retention of inactive secret key and password in 1Password apps

dpoutsiaka
dpoutsiaka
Community Member

We have a family account initiated January 2017. Both my husband and I had functioning account. I use 1PW daily and am mostly satisfied with it but my husband only recently decided to start using it but had forgotten his master password. We had his original secret key information. Following instructions on the 1PW website, I "recovered" his account through my access on the web. He received a new secret key and made a new master password. He was able to access his account on the web, his iPhone and iPad and could see the data he had entered in January 2017, demonstrating that his new credentials were active. However, he has been unable to open 1PW via the apps on this Mac (OS Mojave most updated version, 1PW version 7.2.4) and on some of the sign-in windows the original, inactive secret key was displayed. Presumably the original forgotten master password has been retained as well. We started with trying to uninstall the Safari extension and received a message that we could not because 1Password7 was open. However, we could not find any open windows, tried force quit on the Mac but there was no option to force quite 1Password7. I deleted his account and then created a new one for him (using his same email) but again no ability to access via the apps and the original key was displayed. We finally went to the activity monitor, found three 1Password7 activities and quit them. We were then finally able to uninstall (we think) 1Password7. We then downloaded 1Password7 from the 1Password website and reinstalled it. However, he still cannot open the apps and his original secret key is still displayed on some of the windows. We think his login credentials are not updating on the 1Password side/server, as opposed to the computer's, side. We have been emailing support and get responses but usually 24-36 hours later. All of the support person's thoughtful solutions (see case [#JZL-16813-193]) require opening the app on the computer but that is the issue - we cannot. Can suggestions? The application in its current state is useless for my husband.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4 (and is auto-updated)
OS Version: Mojave 10.14.2
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• dpoutsiaka
    dpoutsiaka
    Community Member

After posting this, my husband received an email with the fix - open the app from the Application window in Finder so that the login screen shows. Go to the top bar then Help>Troubleshooting>Reset All 1Password Data. The ensuing instructions were followed and now all is good. Thank you Andrew for your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @dpoutsiaka! Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I helped you get things squared away, but since you appear to have solved the problem by yourself, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not.

So, congratulations! Keep an eye on things and please let us know if the problem recurs or if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great week, and thanks for being 1Password users!

This discussion has been closed.