Syncing 1Password 7 via dropbox but don't have an .opvault file

sarge368
sarge368
Community Member

I have been running 1Password for years and syncing with Dropbox. I currently have 1Password on an iPhone and iPad running iOS 12.1.3, and an Early 2009 iMac running OS X El Capitan. The 1Password on the iMac is 6.8.8. I am replacing the iMac with a MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.1. My Dropbox file for 1Password is listed on all devices as 1Password.agilekeychain . I have downloaded 1Password 7 on the MacBook Pro and I have selected Sync Using Dropbox at the start up screen. The next screen ask to Choose File on Dropbox but is looking for a file ending in ".opvault". The file 1Password.agilekeychain is grayed out and I cannot select it. Do I need to convert the file somewhere in 1Password? Thank you for your assistance.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Mojave 10.14.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi sarge368,

The .agilekeychain format is very old and was replaced with .opvault as the default a few years ago. With 1Password 7, the ability to sync to .agilekeychain files is removed. So, you will need to update the sync format.

To do this, on your iMac, running 1Password 6.8.8:
    1. Visit 1Password > Preferences > Sync
    2. Disable Dropbox sync by selecting None from the menu.
    3. Re-enable Dropbox sync by selecting Dropbox from the same menu.
    4. Select your Dropbox folder.

1Password will now create a .opvault file on Dropbox, which you can select with 1Password 7 on your MacBook Pro.
    You will also need to visit the sync preferences on all other devices you use (e.g. phone) and point them at the new .opvault file.

• Here is a better support article with instructions: https://support.1password.com/cs/switch-to-opvault/

This discussion has been closed.