Touch ID in auto pwd

nikiduboid
nikiduboid
Community Member

The auto fill password in iOS is awesome and makes using 1Password so much better. However, I always have to fill in my master password because my fingerprint is not asked and I can’t select the Touch ID option.

When I open the full app, I can authenticate with Touch ID. Any ideas?
I’m on iPad, latest official release of iOS and the 1Password app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @nikiduboid

Do you have 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Always show lock screen for Password AutoFill enabled? Please let me know.

Ben

• nikiduboid
    nikiduboid
    Community Member

Sorry for late reply. Setting is on (true)

• Thanks @nikiduboid. I'd recommend restarting the iPad:

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

The first time or two after restarting you may need to enter your Master Password but after that you should be able to use Touch ID. Please let me know what you find.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nikiduboid: Just to clarify, you'll need to unlock the main 1Password app using your Master Password. That will allow you to use Touch ID both for the app, and in Autofill/extension. If you're only entering it for Autofill/extension, that won't enable Touch ID on an ongoing basis.

• MitchellCash
    MitchellCash
    Community Member

@brenty is this something you are planning to change?

Possibly like other people here the most interaction I have is with the autofill extension and it gets very frustrating to keep having to type the mast password and not being able to trigger Touch ID for the next time.

I know I can open the main app and fill in the master password there which will then unlock the Touch ID ability, but because I’m already in the unlock flow within the autofill extension I tend to just type out the master password and forget about it until the next time when it frustrates me again that I can’t use Touch ID.

I know this sounds like a “me” problem, but I’ve read this similar sentiment elsewhere which leads me to believe the UX needs to be improved that when the app requires the master password you can enter the master password within the autofill extension and then the next time you use the autofill extension you can now use Touch ID. This is all without opening the “main app”.

• @MitchellCash

We recognize that it isn't an ideal situation and our development team has been looking into it. I couldn't make any promises though. It may turn out that this is simply a limitation of the system. That said, it should be fairly infrequent that this needs to be done... how often are you finding that you have to launch the main app to enter the Master Password?

Ben

• MitchellCash
    MitchellCash
    Community Member

@Ben thanks for the reply! I did wonder if it might be a limitation of the iOS extension system.

Regarding your question, I am having to type my master password more often than I would like, but that’s because of the way I use my iPad. I don’t use my iPad every day so it’s definitely more of an occurrence that the battery dies in the stretches between use and because I have my settings to require the master password after a device restart I run into the frustration more often.

However, I don’t see this issue as often on my iPhone because I am much more diligent in ensuring it stays charged!

• Gotcha. Yes, it is currently expected that you'd need to enter the Master Password in the main app after the device powers on. If that can be changed in a future release... that's something we're looking into. Thank you for the information. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.