Autofill password on popup using DOM erroneously populates email address too

Options

Okay, you may have to sign up for a free account on Airbnb to see this in action and reproduce, but it really drove me nuts thinking Airbnb had a bug (and maybe they still do, but a different one) until I realized 1P was getting confused by whatever DOM magic Airbnb is doing. This may very well apply to other web sites.

Airbnb like many sites has an Edit Profile page. On that page is an Email Address field which I am trying to update. When that is filled out, I press a Save button at the bottom. They use DOM manipulation to "popup" a dialog asking for my password to verify the change. I use 1P autofill for the password, but behind the scenes (literally and figuratively) 1P has changed the Email Address field back to what it thinks it should be. Aaargh.

I can struggle to get you some occluded screenshots -- but I'm really hoping that description is enough.

My guess is that Airbnb isn't doing things properly to "deactivate" the DOM elements (although everything under the popup is dimmed / grayed) and that is tripping up 1P. Hopefully you can reproduce this yourself with an Airbnb account to debug.

Workaround of course is to bypass autofill and manually copy the password and paste it in.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90 (Firefox 65.0)
OS Version: OS X 10.14.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @BLD. I just helped another user with a similar problem and one of the things I suggested is to see if 1Password X works better for properly filling. Could you give it a try as well and let us know, particularly if you're able to use the inline menu? There's an improvement in 1Password X that hasn't yet made its way back to our older extension, and I'm hopeful this will work better for you.

Let us know how it goes!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ 1Password
    Olympia, WA

• BLD
    BLD
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 I will try to do so in the next couple of days, but Airbnb accounts are free -- you should be able to reproduce this error which would allow you to directly debug it.

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hey @BLD, thanks for the detailed information. I did some testing on my end and can reproduce the issue with 1Password X. I'll file a bug report for us to look into, but I can't tell you exactly when we'll be able to get to it.

In the meantime, you can change the email to the one you want directly in the Login item, so it won't matter that it was filled in the email field.

ref: xplatform/brain#95

This discussion has been closed.