second way to do this would be to copy the entire Data folder from within Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/ over to the new installation, and replace the existing (empty) one with this older one containing all your data. Try the Backup route first, however, and let us know how it goes.

• JCB
    JCB
    Community Member

I've successfully restored my data. Thanks Facts_do_Matter and Lars for the info.

Now I would like to sync with Dropbox. Right now, my most recent vault is on my iMac and it is not synced with Dropbox. I have older vaults on my MacBook Pro and my iPhone and those are synced with Dropbox.

How do I sync the vault that's on my iMac to Dropbox without mixing it up with older vaults. Should I remove the vaults from my Macbook and iPhone first?

• @JCB

Yes, I'd recommend:

• Disable sync on the MacBook Pro and iPhone
    • Delete the sync files (.opvault / .agilekeychain) from Dropbox
    • Use Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password data on the MacBook Pro to clear out all 1Password data
    • Uninstall and reinstall 1Password for iOS to reset it
    • Set up syncing with Dropbox from all of the devices -- iMac first: How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• JCB
    JCB
    Community Member

How do I uninstall 1password on iPhone and iPad?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@JCB - from your device's home screen, locate the 1Password icon. Hold it down with your finger until it "wiggles," then tap the small, circled X in the upper-left hand corner of the icon. Then open the App Store and re-install 1Password for iOS, and on first run, choose the option to sync with Dropbox and follow the onscreen instructions. Let us know if you run into any difficulties! :)

This discussion has been closed.