My User Experience of 1Password is definitely worse than it used to be.

markhuss
markhuss
Community Member

It could be just me but recently I dread having to use 1password. This new "cmd alt shift" or whatever it is just to have 1password open so that I can have the privilege of entering my master password so that it will save my newest entry is just too much.

It used to be so much more intuitive and now if Chrome has already filled in the login info (which it does 90% of the time) I just use it.
Chrome doesn't ask me to enter a password so that it can enter a password for me. I appreciate all you do but my user experience has definitely diminished over the years. I used to be able to make the Master Password just four digits so I could get past the login faster but now it insists on a more secure password just for that.

Just to get the verification code of my credit card takes FIVE clicks and that's if I click everything correctly. (1. to open 1 password, 2. click Credit cards, 3, click the arrow at the end of the name of the card because if you click the card it closes, 4. click the three dots at the end of the verification number, 5. Click reveal.).

I know security is important but when I'm taken on an excursion just to get an old login, I lose my train of thought and have to shake the thought of why I'm going down another 1password rabbit hole.

So though it doesn't sound like I appreciate what you do, I do. I just used to appreciate it a lot more.

1Password Version: lastest as of Jan 20, 2019
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mojave
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @markhuss!

...recently I dread having to use 1password.

That's certainly not the experience we want people to have. Let's figure out what's going on. For one thing, we definitely recommend you turn off your browsers’ built-in password manager, as this can cause confusion about what application or process is saving or filling. I can't tell from just your description, but this might be part of the problem.

I used to be able to make the Master Password just four digits so I could get past the login faster but now it insists on a more secure password just for that.

True. The security landscape has changed significantly as the internet - and with it, threats - have evolved. What was considered standard (or at least "acceptable") practice ten, even five years ago no longer is. Witness the rise of Two-Factor Authentication for many websites, to use just one example. To be fair, in many cases, sites or even apps will still allow users to proceed with less-secure methods, but we differ from these developers in one main way: 1Password is a security product (as opposed to just another app or website), which means our primary reason for existing is to help keep users (and their passwords) safe online. The assumption that goes along with that is that people come to us and pay money to use 1Password for that reason -- maybe among other reasons, but that is certainly one of the primary ones. As a result, while we're believers in user choice for many things, allowing users to behave insecurely on a fundamental issue like Master Password strength just isn't one of them. There are many settings users can tighten (or loosen) up in 1Password, such as how soon the app will require you to re-enter your Master Password (and under what conditions), whether to use quick-unlock methods like Touch ID or Face ID, and various other settings. Each one has trade-offs in terms of security and also usability. But there's a baseline for being a security product (as opposed to merely a convenience feature, that we won't go below. A four-character Master Password can be cracked by a modern computer in less than a second. And I don't even mean the combined resources of the NSA or something here, I mean: the phone in your pocket (unless you've got a truly ancient one) can brute-force a four-character Master Password in literally one second. We're just not comfortable calling ourselves a security product while shipping software that can be set to such a low value, and that's not likely to change.

With respect to the usability within 1Password itself, we are always willing to listen to users' use-cases for things and/or suggestions to how things could be improved, and I'd be happy to listen to any you might have. With your CVV code example, though, I'm hard-pressed to see how that could be reduced. We do have keyboard shortcuts for various major functions of 1Password, but we don't write them for every single function, mostly because it would be difficult to find combinations that weren't already in use by either system functions, other apps or other 1Password functions, but also because most people aren't interested in learning several dozen keyboard combinations. So, while we have commands like ⌘\ to fill the selected Login on the current web page, something like copying a CVV code from a credit card item doesn't have a dedicated keyboard combo. I suppose if you find yourself looking for CVV codes in particular, you could always copy them in non-obscured text into the Notes field, so accessing the record would allow you to see the code without having to click "Reveal," but that's a matter of personal preference, and here again, it lowers your security to have the CVV code written out in plain text.

This discussion has been closed.