How to synch 1Password between WINDOWS desktop app and iPhone iOS app?

Options

I want to purchase the 1PW desktop app for my Windows laptop computer and have it synch to the 1PW iOS app on my iPhone 8. How do I set this up? I am planning to do the one time application purchase/download, not the 1PW account that requires a monthly subscription. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How to synch 1Password between desktop app and iPhone iOS app?

Comments

• CalvinsPal
    CalvinsPal
    Community Member
    Options

Install the 1Password iOS app

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Rudy2020,

Thank you for getting in touch!

If you want to use 1Password without 1Password account, you will need to purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Windows and sync your local vault via Dropbox on both devices.

I will send you a reply to your email soon and provide you with more details. However, I would still recommend you to take a closer look at 1Password accounts – this is the best and the most convenient way of using 1Password right now:

About 1Password membership

Let me know if you have other questions. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: PRT-22532-333

• Rudy2020
    Rudy2020
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg, please send instructions via email soon as possible as I would like to set this up today. I don’t see an option on your website to purchase a stand alone vault. I am actually trying to set this up for my mother. I already have a stand-alone vault set up on my own Mac but I do not synch to my iPhone via Dropbox. I believe it is done via iCloud? Is that possible? Is that an option for syncing 1PASSWORD from Windows laptop to iPhone? Thanks for your help!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Rudy2020,

I sent a reply to your email, please check your inbox. Let's also continue our conversation there and avoid any further confusion. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Rudy2020
    Rudy2020
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the email instructions, Greg. Hoping to set this up today but waiting to hear back as to whether it is possible to backup the 1PW app on the iPhone to iCloud. Then my mother could access the app on the laptop when she logs into iCloud even if it has not been recently synched with dropbox. Please let me know, thanks.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rudy2020: If you sync your data via iCloud, you won't be able to access your data via web interface on iCloud.com. I will reply to your email to day. :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• exitstrategy
    exitstrategy
    Community Member
    Options

I also recently bought 1PW7 and i miss the option on the windows version to sync via icloud. Why is that?
    i dont like dropbox, if i need to sync via 3rd party cloud i would prefer apple icloud. any way to get this working on Windows?

• MikeT
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi @exitstrategy,

Because there is no official implementation provided by Apple to support syncing via your iCloud account (not iCloud Drive, a different technology) on Windows. iCloud Sync in 1Password is not the same thing as iCloud Drive.

Until there is one, we won't be able to support this any time soon. Dropbox and 1Password.com services are the only cloud sync (not storage) supported by 1Password on all platforms.

• exitstrategy
    exitstrategy
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT: Understood. I wasnt aware iCloud Drive is different from iCloud.

i have one more quiestion though regarding what you wrote:
    you wrote that 1password.com and dropbox are the only services for cloud SYNC (not STORAGE).
    does that mean, that my opvault file is not stored on 1password.com?
    From my understanding it must be also stored there to be able to be synced?

• Hi @exitstrategy,

Correct, OPVault and Agile Keychain are standalone vault formats and they are not part of your 1Password.com account.

Your 1Password.com account has its own internal database structure that we sync with our own service, it allows for a deeper overall 1Password experience such as integrated sync, backup, no licensing to deal with, easier and more secure way of sharing data between family members and others, and more.

This discussion has been closed.