Can I create aliases of items?

timlan
timlan
Community Member

I am using 1P for Teams and the best scenario I see for managing the access and items accessible to my team members is to create a vault specifically for each member/department to give them the specific items they need to do their work. This often involves overlap. I would like to manage a master vault with all items and then move copies of the needed items to the appropriate department vaults as they need. Can I create an "alias" of the items in the Master vault to share in the other vaults? The reason being, when I or they want to update passwords I need those updates to populate globally to all instances of that item. When I've tried to do this in the past, I may update/change a password, but those copies I've placed in other vaults don't update--they seem to function as independent/separate items. Is there a solution for this? Is there either a way to create "aliases"? Or is there a different management scenario I should be using?

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 7.7.2
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @timlan,

It's currently not possible to create aliases that way. It's something that I'd love for us to have, but there are some technical barriers that are getting in our way of being able to do this. I'm hopeful that one day we'll come up with the solutions for those problems.

The recommended solution tends to be "more, smaller vaults". In doing so it's usually easier to partition things such that you can assign them to the right people without needing to duplicate them. For example you could look at creating a vault per department. Then everyone in that department can share the credentials. By using smaller vaults and then assigning the vaults to groups, and assigning individual users to the groups they belong to it becomes easy to give an individual access to a large number of credentials by simply making sure that they're in the right groups.

I hope that helps.

Rick

• BLD
    BLD
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

+1 for item aliasing for the exact reasons @timlan cites. But I'd also like it if the feature could restrict modification of the item to the vault where it was actually stored -- thus allowing the "owner" to essentially grant read-only access to the items.

• That's an interesting idea. Thanks for sharing, @BLD.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.