Autofill in Apps strange behaviour

Auslaßventil
Auslaßventil
Community Member

Hi,

If i enable Autofill with Autofill Service 1Password no Logins are filled by 1pw.
If i enable Autofill with ANY other Service ( eg.: Google, Samsung) 1 Password fills correctly. Really
NOW:
If i disable the Service completely 1Password fills credentials correctly.

Is this a Samsung "Feature" ? ;)

1Password Version: 7.0.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 8.0
Sync Type: 1password Acc

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Auslaßventil: Hmm. So. There definitely seems like there may be something odd going on...but at least part of the confusion is that there are multiple "Autofill" features/methods on Android.

The one you're looking at there works best, but is only available when a) you've got it enabled (ha!) and b) the app has implemented support for it. That isn't a lot right now.

In all other instances, what you'll be using is Accessibility filling. It's less slick, but works great in many cases, where Autofill is not available. You'd have to have enabled that from 1Password Settings > Filling.

The main difference between the two is that Autofill tells 1Password a few things: the app's URL (to match login credentials), the Autofill services it is supporting (account creation, saving, filling), and what goes where.

With Accessibility, we don't get any of that helpful information, so the giveaway for you as a user will be that 1Password will ask you to search for and select the Login item you want to use, and confirm that you are okay with 1Password filling it there going forward. 1Password will save that app association, and then remember to suggest that same Login for filling in that app in the future as well.

With all of that out of the way, does that help you get a better understanding of what you're seeing/experiencing? And then, with this in mind, are you still seeing behaviour that doesn't seem to make sense to you? Let me know and we'll go from there. :)

• Auslaßventil
    Auslaßventil
    Community Member

Thanks for your explanation.

One last question: Why can't i leave both Options on? As mentioned above in my post, if i enable both options nothing gets autofilled.
    I'm coming from Keepass2 and there is it possible to have both autofill methods enabled. To be honest: Keepass2 has a little helper app, but in the end it works like a charm.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Auslaßventil: You didn't mention anything about 1Password's Accessibility filling feature in your comments. That's why I brought it up, because you seemed to be trying to understand it. As I mentioned, you'd need to enable that under 1Password Settings > Filling. Have you? You should be able to have both that and Autofill enabled, and then Accessibility will work as a fallback where Autofill is unavailable (though I suppose it's possible that your device might not support it). It sounds like the problem you're having currently is that you have no fallback because you don't have it enabled. Let me know.

• Auslaßventil
    Auslaßventil
    Community Member

I enabled both. Accessibility and Autofill. In App and I extra checked the Android Settings more than one time :) Thats why i ask, i thpught it is a kind of fallback option to have both enabled.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Auslaßventil: Got it. If you're still having trouble using it, can you give me a specific example of an app where that's happening?

• Thanks, @Auslaßventil Can you clarify the problem a bit? When you're in the Netflix app, for instance, and you tap in the login fields, does the 'Autofill with 1Password' prompt appear at all? If so, are you able to select a Login to fill?

• Auslaßventil
    Auslaßventil
    Community Member

No prompt at all. Nothing.

• Thanks! If you long press on the Login field, do you see the option of opening the Autofill prompt from there?

• Auslaßventil
    Auslaßventil
    Community Member

Nope, on longpress the Paste/Clipboard prompt appears.

As said: The 1PW prompt works if i disable the Autofill Option and leave the Accessibility filling on.

• Thanks for the update! I've tried testing this on my end and so far have not been able to reproduce. I also tried changing my device's language to German but that didn't alter my ability to fill in the apps. I wonder if this issue is specific to the specific apps you have. I will pass this on to my support team to look into, as it may be an issue with how we handle filling on Samsung devices. Please let me know if you have further questions!

• Auslaßventil
    Auslaßventil
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Hello,

Just to give you an update:

The Problem is solved since my S8 received the Android 9 Update aka Pie today.

Autofill works now as intended.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

Excellent! That was a late Christmas present for me too. Glad to hear the update helped. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.