Is it possible to perform a "not equal to" or "not including" search?

Options
FalacyNine
FalacyNine
Community Member
edited January 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm wondering if there is a way to perform a search like "Banking -Archived", meaning any login tagged with Banking, not including those tagged with Archived.

I want to maintain old logins but I don't want them cluttering my space. I'd rather not "maintain" them in the trash. The only other thought I had is to maybe transfer them to a separate vault...which I'm also not a fan of.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:"not equal to" "search"

Comments

• Hey, @FalacyNine! We don't currently have the ability to exclude certain tags from search, but it would be super cool. I adore the types of searches you mention. It's something that's just second nature to me at this point and I get extremely giddy every time we introduce new search super powers. I hope to see it one day.

For now, I actually would recommend an archive vault. The great thing about having these in another vault is you can exclude that vault from All Vaults. This makes those items accessible when you need them by selecting that vault in your sidebar, but when you're searching All Vaults or just scrolling through, you won't see any of those archived items. They're there, but not creating any unnecessary clutter. Give it a go and, if you need help getting those items out of the way, let me know. I'm happy to lend a hand. :chuffed:

• FalacyNine
    FalacyNine
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate - thanks for the 411! I didn't know you could exclude a vault from All Vaults!! That's actually the reason I said I was not a fan of this option but now I am. Thanks again!

P.S. having advanced search capabilities would be nice and gets my vote. Fwiw, I chose 1Password over Dashlane because I like the search better :) so never accept the status quo of "it's good enough"

• It's no trouble at all, @FalacyNine! I adore the All Vaults feature (in part because my folks have this habit of sharing a ton I just don't need) so I'm delighted to spread the love. Thanks again for your feedback on search and we'll certainly be sure to keep improving. Lots of stuff is better every day, but nothing is ever truly done, right? :wink:

• FalacyNine
    FalacyNine
    Community Member
    Options

I think it's worth noting that I needed to exclude my Archived vault in both the desktop and mobile app independently.

I initially just assumed excluding a vault from one app would propagate to all others but that doesn't seem to be true. I panicked for a second thinking that the mobile app didn't support the same feature but then found it hidden away in the settings.

• Hi @FalacyNine,

That's intentional, app settings are not sync'ed across your devices, only your 1Password data.

The reason is that the usage can be different on different device. If you're on a work computer, you most likely may not connect your personal 1Password account, so the settings no longer make sense or vis versa.

• FalacyNine
    FalacyNine
    Community Member
    Options

The use case makes sense.

I guess I'm questioning what should be the default behavior though. Are there more people that expect settings to be synced or not... In any case, it would be nice if there was a toggle to enable/disable the syncing of settings.

In general I would agree with the statement that app settings should not sync across devices but you also have a web interface... And just the overall feeling of 1password, to me (a new user), is that everything syncs to a server somewhere.

• Hi @FalacyNine,

We'd love to include it in a future update, it's just that we don't yet have consistent settings across platforms either. We need to first align all of our apps to be consistent and then we'll like to enable syncing as an option.

This discussion has been closed.