Changing Passwords in Firefox is a nightmare

Options

Hi,

I do really hope that I haven't understood how it works. Otherwise I won't stay with 1Password. I use 1Pwd only since a few days but I spent hours and hours since then moving my logins from the firefox and icloud databases.

Since I not only want to transfer my logins but to change to safer passwords, I'm always changing the passwords after setting them up in 1Password. When I change a password (unfortunately its a very long-winded way to switch several times between 1Password and the browser, see https://support.1password.com/change-website-password/) 1Password asks (in most cases) if the saved login shall be updates. Even if I press "Yes" it creates a new password entry and doesn't change the existing entry. That means that I have to do that manually.

What am I doing wrong?

Hope you can help me. Thanks in advance.

Daniel

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi @Hoelder,

Thanks for writing in.

Even if I press "Yes" it creates a new password entry and doesn't change the existing entry. That means that I have to do that manually.

When you generate a new password with 1Password, it will save a copy of that password as a Password item (note the key icon, second item in your screenshot). This is a back up for when you tell the site to update the password but you didn't get an Update Login prompt from 1Password due to some weird site's design. In this case, you'd be left behind with an outdated Login item with an old password, where you can't log in anymore. In this situation, you'd be able to find that new password item, copy it, and then update the Login item manually; otherwise you'd be locked out.

The update dialog itself does not create the extra password item, it only updates the Login item you select.

1Password 7 does not have an automatic cleanup feature to remove redundant password items, this will be added in a future update. For now, you can just ignore the Password items, they're supposed to be there or you can delete them yourselves.

• Hoelder
    Hoelder
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT

Thank you for your explanation. Now I understand where the passwort items come from.

Unfortunately, the problem itself remains. After I have copied the new passwort into the change password dialog of the website and pressed enter 1Password asked if the login item shall be updated. Even if I confirm this the item is not being updated. I had this problem yesterday with swisspass and today with splitwise. Only if I repeat the login dialog with the new password (that I have to copy manually) the login item is updated. I hope you can understand my explanation.)

• Is it possible a new item is being created for these sites, @Hoelder? The way this works in a bit more detail is that the 1Password extension will read the password change page and realize that you are changing a password and that this password is for this particular site. It determines which item needs updating by looking at the URL and seeing if it matches one you have saved. If the site has one domain for the sign-in page (say, awesomewebsite.com) and a different one for the change password page (changepasswordawesomewebsite.com, let's say), then 1Password won't know that this change form is associated with the Login you've saved. In this case, it will likely prompt you to save a new item rather than update an existing one and these two dialogues don't look massively different.

I'd check a few things here. First, look to see if you have any duplicate Login items for the same site. If you do, check if one has an updated, random password and the other has an old one. Also check if the change form for that site has the same domain as the sign-in page and the URL you have saved for that item in 1Password. And, of course, let me know what you find. :chuffed:

• Hoelder
    Hoelder
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Thanky for your answer.

But its unfortunately not the solution:

• no new item was created
    • no other URL was used

I tried it again and could replicate the problem. I did screenshots of every step. Can I send you the screenshots by private mail? I don't want to post them to a public site.

• Absolutely, @Hoelder! Send them to support+windows@1password.com and I'll take a look. For good measure, could you also include a diagnostics report? Here's how to create one:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?windows

You can attach that to your e-mail. When you send it, you should get a support ID via auto-reply. Let me know what that is and I'll be able to find your e-mail in the sea of our inboxes a bit more easily. Thanks!

• Hoelder
    Hoelder
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Done. You'll find my request under support ID #ACK-11622-751.

Thanks in advance!

• Thanks, we got your email and will reply soon!

This discussion has been closed.