Multiple personal vaults

Comments

• herrmauss
    herrmauss
    Community Member

+1 for this feature request. When I travel to the states I don't want to lock al my private vaults, since this will be seen as suspicious when they see a 1password app without passwords.

Why isn't it possible to set a new vault to private. I don't understand the difficulty to implement this because its already possible for 1 vault per person...

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2018

Hi @herrmauss,

I’m not sure I understand the use case here... could you please elaborate? You want a vault that can be accessed by customs, but not by your Family Organizer(s)?

Ben

• herrmauss
    herrmauss
    Community Member

Yes so the customs can see some of my passwords, since I believe its better to show some of your accounts. With an empty 1password they can ask you to disable the travel mode right?

A new private vault is not possible at the moment, only family vaults and I want to have choice when and what I want to share with my family. They dont have the rights to know some of my passwords.

• With an empty 1password they can ask you to disable the travel mode right?

Travel Mode is just a tool. They could potentially do that either way.

A new private vault is not possible at the moment, only family vaults and I want to have choice when and what I want to share with my family. They dont have the rights to know some of my passwords.

Correct. We’re evaluating how and if that can/should be changed. In the mean time one possible solution might be a separate individual membership which you do not share with anyone.

Ben

• TrevCostales
    TrevCostales
    Community Member

I'm thinking of upgrading to a Families account, but I read that a Families account only has one Personal vault. I currently have a 1Password subscription and have a few vaults that I would want to remain private only to me.

Is the Family account really limited to a single Personal vault per person, and if so are there plans to change that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hi @TrevCostales

I’ve merged your thread with another on the same subject. I believe you’ll find the answers to your questions above. :)

Ben

• EarthAura
    EarthAura
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

I would also love to see multiple personal vaults. My reason is that, in addition to me, my family members want to organize by vaults (e.g. personal / work). But unless they are promoted, they have no way of creating a second vault themselves. It has to go through me and even if I revoke my permission, I'll still be able to give myself access to the vault if I chose to. I'd prefer not having this power.

Personally I also use two vaults, Private and Archive. Archive is stuff I think I no longer need, and don't want showing up under All Vaults, but I keep it around in case the need ever arises.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know your use case! :)

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member

Add me the the "multiple personal vaults" list. I also use an archive vault much as @EarthAura describes. And while I have never used the feature, I'd like the option of splitting my main private vault in a way that would support your Travel Mode feature.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, thanks for the feedback! :)

• Danny_2002
    Danny_2002
    Community Member

Puppy ate my glasses so i apologize if someone already asked this and was answer and its also close to 2am.

I live with my uncles, they are up on age but going on 21. I got the family plan but went back to single plan because I don't want to know their passwords and it seems since I'm the main account holder I'll be able to see their password.

Can they password protect their own Vaults so i don't have access to them or would they have to get their own account?

Thank You for any info and like i said i apologize if this was already asked :blush:

• Hi @Danny_2002

No one can see anyone else’s Private vault, not even Family Organizers.

Ben

• steven1
    steven1
    Community Member

My solution to multiple 'Personal Vaults' is to have a local (called 'Primary' vault) that I sync via iCloud.

1P for families app still allow you to create local vaults (not stored on 1P servers).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's definitely one option. :)

• unitof
    unitof
    Community Member

Hello all. Is there any update from the AB team on supporting multiple personal vaults?

I've been happily chugging along for a while on a personal 1P subscription with 3 vaults (personal, plus two job-related vaults). This is the setup I like and makes sense, as if I were to leave one of the jobs I could transfer the vault to someone else without any risk or fear of sharing personal passwords.

But I've just upgraded to a family plan so my partner can also begin using 1P. The upgrade was primarily because it came with an eero free trial, but it seemed to make most sense for a family to pay one unified subscription, even if we'll mostly just be living in our own vaults. My Personal vault was automatically made my one allotted private vault.

But now I'm realizing that as soon as my partner accepts my invite, she'll be default receive access to my other 2 work vaults. I trust her and this isn't a huge deal, but sharing those work vaults wasn't what I intended. It looks like, one (and only once) she joins I can then remove her from the work vaults, but this means there's always a period of time, however brief, that new users have access to all vaults. I could see this being a huge risk for some users, say a parent whose kid would briefly have access to all work passwords, etc. It's not the privacy defaults I would have expected.

I think multiple private vaults should be allowed, and it seems there should be a way to invite new users and ensure they only have access to the vaults they're supposed to before they sign up, rather than defaulting to full access and needing to manually remove them from specific vaults.

• @unitof

I don't have any update to share but I did want to point out that when you add a family member to your membership the only vaults they have access to by default are their own "Personal"/"Private" vault and the built-in "Shared" vault. They would not have access to other vaults you've created. If you were to add someone as an organizer they could potentially add themselves to other shared vaults, but even then they wouldn't have access to them by default.

Ben

• JoshHernandez
    JoshHernandez
    Community Member

1+ for multiple personal vaults. I've been using 1Password for years, and recently switched to a family plan. I have multiple vaults (personal day-to-day, recovery vault, work vault). And I'd like my anyone else on my my family plan to be able to do the same and feel comfortable about it without me having the ability to look at someone else's work passwords or however they choose to segregate their passwords.

Also as it stands I have to create the extra vaults for anyone else in this family plan. I know that the local sync is a viable option, but some people on my end use android. Which results in only having one "local" vault that syncs up with dropbox rather than an arbitrary amount. I guess this is also another +1 for that feature, but I know there are no current plans for that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know it's something you want. We don't have anything to announce at this time, but it's something we'll continue to evaluate.

• KristianWa
    KristianWa
    Community Member

+1 for multiple personal vaults.
    Just started using 1Password, myself as a previous user of various other products and my wife as a first-time user. The first thing she wanted to do was to create a private vault in addition to the one you get by default.

After having discussed this, we ended up with:
    o To us, a vault represents context - focus on what you want to focus on and get rid of the rest. If you are organized tags will get you parts of the way, but to go all the way you would need more advanced functionality than choosing one tag (tag sets, not-operator, etc).
    o Having multiple private vaults would be handy for splitting up travel-safe and not-travel-safe private items.

Regards,

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KristianWa - can I ask: why could your wife (or you) not simply create a new vault for either travel-safe or non-travel-safe items as things stand right now?

• KristianWa
    KristianWa
    Community Member

@Lars - we could, but then it would be a shared vault (Family subscription). I didn’t find a way to create another private / personal vault. Did I miss something? I don't consider "manually synced local vaults" an option.

Paying for multiple subscriptions would also work, of course.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

@KristianWa When you create an additional vault, it is not shared by default. You can let people in via the vault settings. Only the "Shared" vault is always shared with everybody in a family account

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2019

Manaburner is correct. It is a "shared" vault, because each person can only have one "Private" vault, but shared vaults are only accessible to the person or people specified. Family Organizers can add themselves to any shared vault, but that is something they would need to do consciously if they weren't already added to the vault by the vault creator.

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@KristianWa - here's an example: I am a Family Organizer. Ben and Manaburner are members of my family, but not Organizers. Ben creates a vault and calls it "Shared with Manaburner." As the creator of this vault, he is the sole Manager of the vault, and (initially) its only member. Ben then clicks the gear icon on the vault to manage it, and gives Manaburner access. Now, the vault resembles its name: a vault shared between only Ben and Manaburner. Manaburner can view/edit the items in the vault, but not manage it or invite other people to it (unless Ben gives him access to do so). As the Family Organizer, I do not even SEE this vault on my normal Vaults page (the main page when I sign into my account in a browser. I'm not notified that it's been created, either. In fact, I will only see it if I specifically click the "Vaults" link in my sidebar, which allows me as the Family Organizer to see all vaults. Then I will see "Shared with Manaburner" in the list, and know that it exists.

Does that help?

• KristianWa
    KristianWa
    Community Member

@Manaburner, @Lars, and @Ben: Thanks for taking the time to help me :)

What you describe is fine in itself, but it still doesn't fit our requirement for multiple personal vaults for all members because there's no privacy due to the almighty Family Organizer.

I find your family offering is pretty good in terms of price and the sharing functionality. We'll settle for one personal vault each - using tags effectively - and at the same time enjoy the conveniently shared vault(s).

Regards,

PS: Just found your security whitepaper. It's too long to read right away, but looking forward to reading it to maybe get a better understanding of the security aspect itself and how shared vs personal is affected by the architecture/scheme.

• What you describe is fine in itself, but it still doesn't fit our requirement for multiple personal vaults for all members because there's no privacy due to the almighty Family Organizer.

I suppose that is true to a limited extent if your Family Organizer doesn't respect your privacy. Arguably that is more of a social/family issue than a technical one.

I find your family offering is pretty good in terms of price and the sharing functionality. We'll settle for one personal vault each - using tags effectively - and at the same time enjoy the conveniently shared vault(s).

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad to hear you've found a suitable workaround.

PS: Just found your security whitepaper. It's too long to read right away, but looking forward to reading it to maybe get a better understanding of the security aspect itself and how shared vs personal is affected by the architecture/scheme.

Awesome! I love to hear folks are reading the white paper. There is some really good albeit fairly technical information in there.

Ben

• ILove1P
    ILove1P
    Community Member

@Lars I laughed out loud when reading your most recent post because what you're seeming to find important to point out in your example situation is a case of ... Security Through Obscurity. (Said in a good-natured tone) Come On!!! That's the kind of "feature" a user can try to identify as being useful, but not a support staffer for a security company! ;)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2019

@ILove1p - sorry for the confusion; it wasn't intended as a security measure of any kind, that would indeed be more than a little silly. It was intended instead to point out what would need to occur in order for the Family Organizer to add him/herself to a vault they were not originally invited to. There's a distinct difference between the Family Organizer being added by server default to any new vault, regardless of the wishes of who created it, and the Family Organizer having to specifically enter vault management and then add him/herself to a vault they weren't invited to view. CAN the Family Organizer do this? Yes. But, as Ben points out, that's more of a social/family trust issue than a technical one. It's the difference between someone leaving their diary out, open on the kitchen table, and you going into that person's room when they're not there, searching for it in a drawer, opening it and reading it.

I coincidentally expanded on this a bit more in another thread, so rather than repeat the entire thing, you can read it there. Hope that helps

• warpspeed
    warpspeed
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Just wanted to add my +1 to the need for this feature. This is one of the features that is causing me to hold back from moving from older 1Password sync via Dropbox to 1Password subscription for Families. I use multiple vaults, and I have other family members who I have vaults shared with. I have separate vaults for my work and personal. I absolutely only want those to be available to me, and no other organiser. Right now I can do this via Dropbox sync as they simply aren't exposed/shared with the other users, so the other users never get the ability to see or change those vaults at all. It's impossible for them to touch them at all. Which works well. But is complicated to set up and maintain.

Ultimately, given how AgileBits promote the subscription features, it's in the interest to move users over to the subscription plans to make things easier going forward. To do that, users need to be able to have similar or equivalent features. Multiple 'Private' vaults is one of those for me, and it missing is a barrier to me moving over to the subscription service. For me, the subscription service is a significant cost, so if I'm going to shell out for that, then I want it to do what I need it to do. Please strongly consider prioritising this feature.

In addition to this, I've also read that in the subscription family plan there's a 'shared' vault that is accessible to everyone. That's another issue for me (for various reasons) - is this shared vault able to be disabled? if not, that's another one for the feature backlog and again a blocker to me moving over. Why? Well, lets just say, not all families fit the rosy sunny day scenario.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@warpspeed - thanks for taking the time to share your ideas and wishes about multiple personal vaults and disabling the Shared vault in 1Password Families!

There’s no mechanism to disable the Shared vault, but if you have no items you feel comfortable having all family members able to access, that vault can be deleted if you wish.

...lets just say, not all families fit the rosy sunny day scenario.

We get it. But 1Password Families was conceived and is based around the idea that there is a basic level of trust as well as a different authority structure in a typical family than there is in other types of groups. To be clear, if you plan to set up a 1Password Families account, you can achieve all of what you want (at least, as far as what you stated in your post) by not making anyone else a Family Organizer. That would have the drawback of meaning that only you could recover accounts, and if you ever lost or forgot your own credentials, the entire account would be lost...but that's no different than what has been the case in the past in standalone 1Password, or what exists right now with individual 1Password accounts: only you have the Master Password (and the Secret Key), and if you lose/forget it, we cannot reset it for you and all your data will be lost. Every other worry I've seen in this thread so far stems from people wanting to make other family members into Family Organizers in order to add that safety net but also being concerned about what such Organizers might do with such access/ability.

1Password Families is our most-affordable option (especially if you have four or five family members), and as I said, it carries some design concepts that reflect the idea that families are different from both individuals and corporations or partnerships or other types of human associations. But there are indeed other choices, which may suit some people's situations better:

1. Individual accounts - at $2.99/mo per person if paid annually, this would be end up being more expensive (especially with four or five members) than a 1Password Families account, but each person would be island unto him or herself - no Shared vault, and an unlimited capacity to create as many vaults as necessary or desired for one's individual situation.
    2. 1Password Business - at $7.99/mo per person, this option gives you everything you asked for, and more: other members can be given Recovery ability without giving them any additional administrative or ownership roles. As many vaults as needed or desired can be created, and each person's access to any vault could be very finely managed so they have individualized access to read and/or write to various vaults (or have no access at all), along with various other permissions. This is the kind of fine-grained control many businesses demand and it's been the bulk of the development work and intricacy of the 1password.com server architecture, which is reflected in the cost. But if you want the maximum flexibility and control over permissions and vaults, this is without a doubt the best choice.
This discussion has been closed.