Moving platforms Sync

I used to run a stand-alone licence on my Mac which was kept in sync with my iPhone (iOS 12, 1Passord Version 7.2.7) via WLAN server.

My Mac has died and I am currently working on a Windows 10 machine, until i can replace my Mac

I would like to purchase a subscription so i can get the App for my Windows machine and also for my Mac when it returns.

I would like to continue to use local vaults but as far as I can tell, Wlan Server support is not available in the latest windows version, is this correct ?

Is it possible to load a backup file from the iOS version in to the windows application ?

any help would be appreciated Many thanks Andy

1Password Version: iOS 7.2.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.1.2 Win10 (V1809)
Sync Type: Wlan

Comments

• Hey, @agoree! You can certainly use a 1Password membership to license your apps and continue to use standalone vaults, but I would caution you to be very careful about your settings across all of your devices to ensure new items and updates are saving to the right place. You'll need to sign in to your 1Password account to license your apps and that means your 1Password.com vaults will necessarily be there and usable. I suggest making sure you choose a standalone vault as your vault for saving and even consider excluding your account vaults from All Vaults. That makes it a bit easier to keep things where you want them and that you don't have unused vaults cluttering up your app.

As for getting your data to your PC, it isn't possible to load an iOS backup anywhere else. My best recommendation would be to use Dropbox temporarily. Change your iOS sync method to Dropbox, grab that vault on your PC, then disable sync on both devices and delete the .OPVault from Dropbox once you're done. On your PC, I'd recommend enabling folder sync to somewhere local once you've got your data over. That way, you have an extra backup.

Finally, a few tidbits. First, when you sign in to your account on any device that already has your data, you'll see a prompt to automatically migrate your data to 1Password.com, so be sure to tell 1Password not to do this and don't blindly click or tap through. You'll also need to decide whether you're okay just avoiding changes to your data until you get your Mac or if you're willing to use Dropbox temporarily to sync to iOS. As you noted, WLAN isn't available in 1Password 7 for Windows and iOS doesn't support folder sync, so you have a bit less flexibility with those two devices. I know neither of these is likely a good solution for you personally, but since it's a temporary situation, hopefully one of them will serve. And, of course, I'm here if you have questions. :chuffed:

• agoree
    agoree
    Community Member

Thanks for all the advice, that's a great help.

• It's no trouble at all, @agoree! This isn't something I tend to recommend because it can be a bit fussy getting everything working smoothly – 1Password memberships were really designed with using our hosted service in mind – but so long as y'all know what you're in for and are ready to take steps to manage it, I ain't gonna stop ya. :chuffed: I hope the transition goes smoothly, and let me know if I can do anything else to help. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.