1Password app oddities on laptop

marksparks68
marksparks68
Community Member
edited January 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi,

I am on a trial membership of 1password7. I have the old standalone 1Password4 and also use Last Pass but I like the features the subscription offer, including Watchtower among other things.

I am using Windows 8.1 on an Acer Aspire V3-772g laptop.

However I made some mistakes, though not necessarily major issues. The first was I started the trial membership in 1Password.com not realising I should have chosen 1Password.eu since I am from the UK . I already purchased the 1Password app on my iphone, and then having a created an account starting a trial membership, I downloaded the desktop app onto my laptop. I logged into my account through my browser (before adding the browser extension) exported everything from my last pass account and so far so good. I then logged into my 1Password desktop app, which is great when you want to see everything more clearly and all was good. I then decided to change my master password through my account on the web and then updated it. Great! The desktop app I had locked before doing so, but when I went to log back in, I could not log on. It seemed baffling and being a newbie to the new subscribed 1Password app I didn't click on that what I had to do was to re-add my account directly because of the password change. Instead, I thought there was a problem with the app (I wished this was explained otherwise I would not have uninstalled the app). So I uninstalled the desktop app to reinstall it to see if this corrected the problem. The problem was that although I did that, there were left over items in the %AppData%/Local/1Password folder that I had to delete and had problems accessing the folder at first which I resolved and then permanently shredded the files. It's not the orthodox way to go about this and I had made the error of forgetting to scan for leftovers with my Revo uninstaller. Now, originally the first time I installed the app on my laptop before this problem it saved under my Current User account. When I reinstalled it I found it installed in my Administrator account? Nonetheless I ran the program and found I could still not log in with my new master password and it was only then it clicked to me looking through my account on my browser that I had to re-add my account directly. That done it allowed me to log into my desktop app on my laptop. I then added the browser extension and logged in on that which was fine. However, I noticed that I have 1Password folders on both the aforementioned C:/Adminsistrator/%AppData%/Local folder and also C:/CurrentUser/%AppData%/Local...but on the Administrator account, I have the app, data and log folders where the standalone app is installed and on the CurrentUser I have only the data and log folders? I assume the CurrentUser is storing the folders for my Browser extension though I am confused why the 1Password10Sqlite and log files are updated only for the browser extension on the current user and not the one in Administrator for the installed desktop app? Assuming I have that set up right?

Since I am currently still on the trial membership with 27 days to go, would it be better to close that account and open a new one under 1Password.eu instead and also uninstall the windows app and reinstall the app to start over again?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @marksparks68,

Thanks for writing in, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your 1Password accounts.

The desktop app I had locked before doing so, but when I went to log back in, I could not log on.

Did you try unlocking with the old password first? When you update your master password on the web, it has to sync to all clients and on Windows, if 1Password is locked, it can't sync. Once it is unlocked, it'll sync and prompt that it can't authenticate your account, you can click on it to sign in with the new master password.

So I uninstalled the desktop app to reinstall it to see if this corrected the problem. The problem was that although I did that, there were left over items in the %AppData%/Local/1Password folder

We don't touch your data when you uninstall 1Password, that's intentional in case you want to simply reinstall a specific version or come back later.

We just added a function to let you reset all 1Password data within the desktop app without having to reinstall the app. However, it is currently broken, it's fixed for the next stable update.

When I reinstalled it I found it installed in my Administrator account?

That's very odd, 1Password is a user-level instance app, it doesn't install to all accounts, just your current user account.

Did you ever right-click the 1Password installer to install it with admin permissions or use other program to install 1Password in the past?

Nonetheless I ran the program and found I could still not log in with my new master password

It would be using the database in your admin account at this point, not the current account.

Here's what I recommend; if you have all of your data already in your new account, let's clean it all up on the computer and install 1Password freshly. Here's how:

1. Use Control Panel to uninstall 1Password in all accounts located in your Windows accounts
    2. Rename data folder in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password directory in all your Windows accounts
    3. Install 1Password 7.3 from here: https://1Password.com/downloads/ in your current user account
    4. To fill in your secret key, it would be faster to sign in to your account at https://my.1Password.eu and click your name on top right to select Get the apps. Scroll down until you see the blue button labeled Have the app already? Add your account details, click it and 1Password will open up with your data filled in, so you can sign in with your master password now.

Let me know if that helps.

• marksparks68
    marksparks68
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply

Did you try unlocking with the old password first? When you update your master password on the web, it has to sync to all clients and on Windows, if 1Password is locked, it can't sync. Once it is unlocked, it'll sync and prompt that it can't authenticate your account, you can click on it to sign in with the new master password.>

I did not try it with the old password admittedly no. I only tried it with the new one, uninstalled the desktop add (which I realise I did not need to do) then reinstalled it, re-added the account directly which allowed it to sync the new password. If I had thought logically about it I would have tried the old password first.

We don't touch your data when you uninstall 1Password, that's intentional in case you want to simply reinstall a specific version or come back later.

We just added a function to let you reset all 1Password data within the desktop app without having to reinstall the app. However, it is currently broken, it's fixed for the next stable update.>

I understand that now. When I uninstalled it on Revo uninstaller the second time, it found the left items, i.e Data folder and Logs folder. In fact with that in mind I supposed I only needed to rename the backup folder and deleted the logs folder (if necessary).

That's very odd, 1Password is a user-level instance app, it doesn't install to all accounts, just your current user account.

Did you ever right-click the 1Password installer to install it with admin permissions or use other program to install 1Password in the past?>

Thinking about it perhaps this might be why; I had installed it with RevoUninstaller, which of course requires admin permissions as well. When I reinstalled it the second time as you suggested (see below) I did not install with Revo and it installed in my user account

Here's what I recommend; if you have all of your data already in your new account, let's clean it all up on the computer and install 1Password freshly. Here's how:

Use Control Panel to uninstall 1Password in all accounts located in your Windows accounts
    Rename data folder in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password directory in all your Windows accounts
    Install 1Password 7.3 from here: https://1Password.com/downloads/ in your current user account
    To fill in your secret key, it would be faster to sign in to your account at https://my.1Password.eu and click your name on top right to select Get the apps. Scroll down until you see the blue button labeled Have the app already? Add your account details, click it and 1Password will open up with your data filled in, so you can sign in with your master password now.
    Let me know if that helps.>

If I have all of my data in my new account? I assume you mean my secret key and master password but this was created with subscribing to a trial period on 1Password.com so....although I followed your recommendations and uninstalled 1Password in all accounts located on my window accounts and renamed the data folder in %LocalAppdata% and then reinstalled 1Password I could not sign into my account on https://my.1Password.eu. It said my sign-address, email address, secret key or master password is incorrect. Therefore...is the only way I can resolve that to unsubscribe to the trial period on 1Password.com and delete the account, and create a new account on 1Password.eu and re-subscribe to the trial period (and presumably the new account will mean a new secret key)?

• marksparks68
    marksparks68
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply.

Did you try unlocking with the old password first? When you update your master password on the web, it has to sync to all clients and on Windows, if 1Password is locked, it can't sync. Once it is unlocked, it'll sync and prompt that it can't authenticate your account, you can click on it to sign in with the new master password.

Admittedly I did not try unlocking it with the old password first. I tried the new one, uninstalled the app, then reinstalled it and added the account directly from 1Password.com which would have synced it then I signed in with my new account. I realised afterward all that was unnecessary but that was after the fact.

We just added a function to let you reset all 1Password data within the desktop app without having to reinstall the app. However, it is currently broken, it's fixed for the next stable update.

I realise now that after uninstalling 1Password the second time (not with Revo Uninstaller) from control panel uninstall programs, I reinstalled it, and saw that the app, data and log folders were all still there in the admin account. Since I am not wanting the App installed in my admin account, I deleted all 3 folders.

Did you ever right-click the 1Password installer to install it with admin permissions or use other program to install 1Password in the past?

That explains it; I had re-installed it the first time with Revo-Uninstaller, which also requires admin permissions to run and must explain why it installed in my admin account. When I reinstalled it the second time as you suggested (see below) this installed in my current user account as it should have done.

Use Control Panel to uninstall 1Password in all accounts located in your Windows accounts
    Rename data folder in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password directory in all your Windows accounts
    Install 1Password 7.3 from here: https://1Password.com/downloads/ in your current user account
    To fill in your secret key, it would be faster to sign in to your account at https://my.1Password.eu and click your name on top right to select Get the apps. Scroll down until you see the blue button labeled Have the app already? Add your account details, click it and 1Password will open up with your data filled in, so you can sign in with your master password now.

By already having all my data in my new account I assume you mean my secret key and master password.

I uninstalled 1Password from Control Panel in all accounts located in my Windows accounts (only the Admin account had it installed as mentioned above) and renamed the data folder in %LocalAppdata% (Can I not delete this old data folder anyway?).

I then reinstalled 1Password as you suggested into my current user account (not using Revo-Uninstaller this time).

It won't, however, let me log into 1Password.eu however as it comes up with the message that the email address and secret key are not correct. I am assuming that this has to be because I created the account on 1Password.com starting my trial period on there so it is not that I should cancel the trial period on 1Password.com and then delete that account first, to delete all vaults etc and then create a new account on 1Password.eu starting a trial period on there (for which presumably a new secret key will be created for it)?

• marksparks68
    marksparks68
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply. Had to rewrite this reply for the third time as for some reason it disappeared the first two times even despite the draft saves, so the third time I rewrote it and saved it as a file on my hard drive in case this happened again. Really irritating!

Admittedly I did not try it with the old password first. After I could not sign into the desktop app with the new password, I uninstalled then reinstalled the app, and re-added the account directly from 1Password.com and it synced and I was able to sign in. I realise afterwards of course all this was unnecessary but that was after the fact.

I realise that, after uninstalling 1Password the second time as the App, data and log folders were all still in the Admin account, and I deleted those folders this time because I do not want the app in the Admin account.

That explains it! Yes, I had reinstalled it the first time using Revo-Uninstaller, which requires admin permissions first, which must be why it installed there and not my current user account

Here's what I recommend; if you have all of your data already in your new account, let's clean it all up on the computer and install > 1Password freshly. Here's how:

I uninstalled 1Password from all Windows accounts (it was only installed in my Admin account anyway) and renamed the data folder in %LocalAppdata% (Can't I just delete this folder anyway?)

I then reinstalled 1Password for second time the proper way so it installed in my curret user account.

I tried signing in to my account at 1Password.eu but it would not allow me to as it said the email and secret key are not correct; and surely this is because I created my account and free trial period on 1Password.com? Should I not, therefore, cancel my trial period and delete the account there first, then create a new account and start a trial period on 1Password.eu (and presumably it will create a new secret key)?

Your help and advice is much appreciated

• marksparks68
    marksparks68
    Community Member

Hi Mike,
    Thank you for your reply. Had to rewrite this reply for the third time as for some reason it disappeared the first two times even despite the draft saves, so the third time I rewrote it and saved it as a file on my hard drive in case this happened again. Really irritating!

Admittedly I did not try it with the old password first. After I could not sign into the desktop app with the new password, I uninstalled then reinstalled the app, and re-added the account directly from 1Password.com and it synced and I was able to sign in. I realised afterward of course all this was unnecessary but that was after the fact.

I realised that, after uninstalling 1Password the second time as the App, data and log folders were all still in the Admin account, and I deleted those folders this time because I do not want the app in the Admin account.

That explains it! Yes, I had reinstalled it the first time using Revo-Uninstaller, which requires admin permissions first, which must be why it installed there and not my current user account

Here's what I recommend; if you have all of your data already in your new account, let's clean it all up on the computer and install

1Password freshly. Here's how:

I uninstalled 1Password from all Windows accounts (it was only installed in my Admin account anyway) and renamed the data folder in %LocalAppdata% (Can't I just delete this folder anyway?)

I then reinstalled 1Password for the second time the proper way so it installed in my current user account.

I tried signing in to my account at 1Password.eu but it would not allow me to as it said the email and secret key are not correct. Surely this is because I created my account and free trial period on 1Password.com? Should I not, therefore, cancel my trial period and delete the account there first, then create a new account and start a trial period on 1Password.eu (and presumably it will create a new secret key)?

Your help and advice is much appreciated

• Hi @marksparks68,

I tried signing in to my account at 1Password.eu but it would not allow me to as it said the email and secret key are not correct. Surely this is because I created my account and free trial period on 1Password.com?

The regions do not connect to each other, which is intentional to comply with the regulations in that region. In other words, whatever you have on 1Password.com cannot affect anything on 1Password.eu.

Did you ever print out the Emergency Kit PDF file for your 1Password.eu account?

• marksparks68
    marksparks68
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply

The regions do not connect to each other, which is intentional to comply with the regulations in that region. In other words, whatever you have on 1Password.com cannot affect anything on 1Password.eu.

Did you ever print out the Emergency Kit PDF file for your 1Password.eu account?

Yes I realised that whatever I have on 1Password.com cannot affect anything on 1Password.eu.

And I never created an account on 1Password.eu (as yet). The Emergency Kit PDF file I have is for 1Password.com. Which is why I was confused why you asked me to try signing into my account on 1Password.eu (which is the region I would have chosen to create an account had I realised). So again, I'll ask; do I cancel my 1Password.com trial period and delete the account on there and create a new account on 1Password.eu?

Obviously there is confusion and misunderstanding on both our parts here.

• Hi @marksparks68,

My apologies, I did incorrectly presumed you've created a new account on 1Password.eu; that's why I got confused as to why you can't sign in to the new 1Password.eu account.

For security reasons, 1Password will not tell you that the account doesn't exist, it behaves like that for all accounts, valid or invalid (to prevent brute-force attacks).

So again, I'll ask; do I cancel my 1Password.com trial period and delete the account on there and create a new account on 1Password.eu?

I would not suggest deleting anything until you have transferred your existing data in 1Password.com account to the new 1Password.eu account that you create separately. You can sign in to that account in addition to your existing 1Password.com account in the Windows app. Once all of your data is on the EU account, you'd then have that account signed out of the Windows app and then request the deletion of your 1Password.com account.

• marksparks68
    marksparks68
    Community Member

Hi Mike,

Thank you again for your reply. I was thinking it would be something along those lines but I wanted to confirm first before I decided to change to 1Password.eu.

Thank you kindly for your help and I will do that. Much appreciated!

• You're welcome! We're here any time to provide further assistance.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.