To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I upgrade to a family account from a long-time, standalone 1Password installation?

Options
Chris Rand
Chris Rand
Community Member

I'd like to upgrade to a family account. My 1Password installation (now 6.8.9) has been running since 2010 and was purchased from the AgileBits Store. How do I do this? At the 1Password site, there does not seem to be an upgrade option. I assume I don't want to "try it for free", so I guessed I need to sign in to my account, about the only other option given. But to do this I require a Secret Key, which I don't have, and I'm not supposed to have, apparently. So do I assume that whatever this "account" is, I don't have one to sign in to? In which case, how can I upgrade to a family account? Or should I just set up a new, separate account/installation for other family members?

I like to think of myself as a reasonably bright guy, but I'm confused on this one!

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hey Chris,

I'm sorry for the confusion! Since you're using the standalone version of 1Password, you don't have an account yet. In this case, you would want to try it for free - you'll actually get a free 30 day trial of a 1Password Families membership! You can also migrate over your existing items to the new account:
    https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

Let me know if you have any more questions!

• Chris Rand
    Chris Rand
    Community Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Aha! Thanks! Maybe that should be made more obvious. Your quick response was appreciated.

• rob
    Options

That's a good point, @Chris Rand. I was just chatting about this with some other teammates. What kind of wording or button would have helped you understand which path to take?

• Chris Rand
    Chris Rand
    Community Member
    Options

I think a separate link for people who want to upgrade from a standalone version to the subscription version might be best. That could take people to a page which explains the benefits and shows the two options.

• rob
    Options

Ok. Thanks, Chris. The link Meek gave you is prominent on support.1password.com, but we'll think about how to find this from the home page more easily.

This discussion has been closed.