New Family Account, and I forgot master password

dweissman
dweissman
Community Member

I am a long time user of 1Password on Mac and iOS, and I decided to get a Family Membership a few days ago. I set it up on my iPhone and I stupidly forgot the new master password I selected for this account. It's not a big deal since all of my old data is still saved in my iCloud account, and I hadn't migrated anything over yet, but I'd really like to start over with a family membership if that's possible. When I downloaded 1Password 7 to my Mac today and realized I had forgotten the new master password, it wouldn't let me set up a new 1password.com account since it thinks I already have one (presumably, the family account I set up the other day). Is there any way I can start fresh with a new family account now? Also, what do I need to do with my iCloud account on all of my devices? I'd like to basically migrate all of my data from my old account to my new family master account, and then share SOME of that data with my wife's and daughter's sub accounts (in the family membership). Does that make sense? Anyway, thanks for any help you can offer.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:forgot password

Comments

• Hi @dweissman

Our sales team would be happy to assist you in deleting the membership you've forgotten the Master Password to. That is a process that needs to be handled via private email, though. Please email sales@1password.com from the email address associated with your membership. When you do so you'll get a support ID back from BitBot. Please post that ID here so we can follow up.

Also, what do I need to do with my iCloud account on all of my devices? I'd like to basically migrate all of my data from my old account to my new family master account, and then share SOME of that data with my wife's and daughter's sub accounts (in the family membership). Does that make sense? Anyway, thanks for any help you can offer.

Yep; that's how it works. :) You can learn about how to migrate here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

and then how to share here:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• dweissman
    dweissman
    Community Member

Thanks so much, Ben. Unfortunately, I had a crazy week and I'm just following up now. I took your advice and sent the email to sales@1password.com and I'm now waiting for the reply. Meanwhile, I did get the automated email with the support ID #LMD-69465-889, so I'm posting it here as you suggested. Thanks again!

• @dweissman

Since we last spoke things have changed a little. It isn't necessary to wait for our sales team for assistance on this. Please check out these new instructions:

FAQ: I'm locked out of my account (membership) / need to start over — 1Password Forum

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• dweissman
    dweissman
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben! I actually got everything straightened out. I deleted the old family account, started a new family account, and then I was able to import all of my data from my old iCloud account to the new 1password.com account. The only thing left is to set up the accounts for my wife and daughter in the family account, and then import her data into her new family account. But I think I've got it, as it's all been going smoothly.

Thanks again for all of your help!

• Great! If you need a nudge in the right direction for inviting the family this guide may help:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

Thanks again for all of your help!

You're very welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.