Installing 1Password 7 license for users in advanced

Options
matsmalmsten
matsmalmsten
Community Member

Hi,

We use an automation tool to automatically install 1Password 7 to all our computers. With 1Password 6 I could simply put the license file in /Users/$userName/Library/"Group Containers"/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/License/ but this does not seem to work with 1Password 7. Is there some alternative way to automatically install the license for our users?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @matsmalmsten! If you're a business user of 1Password, do you have a 1Password Business (or 1Password Teams) account? If so, you don't actually need to put the license file anywhere, because 1Password does not require it when you're signed into a 1Password.com account. If you're using standalone 1Password, that's another matter...but it should work as it always has. Can you clarify whether you're using standalone 1Password or a 1password.com membership/account? Thanks.

• matsmalmsten
    matsmalmsten
    Community Member
    Options

Hi!

We are using standalone. We have purchased a volume license for 1Password 7. At this point we did not yet want to go the account way.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@matsmalmsten - thanks for clarifying. Can I ask which tool you're using? It may be a syntax issue, I suppose...but I wouldn't think so. Instead of "Group Containers" (in quotes) in the above example, have you tried Group\ Containers/ ?

• rudy
    Options

@matsmalmsten,

I would also make sure that:
    1. you're not using a 1Password 6 license file, it won't work for 7
    2. you aren't renaming the file to the wrong name, 1Password 7 has a different license file name/extension than 6 did.

• matsmalmsten
    matsmalmsten
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

@Lars The script places the license file in the correct place. I can see that it is there. But 1Password does not read the file

@rudy We are using a 1Password7 license file. I use the .onepassword7-license-mac extension.

Really confusing.

• Ben
    Options

@matsmalmsten

It seems our business team is going to be best positioned to address this for you. Could you please reach out to them at business@1password.com? When you email in you'll get a support ID from BitBot. Please post that ID here.

Thanks.

Ben

• matsmalmsten
    matsmalmsten
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

Thanks I have opened case [#QWR-24375-157]

Cheers,
    Mats

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@matsmalmsten - thanks; one of our team should be with you shortly. :)

• matsmalmsten
    matsmalmsten
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars

Problem solved. Thank you! Can share here that for 1Password 7 the license file needs to be put in /Library/Application Support/1Password 4/License/License.onepassword-license

After that 1Password 7 will find it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@matsmalmsten - I think you just did. ;) Glad it worked out for you!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@matsmalmsten - to be clear for anyone else reading this thread, you don't actually need to use that specific location. In fact the location you used, ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/License/ will only exist if a) the user had previously used 1Password 4, 5 or 6 for Mac, and b) had purchased 1Password directly from us (not the Mac App Store). Without those two things, that location will not even exist.

In 1Password 7 for Mac, we try to make it as simple and forgiving for the user as possible, so that is ONE of the locations that version 7 will check for licenses. But the correct location is indeed ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/License/~ for 1Password 7 for Mac licenses. The reason that didn't work for you initially (I'm guessing) has to do with renaming of the license file. 1Password 7 will look for a specific name, and if the file isn't named exactly that, it won't work regardless of where the license file is located.

To be clear, the proper way to pre-install a 1Password 7 for Mac license is:

1. into ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/License/
    2. (re)named 1Password 7 License.onepassword7-license-mac and nothing else.
This discussion has been closed.