Moving from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7 for families

Bekele259
Bekele259
Community Member

I've been using 1Password since it was 1Password 4. I recently just moved from 1Password 6 to 1 Password 7 for families as I would like to share certain passwords with my family. I have had a few problems:

1. I set it up on my Macbook first and when I did so, it doubled all of my passwords. Is this normal?
  2. My Macbook is working fine but my other 1Password databases are not syncing with it (ipad, desktop pc, etc.). I assume I need to delete 1Password 6 and then reinstall. I can access 1 Password 7 via the browser but is there a desktop app for the PC like there used to be?
  3. I also run a business with about ten employees that I would like them to access 1 Password. I'm going to get a business account for them but is there a way I can personally use 1 Password 7 for families and use a business account?

Just trying to simplify my life as I'm juggling over 500 passwords for work/play/personal use.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac, Windows & IOS
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Bekele259 - thanks for being a long-time 1Password user, first of all! If you're new to 1password.com membership accounts, things are a little different but not too much. You still use the same native 1Password apps you're used to on all your devices, it's only the data storage and sync that are different. Instead of storing your data locally on your own device and only syncing if you wish, using one of our 3rd party methods like Dropbox or iCloud, in a 1password.com account, your data "lives" on the 1password.com servers, and all you need to do is sign into your account in the 1Password app on all devices you want to use it on.

But there's a transfer that has to take place, and that's what's caused this issue. 1Password didn't "double" your passwords; what happened is that as part of setting up your 1Password Families account, 1Password moved your existing (standalone) passwords into your new 1Password Families account vaults. But at the end of that process you chose NOT to remove your Primary vault, which effectively means that you kept both the new and the old copies of the data. It's easily solvable, however. Can I ask: has it been long since you made the migration? And have you added, deleted or changed much (any) of your data in the time since then?

• Bekele259
    Bekele259
    Community Member

I change all of my passwords each six months and I'm in the middle of doing this right now. So the good news is I've only changed all of my passwords to my "A" accounts: aflac.com, active.com, etc. I didn't want to get too deep into it since I know the data lives in my iphone, ipad X2, mac book, desktop pc, and two macs. I want to make sure they are all syncing before I unlink them.

So I currently use dropbox. What you are saying is I will use the 1Password server now instead of dropbox?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Bekele259

What you are saying is I will use the 1Password server now instead of dropbox?

In your previous message, you said that you "recently just moved from 1Password 6 to 1 Password 7 for families as I would like to share certain passwords with my family." I took that to mean you created a 1Password Families account. If that's the case, then yes, you'll be using 1password.com servers instead of Dropbox or any other advanced, 3rd party sync method.

Here's the question, then: have you been changing your passwords in the older Primary (standalone) vault, or in your new 1password.com vault(s)? Or don't you know, or is it a little of both? You can get a sense of what's been changed by switching to each vault in turn and setting the sort order at the top of the item list in the main 1Password window to "Date Modified." Let me know what you discover!

• RandyVT
    RandyVT
    Community Member

I have this trouble (and more) also. I also have been a long-time Dropbox user for my backups. Why wasn't there a step-by-step instruction sheet with "watch-out for" warnings for this migration process? And why not warn us to consider abandoning Dropbox if that's what 1Password 7 and setting up a Families account requires? I have been using 1Password since v 3, and I have never encountered the chaos I'm now faced with. I've got others in my family breathing down my neck -- the neck that enthusiastically recommended 1Password to them and got their hopes up for this new "Families license." My account is a mess.

Despite my problems, I thought I could calmly walk through this process with my wife's account before telling other family members to proceed. She had 188 items on her MacBook, her iPhone, and her iMac account, and I checked that all these accounts had claimed "synced in the last minute" before I started her migration. I sent my wife an "invite" from logging in to my.1password.com on my MacBook. Then signed in to her MacBook, updated her 1Password to v 7.2.4 and accepted that invite. Then I did what I thought was the right thing with her Vault. Now her Vault seems to have my name attached to it, not hers, and her "Vault" has 193 items and is under my name, not hers. PANIC. Have I inadvertently overwritten all of my private vault in this process? or will I if I OK her migration completion?
    So I go back to my MacBook and see that her name is now listed when I log in to my.1password.com, but the status is "pending."

I am reluctant to act on this pending status if that's the final step to have her Vault items overwrite my Vault items. I expected her Vault to have her name, not mine. How did this happen? How do I fix it?

And just like Bekele259 (above) I seem to have double entries, and no, of my apparent 817 entries in my Private Vault, I do not know which I may have updated from my phone, or my laptop, or my desktop. I previously had great respect for this 1Password update process through Dropbox. I just made changes from anywhere and they promptly propagated to all my devices or did so as soon as the device was turned on and connected to the Internet. Now I'm afraid I may have created a LOT of trouble. My 1Password 7 is showing as 1608 entries, not exactly double. Now that I've been in the "Families" account zone, has my syncing been partially happening to agilebits servers, and partially (or not at all) happening to the Dropbox backup process?

I feel paralyzed because I don't want to delete the valuable history of my software licensing, my logins and their changes, and many security notes for the people I have helped over the last 10+ years if I act to confirm my wife's "Pending" status and her Vault overwrites mine.

I have my Secret Code and my master password. How do I get out of this swamp? Can you send me the 256 page PDF of instructions I should have read first?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RandyVT - sorry for the trouble! Let's get you back up and running. A couple of points:

I also have been a long-time Dropbox user for my backups.

Dropbox has never been a backup system/location, it's a sync engine. In standalone 1Password for Mac (prior to version 7), your daily backups are kept in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups.

Why wasn't there a step-by-step instruction sheet with "watch-out for" warnings for this migration process?

There was indeed a specific guide for migrating to a 1password.com account. We don't include "watch out for" warnings in such guides unless they're for something that affects literally everyone doing the steps, because there are just too many potential setups for us to run down a laundry list of "now, if you have this situation, be sure to..." for all of them. That's one of the reasons we run both this forum and our email support: so if people are wondering or concerned about something, they can get in touch with us and ask before they get themselves into trouble.

And why not warn us to consider abandoning Dropbox if that's what 1Password 7 and setting up a Families account requires?

Because 1Password 7 for Mac doesn't require you to "abandon Dropbox"; users can choose either a 1password.com account or a standalone license with local data that can be synced via Dropbox. But when you create an account at 1password.com, then yes, your data are stored on and synced via 1password.com.

The most important thing here is not to panic. Seriously, it's bad for you, and it's quite doubtful anything has been done that can't be resolved. If both you and your wife have been previous users of standalone 1Password, then you will have backups of your data locally which can be used if necessary - but I doubt they will be necessary. At this point, to get a better idea of what might be going on with your specific setup/devices, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#FHB-16737-438]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @RandyVT only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: FHB-16737-438

This discussion has been closed.