Restore License after Reinstallation

Options
DavidFrye
DavidFrye
Community Member

Hello:

I recently had my iMac's Fusion drive "re-fused," meaning I needed to reinstall applications. I discovered I had not retained the Master Password for my 1Password 7 installation. I have a backup restored and viewable from iCloud in 1 Password 7.2.4. When I try to change from Read-Only Mode by Adding a License, I'm not sure what file I should be navigating to when the dialogue box opens.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• chadseld
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi David,

There should be a file ending with the extension ".onepassword-license". You may want to search your email archive too, since that's how you would have received it originally.

The license should also have been stored within your 1Password data itself. Check under the Software License category for 1Password. Perhaps you only have the license file for version 6?

• DavidFrye
    DavidFrye
    Community Member
    Options

Based on the file date for my copy of License.onepassword-license, it is related to v. 6 and not the upgrade to v. 7 that I purchased on Oct. 13, 2018. If I navigate to it in the Add License dialogue box, it is not highlighted. There was no v. 7 license file attached to the invoice.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DavidFrye - apologies for the confusion. A 1Password 7 for Mac license will be in this format:

1Password 7 License.onepassword7-license-mac

Any licenses ending in .onepassword-license will be for older versions (as it sounds like you've discovered). Your confirmation/receipt email should look like this:

...and the blue button at the bottom should allow you to re-download your license file. Let me know how that works for you.

• DavidFrye
    DavidFrye
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Lars, thanks for getting back to me. Here is a screenshot of my invoice. I also checked for a file with the extension you listed, and I do not have that type of file. I can't access the page linked to from the email because it takes me to the site and requires my Master Password, which is what I've forgotten.

Thanks for helping me untangle this snarl.

[image removed by 1Password staff; this is a public forum]

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DavidFrye - thanks for the response. What you showed me was a receipt for a 1password.com subscription/account, not a license purchase. It sounds as if you subscribed for one year of 1password.com back in October. Did you transfer your data from your previous standalone vault(s) into your 1password.com vault? And, more importantly, do you know your Master Password for your 1password.com account, and have your Secret Key? (note: please DO NOT post your Secret Key or Master Password or any other sensitive/personally-identifying information in this public forum; I'm just asking if you have it).

• DavidFrye
    DavidFrye
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

I have the data from my standalone vault (which is largely unchanged from what I moved into my 1password.com vault). I am comfortable with having to update the entries that I have added or changed since October.

I do not recall my Master Password, but I do have my Secret Key. Without the Master Password, I cannot figure out how to log into anything on 1password.com.

Can I get a reset on my subscription for the remainder of the term and start over with a new Secret Key and Master Password?

What I'm discovering is that my standalone vault (when accessed with 1Password 7) is read-only. I'd like to recover the capacity to edit it (and use it via the browser extension).

• Ben
    Options

@DavidFrye

Yes, our sales team can help with that. Please reach out to sales@1password.com from the email address associated with your 1Password membership. When you email in you'll get a support ID from BitBot. Please post that ID here so we can be sure your ticket is addressed.

Thanks!

Ben

• DavidFrye
    DavidFrye
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Ben and Lars, thanks for your assistance. Here is my support ID from BitBot: #CDA-57429-629.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DavidFrye - thanks! One of the team will be with you shortly. :)

This discussion has been closed.