New Secure Desktop button doesn't do anything?

Options

Hi,

I noticed a new "Secure Desktop" button with a shield after 1Password updated. However, clicking this doesn't seem to do anything. From your blog it looks like this should pop up a different box to enter my master password. (Which is kind of confusing, as it seems like the more secure option should be the default, not require clicking an extra button.)

Note that I have been using Windows Hello and that button still appears (and works) as well, so maybe there is some conflict between the 2 options?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello shouldn't conflict, @marcstober. I use both just fine on my Surface. What Secure Desktop does is a bit more than open a separate window, though – it should bring up an isolated desktop with just a window for the Master Password. Otherwise your entire screen will appear dark grey. I've noticed it can be a bit slow to render everything on my PC when I've got a ton of other stuff running, but my screen going black is near instant. I assume waiting makes no difference for you?

As for "most secure option first", that is something that makes sense instinctively, but can cause a lot of friction in practice. Secure Desktop is what I call a "paranoid option" – something that is great for folks whose threat model means Secure Desktop helps them feel more comfortable, but totally unnecessary for many others. Paranoia about data like what you keep in 1Password is totally understandable and not something I'd ever judge folks for (I've got my paranoid habits too), but we shouldn't foist that paranoia on everyone else who just wants to unlock and get their work done. What's more, your threat model may change depending on where you are. If I'm in public, I actually prefer Hello unlocking – it can help combat screen surfers – but if I'm using a network I'm not entirely comfortable with I like an option like Secure Desktop that provides some extra protection for my Master Password. 1Password doesn't know where I am or what I'm worried about right now, so allowing me to choose Hello, Secure Desktop, or a normal Master Password unlock right from the unlock screen is perfect.

• Hi @marcstober,

Are you using MalwareBytes or HitmanAlert.Pro by any chance?

• marcstober
    marcstober
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT probably - I am using Sophos Home, and I seem to recall that being a component of that although maybe branded differently.

@bundtkate I understand what you're saying, and I also think that for less paranoid users it's just confusing why there are 2 ways to enter a password, and for paranoid users it's an extra step to go through (and if you forget you could theoretically compromise the password). It just feels to me more like an advanced option that you can switch on somewhere, rather than every time I go into the app I have to decide which password entry to use. (It could still off a choice of password vs. fingerprint/Hello.)

• Hi @marcstober,

I suspect that's the problem. We were working with Sophos/HitmanAlert as they do block Secure Desktop by default and we couldn't find any settings that'll allow Secure Desktop to work. There were no errors, so that's why we can't disable the button as the app doesn't know it is not going to work.

When we uninstalled it, the Secure Desktop started to function properly. We'll keep working with their team to see if they can whitelist it in 1Password.

There will be options for defaulting to Secure Desktop in a future update, we're just getting started with it for now to make sure it works solid for everyone first before we proceed to iterate on it.

This discussion has been closed.