Content of Secure Note gets deleted (and cannot be restored in the Android app)

regn
regn
Community Member

Hi

Sometimes a Secure Note get emptied. This happened once when I was editing the note, but unable to save (maybe due to connection problems). I tried to save the note several times, got an error every time. When I quit editing mode without saving, all the note's content had disappeared.

Since item history is not available in the Android app, there was no way to recover the contents of the note in the app. I had to log in to 1Password on a computer. From the item history it seemed like I had deleted all the contents of the note and then saved it (I did neither of this).

A couple of days later, another family member wanted to open the same note (long after I had recovered it and some problem-free edits later). It was empty when they opened it. They did not try to edit the note. I recovered the contents again from item history, and again it seemed like this family member had saved a new and empty version of the note, but the note was empty when they opened it.

I try to include all relevant details and hope it will help you figure out the problem. I am confident it did not happen due to an user error. It is a note in a vault shared by two family members. It contains a simple list of about 20 to 30 lines. I have only had the problem when viewing/editing this particular note in the Android app (but I have not edited noted extensively in the app either). I did not look at app log when it happened; I will if it happens again.

I was planning to buy a family subscription for my family, but this makes me worry that password entries could get emptied in the same fashion. I am able to use the item history to revert to the previous version (although it is a major inconvenience without this feature in the Android app), but other family members will not.

(NB: I use the beta version of the app, but the family member uses the latest stable version.)

1Password Version: 7.1.BETA-5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 8.1.0
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• regn
    regn
    Community Member

Hi

Sometimes a Secure Note get emptied. This happened once when I was editing the note, but unable to save (maybe due to connection problems). I tried to save the note several times, got an error every time. When I quit editing mode without saving, all the note's content had disappeared.

Since item history is not available in the Android app, there was no way to recover the contents of the note in the app. I had to log in to 1Password on a computer. From the item history it seemed like I had deleted all the contents of the note and then saved it (I did neither of this).

A couple of days later, another family member wanted to open the same note (long after I had recovered it and some problem-free edits later). It was empty when they opened it. They did not try to edit the note. I recovered the contents again from item history, and again it seemed like this family member had saved a new and empty version of the note, but the note was empty when they opened it.

I try to include all relevant details and hope it will help you figure out the problem. I am confident it did not happen due to an user error. It is a note in a vault shared by two family members. It contains a simple list of about 20 to 30 lines. I have only had the problem when viewing/editing this particular note in the Android app (but I have not edited noted extensively in the app either). I did not look at app log when it happened; I will if it happens again.

I was planning to buy a family subscription for my family, but this makes me uneasy that password entries could get emptied in the same fashion. I am able to use the item history to revert to the previous version (although it is a major inconvenience without this feature in the Android app), but other family members will not.

(NB: I use the beta version of the app, but the family member uses the latest stable version.)

1Password Version: 7.1.BETA-5 from Google Play
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Android 8.1.0
    Sync Type: 1Password account (EU)

• regn
    regn
    Community Member

I had assumed the question would warrant a reply. Do you know of the issue? Do you plan to fix it? As I have said, it makes me reluctant about signing up for a family account.

Or do I need to file a bug report elsewhere to get a proper reply? If so, where?

• Hi @regn. Thanks for reaching out about this.

So far, I've not been able to reproduce this behavior on my end. Do you happen to know if anyone else with access to the item may have edited it as well? Also, when you viewed the item's history, did it show that anyone else edited it, or just you?

• regn
    regn
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Thanks for replying, @peri! Since then, the Secure Note has been emptied two times. The first time the debug log was wiped, but this time I have one.

Today at 15:55 I opened the Secure Note in the Android app, edited one line and added another, then hit save. The app displayed a green checkmark and 'Saved'.

I immediately noticed the note was unchanged. I opened it again, edited one line and hit save. This time I got an error; the note couldn't be saved.

I returned to one of the app's main screens and the note was displayed as empty. (When I opened it, it was also empty.)

At this point I generated a 1Password Report, which I will quote from below.

Later I logged in to 1Password in my browser (where the note was empty, too), and accessed the note's Item History. On the top of the list was 'Last Monday at 7:01 PM', where the note was in the state before I tried to edit it today. I restored this version successfully. Now the Item History says:

• Today at 5:35 PM [when I restored it]
    • Today at 3:55 PM [empty, when I unsuccessfully tried to edit it in the Android app]
    • Last Monday at 7:01 PM [when I last edited it successfully (also in the Android app, in case that matters]

Nobody else edited the Secure Note in the meantime (as the logs confirm).

From the Report

Summary

1Password: 7.1.BETA-5 from Google Play
    Device: Nexus 6P running Android 8.1.0
    Mode: 1Password account
    Accounts: 2
    Vaults: 6

Device Information

Model: Nexus 6P
    OS Version: 8.1.0
    Root Status: false
    Manufacturer: Huawei
    Build: OPM7.181205.001
    Locale: en_US
    Display

Resolution: 2392 x 1440
    Density: 3.5
    Display DPI: 560
    Display Height: 2392
    Display Width: 1440
    Input Methods

Default: Simple Keyboard (rkr.simplekeyboard.inputmethod/.latin.LatinIME)

Input Methods:
    Simple Keyboard (rkr.simplekeyboard.inputmethod)
    Gboard (com.google.android.inputmethod.latin)

Application Preferences

Vaults
    Vault for saving: by************************
    Security
    Fingerprint Unlock: true
    PIN Protected: false
    Lock On Exit: true
    Automatically Lock: 10 mins
    Clear Clipboard: never
    Watchtower
    Check Compromised Logins: true
    Check Vulnerable Passwords: false
    Check Inactive 2FA: true
    Sync
    Sync Enabled: false
    Sync Method: KEYCHAIN_UNKNOWN
    Sync Path:
    Automatically Sync: false
    AutoSync on Cellular: true
    Notification: true
    Display
    Conceal Passwords: true
    Display Rich Icons: true
    Show Web Form: true
    Filling
    Autofill: true
    Accessibility: false
    Keyboard: false
    Advanced
    Allow screenshots: false

App Log

Nothing interesting here, I guess …

Starting from the last successfull edit:

01-21 15:28:49 [15:28:48] ####### Compromised Sites file download task started #######
    [15:28:49] Remote JSON file Last Modified: 1548074483000
    [15:28:49] Local JSON file Last Modified: 1547768097000
    [15:28:49] Compromised Sites file downloaded successfully.
    [15:28:49] ####### Compromised Sites file download task finished job. Needs reschedule: false #######
    01-22 08:16:11 [08:16:11] ####### Compromised Sites file download task started #######
    [08:16:11] Remote JSON file Last Modified: 1548074483000
    [08:16:11] Local JSON file Last Modified: 1548074483000
    [08:16:11] JSON file hasn't changed. No need to download.
    [08:16:11] ####### Compromised Sites file download task finished job. Needs reschedule: false #######

And so on. The last entries in the report:

01-24 15:37:37 [15:37:36] ####### Compromised Sites file download task started #######
    [15:37:37] Remote JSON file Last Modified: 1548074483000
    [15:37:37] Local JSON file Last Modified: 1548074483000
    [15:37:37] JSON file hasn't changed. No need to download.
    [15:37:37] ####### Compromised Sites file download task finished job. Needs reschedule: false #######
    01-24 15:54:32 [15:54:31] ####### Compromised Sites file download task started #######
    [15:54:32] Remote JSON file Last Modified: 1548074483000
    [15:54:32] Local JSON file Last Modified: 1548074483000
    [15:54:32] JSON file hasn't changed. No need to download.
    [15:54:32] ####### Compromised Sites file download task finished job. Needs reschedule: false #######

Sync History

First the last successfull edit (on Monday):

[19:01:18] ---Processing account:EF************************ (2) ---
    Account EF************************ id(2) exists already.
    Account is already up to date!
    ---done with processing account---
    [19:01:18] Stored session info
    [19:01:18] getting items...
    [19:01:18] Vault:by************************ (5) P ver:28 same
    [19:01:18] Vault:h2************************ (6) E ver:1 same
    [19:01:18] Vault:dx************************ (7) ver:13 same
    [19:01:18] Vault:4l************************ (8) ver:65 same
    [19:01:18] for upload uuid:e4************************... vaultVer:65 encryptedBy:xk************************ ver:52 templ:003 created:1546704359 updated:1548093677 fav:1000 Done.
    [19:01:18] Uploading 1 items for the vault 4l************************ (8) ...
    [19:01:18] Sending: [PATCH_ITEMS]  req:3
    [19:01:18] Response: [PATCH_ITEMS]
    [19:01:18] Parsing response [PATCH_ITEMS] ... Done.
    [19:01:18] Uploaded 1 items for the vault 4l************************ (8) 
    [19:01:18] Uploaded e4************************ (53)
    [19:01:18] Updating item e4************************ (32) after upload from ver:52 to:53 local count: 1 Done.
    [19:01:18] Updating vault content version from 65 to 66...  Done.
    [19:01:18] down:0/up:1/failed:0
    [19:01:18] Reporting item usage...
    [19:01:18] account does not support item usage.
    [19:01:18] Completed sync with success
    Sync task finished. Status: [SUCCESS]
    Finished sync at 19:01:18
    ###### END LOG ######

Then today's edit, which caused the Secure Note to be wiped:

[15:55:29] ---Processing account:EF************************ (2) ---
    [15:55:29] Stored session info
    [15:55:29] getting items...
    [15:55:29] Vault:by************************ (5) P ver:28 same
    [15:55:29] Vault:h2************************ (6) E ver:1 same
    [15:55:29] Vault:dx************************ (7) ver:13 same
    [15:55:29] Vault:4l************************ (8) ver:66 same
    [15:55:29] for upload uuid:e4************************... vaultVer:66 encryptedBy:xk************************ ver:53 templ:003 created:1546704359 updated:1548341728 fav:1000 Done.
    [15:55:29] Uploading 1 items for the vault 4l************************ (8) ...
    [15:55:29] Sending: [PATCH_ITEMS]  req:3
    [15:55:29] Response: [PATCH_ITEMS]
    [15:55:29] Parsing response [PATCH_ITEMS] ... Done.
    [15:55:29] Uploaded 1 items for the vault 4l************************ (8) 
    [15:55:29] Uploaded e4************************ (54)
    [15:55:29] Updating item e4************************ (32) after upload from ver:53 to:54 local count: 1 Done.
    [15:55:29] Updating vault content version from 66 to 67...  Done.
    [15:55:29] down:0/up:1/failed:0
    [15:55:29] Reporting item usage...
    [15:55:29] account does not support item usage.
    [15:55:29] Completed sync with success
    Finished sync at 15:55:29
    ###### END LOG ######

(When I compare both logs I see nothing whatsoever out of the ordinary. They look just the same. Maybe there is a bug with the editor itself?)

For completeness, the log entries from when I opened the app today before editing. As you can see, the vault 4l** version was the same as when saved it last Monday.

[15:54:38] ---Processing account:EF************************ (2) ---
    [15:54:38] Stored session info
    [15:54:38] getting items...
    [15:54:38] Vault:by************************ (5) P ver:28 same
    [15:54:38] Vault:h2************************ (6) E ver:1 same
    [15:54:38] Vault:dx************************ (7) ver:13 same
    [15:54:38] Vault:4l************************ (8) ver:66 same
    [15:54:38] No changes to any items.
    [15:54:38] Reporting item usage...
    [15:54:38] account does not support item usage.
    [15:54:38] Completed sync with success
    Finished sync at 15:54:39
    ###### END LOG ######

So where does that leave us? I am looking forward to your reply!

• Thanks for the info, @regn! Our development team is investigating this at the moment. From your description, I think I have a clear idea of the issue, but I just want to ask a couple of follow up questions to clarify a couple things.

First, would you say this is a long Secure Note? How long would you say it is? Does this happen when there's a single line of text or is it a rather long one?

Second, do you switch away from 1Password to another app and back to 1Password while editing the note? For instance, are you leaving to another app to copy text to place in the note. Or are you staying entirely in the 1Password app, editing, and saving, without ever switching away?

• regn
    regn
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

The Secure Note is just a list of about 40 or 50 items (one item per line). There are no long lines. I (or the family member) regularly add, remove or change one or more lines of items.

I am sure it has occurred that I switch to another app (or that the device gets locked) while editing the note. However, at least last time it was wiped, I simply pressed edit, edited a couple of lines, and then pressed save.

I hope you will figure it out! If you do, I will be curious to hear what caused the issue.

• Thanks @regn! I've asked @saad to look into this. We'll get back to you if we have more questions!

This discussion has been closed.