Right Mouse Click Function Not working (Mac)

dcstalder
dcstalder
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Running beta 7 > Mac OS (most current) > Safari (most current)

All working fine with beta install and operation, except the right mouse click function no longer works. 1Password shows up in the menu, but when I select it, nothing happens. I need to go to button on Safari menu bar or button in top tray to open 1Password.beta

1Password Version: 7Beta - 6
Extension Version: 7Beta - 6
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• doof
    doof
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

--deleted--

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2018

Hi @dcstalder,

I was able to reproduce this issue. It appears to affect Safari only, so I suspect it has something to do with the new Safari extension. I'll check with development and see what the situation with this is. It may simply have not made it into the beta yet.

Thanks.

Ben

ref: apple-570

• davin8or1
    davin8or1
    Community Member

Any news about the resolution to this problem?

• Yes, thanks for asking. We’ll be removing 1Password from the context menu. There are already at least 3 other ways to open 1Password mini:

• The keyboard shortcuts (Cmd+\ and Cmd+Opt+)
    • Clicking on the icon in the browser
    • Clicking on the icon in the menu bar

As this menu option doesn’t add any value beyond what is already possible via the other options (it doesn’t do anything special) and it doesn’t work in Safari we don’t see any value in keeping it.

Thanks!

Ben

• davin8or1
    davin8or1
    Community Member

Please reconsider! Unless Safari is intentionally blocking the contextual pop-up, this is my favorite and most convenient way to enter passwords into fields.

• Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

• Thomas_U
    Thomas_U
    Community Member

@Ben: Please note: None of the shortcuts work on a german keyboard:

on a german keyboard \ is Opt+shift+7 , ) is shift+9

When I try Cmd+\ I have to press Cmd+Opt+shift+7 which is the macOS -shortcut for showing all tabs of the current window as miniatures.

When I try Cmd+Opt+) I have to press Cmd+Opt+shift+9 and nothing happens.

• mstgrv
    mstgrv
    Community Member

Since updating to the v7 beta, I've noticed that there's no "1Password" item in the right-click menu on Safari anymore. Just want to clarify if this a bug on my system, or the intended behaviour? Hoping it will make a comeback, it is THE way I use 1Password in Safari

1Password Version: 7.0.BETA-8
    Extension Version: 7.0.BETA-8
    OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hey @thomas_u,

We’ve got at least one German on the team so let me check with them and see if they can chime in here and let us know what the deal is. :)

@mstgrv

I’ve merged you thread with another on the same subject. Please see above.

Ben

• szwecja
    szwecja
    Community Member

Bring back right-click menu !!!

• malik10405
    malik10405
    Community Member

Hi, would make sense to ask the users before removing from the context menu. I used that option always.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

Thanks for your feedback, but we currently don't plan to keep a contextual menu item in Safari. Unless I've missed the memo, that isn't even possible with Safari App Extensions, which Apple is requiring going forward. So I'm not sure asking would help. Edit: It appears it is possible to add contextual menu items, but it's something we've been moving away from for a while now, as many folks don't like the menu getting cluttered up. It's something we'll continue to evaluate, but the plan is to get rid of it altogether.

Fortunately, there are already many ways to access 1Password:

• Click the menu bar icon to open 1Password mini
    • Click the browser toolbar icon to open 1Password mini
    • Press ⌘ ⌥ \ to open 1Password mini
    • Press ⌘ \ to fill login / show 1Password

If you use browsers other than Safari and like clicking, you may also want to check out 1Password X, since that has an inline menu that can be used right in login forms.

• Thomas_U
    Thomas_U
    Community Member

The shortcuts don't work with a german keyboard.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Thomas_U: I'm sorry to hear that, but you're in luck! You can customize them in 1Password Preferences > General. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

And another update here: we're looking at adding a context menu option temporarily while we review some other changes we'd like to make. It's going to go away ultimately, but we want to maintain consistency across the apps in the mean time, as we evaluate other options.

• MarcHildy
    MarcHildy
    Community Member

Contextual menu for 1Password was the only way I filled passwords in Safari, you've created a usability blocker for me by taking that away. Until autofill passwords works in macOS like it does in iOS this should be brought back. Please. ~just now when I tried to comment it required a login, I immediately tried right clicking to bring up 1Password, then had to open it via a icon in my menu bar, frustrating~

• rudy
    edited September 2018

@MarcHildy,

Install 7.2.1. The contextual menu item is present there.

• Ruud Polmans
    Ruud Polmans
    Community Member

Please leave the menu. In 99% of the cases I use 1password, this was the way to use it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ruud Polmans: As Rudy mentioned in his post immediately above yours, it's in 7.2.1.

But we're currently planning to get rid of it across the board for consistency and security, and because frankly it doesn't add any functionality: there are already four other ways to access 1Password:

• Click the menu bar icon to open 1Password mini
    • Click the browser toolbar icon to open 1Password mini
    • Press ⌘ ⌥ \ to open 1Password mini
    • Press ⌘ \ to fill login / show 1Password

And if you like clicking, and use Firefox or Chrome (-based browsers), you may want to check out 1Password X.

• Ruud Polmans
    Ruud Polmans
    Community Member

@brenty I saw the post above mine and immediately installed the latest version. You mention it doesn't add any functionality but for me it does. The other options work, but the right mouse click is the most easy one, and like I said, I use it in most of all cases. So please leave it as is.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Quite literally, it doesn't add any functionality because you can still open 1Password without it. It's going away. It's just a matter of time. I'm sorry that's not the news you're hoping for.

• Narius
    Narius
    Community Member

Not sure if it's Safari per se, but I noticed it missing when I went to login to an Office 365 Portal window, and I've found myself regularly have to use it to access credit cards or sometimes identity information. It really is a handy feature. After all, when you're not in Safari, and you need to access that data, what's the built in shortcut? Since I'm not aware of any, right-click is a super option.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Narius: ⌘ ⌥ \ will open 1Password mini any time. Does that help? :)

• Narius
    Narius
    Community Member

Hi @brenty - I'll keep trying. To be honest, I thought you wrote ⌘ \ instead of ⌘ ⌥ \ . I was just on a page that had account details, then next to it, credit card fields. I went to use ⌘ \ and that had no effect but right-click was perfect. I'll keep exploring.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Narius: Sorry for the confusion there. ⌘ \ is the keyboard shortcut for filling login credentials. If you only have a single Login item saved matching the current webpage, 1Password will try to fill it as soon as you press that; if you have more than one, it will present you a list to select from. There is no keyboard shortcut to fill Credit Card or Identity items. You'll need to either use the mouse to open 1Password mini or press ⌘ ⌥ \ and then select one. Cheers! :)

• Narius
    Narius
    Community Member

Thanks for clarifying the shortcut @brenty . The shortcut does the job - I wasn't aware of it so will have to start getting used to it. If I have any more thoughts though, I'll let you know.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Narius: Absolutely. You're very welcome! We're here if you need us. I will add though that you're not necessarily stuck with the shortcut we've chosen as the default. If this is a function you use a lot and want to change it, you can do so in 1Password Preferences > General. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.