Should I delete stored payment information on Amazon?

buddyboy101
buddyboy101
Community Member

I'm new to 1Password, and curious if I should delete stored credit cards on Amazon's website and other online retailers (i.e. not credit cards stored on Chrome, which I believe should be deleted once using 1Password regardless) once my credit cards are saved to 1Password. I guess my underlying concern is whether having credit card info stored in both 1password and Amazon's website is at all redundant or exposes me to risk that outweighs any convenience?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nedmullen1
    nedmullen1
    Community Member

hallo :) thats actually an interesting question i have been wondering much the same myself! Definitely on almost every single other website that I shop on I have removed my credit card details because the 1Password option for credit cards is so darn handy and seamless and fast. Then again on sites like paypal I do currently have my card details saved there for ease of use especially on my mobile phone because within the paypal app it is faster to speed through a checkout. At least on amazon I know when you use a card on your browser at checkout it saves your card details so you would have to go in and remove it every time after checkout which could be cumbersome. I wonder what other people think :)

• I personally don't have an issue with storing my details with Amazon, as I'm an Amazonoholic, and the convenience outweighs any concerns for me. It does expose you to an additional threat, but my assessment of that threat for me personally is that it is a fairly negligible risk.

Ben

• buddyboy101
    buddyboy101
    Community Member

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll remove where it makes sense.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@buddyboy101: It's definitely something worth considering and deciding ourselves, each of us. I think of it this way: using a long, strong unique password for accounts like Amazon keeps me secure so long as there isn't a data breach of the site itself. No one will guess my password until long after it is useful. But I do like to minimize the amount of payment information I store at websites for a more practical reason: when I get a new credit card, it's less for me to have to update (I tag Login items with the credit cards used there to make it easier for me to do that too). :tongue: Certainly it is a pain when I've experienced credit card fraud, but most if not all credit card companies are very good at dealing with this, so it hasn't actually cost me anything when it has happened. But I think nedmullen1 raises a great point as well: 1Password makes it easy to fill payment information, so it isn't really necessary to save it except in cases where you're shopping at the same place often. For me, Amazon is on that list. But there are a lot of sites where I just don't save it because I may be doing a single purchase and never return. And for vendors without long track records, it's probably best not to have them save it. But it's something we can all decide on a case-by-case basis. :)

• buddyboy101
    buddyboy101
    Community Member

Very helpful feedback, thanks @brenty !

• On behalf of brenty you're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.