Community Member
edited February 2019 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Nothing happens when I click extension. I have:
Version 4.6.2.626
Chrome version 72.0.3626.81
Windows 10 Pro (Bitlocker enabled)
Trend Micro Maximum Security
This setup worked fine for months.

I can open 1Password from my Windows Start Menu. Just the extension doesn't work.

Is it safe (i.e. I won't lose the program that IS working) to uninstall the extension and reinstall?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CarloCuneo,

Thanks for getting in touch! I am sorry for the issues with 1Password 4.

1Password 4 for Windows will not work with Chrome 72, because Google updated their signing certificate. 1Password 4 for Windows will not recognise it. Please check this reply from Kate about this situation.

If you want to use 1Password 4 for Windows, you can switch to a different browser, 1Password extension should work there. However, I would recommend you to take a closer look at 1Password 7 for Windows:

Get to know 1Password 7 for Windows

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• eUnisk
    eUnisk
    Community Member

Hey Guys,

Just found the chrome extension (which requires desktop app) stopped working after I upgraded chrome to v72.

Is it my own computer's problem or something that needs a fix or I that meas 1password 4 is too old to work anymore?

I'm expecting a official answer here so that I won't spend too much time on trouble shooting.

1Password Version: 4
    Extension Version: Lastest
    OS Version: Win 10
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @eUnisk,

Thank you for getting in touch! I moved your thread to 1Password 4 category of the forum. I hope you don't mind.

1Password 4 for Windows will not work with Chrome 72, because Google updated their signing certificate and 1Password 4 for Windows will not recognise it. Please see this reply from Kate about this situation.

If you want to use 1Password 4 for Windows, you can switch to a different browser, 1Password extension should work there. However, I would recommend you to take a closer look at 1Password 7 for Windows:

Get to know 1Password 7 for Windows

Chrome 72+ will only work with 1Password 7. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• SnowyOwl
    SnowyOwl
    Community Member

Chrome 72.0.3626.81 update is out. Extension stopped working: no reaction to left-click.
    Helper restart and extension reinstallation have no effect.

@bundtkate the problem is mentioned here.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
    Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
    OS Version: Windows 8.1
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• CarloCuneo
    CarloCuneo
    Community Member

Thank you, Greg. I'm I right that there is no more standalone version of 1Password? Deciding whether to switch browsers or go to version 7.

• Hi @CarloCuneo,

1Password 7 offers both standalone licenses and 1Password.com subscription together in one app. You can actually install 1Password 7 now and open the same vault from 1Password 4, it'll let you view the data as read-only and you can decide if you want to buy the license in there or switch to 1Password.com subscription as well.

• CarloCuneo
    CarloCuneo
    Community Member

Thank you, Mike.

When I look, I don't see pricing for standalone, only subscription. Where can I get standalone pricing?

Carlo

• MikeT
    edited January 2019

Hi @CarloCuneo,

You'll find it within the 1Password 7 app itself, it has real-time pricing as well as reflecting your locale currency. We don't list the store on our website as we're focusing mainly on 1Password.com to keep it simple.

It's 49.99$ at the moment.

• Hi @SnowyOwl,

I've merged your post in this thread about 1Password 4 no longer supporting Chrome 72. Please read the second reply from Greg on top of this page.

You can either switch browsers that are still supported like Firefox, Brave or Vivaldi or update to 1Password 7 to restore support for Chrome 72 or later.

• DwightL
    DwightL
    Community Member

I saw another member mentioned this in another conversation, but thought a new discussion would maybe shed more light on the problem. I use Win7 64, and although Password works fine using IE, I also use Chrome more often. Tried deleting and reloading 1Password in Chrome, but no change.

• Hi @DwightL,

Thanks for writing in, I've merged your post in our 1Password 4 forum here; 1Password 4 no longer supports Chrome 72 or later. Please read the second reply from Greg on top of this page.

• DwightL
    DwightL
    Community Member

So although I bought a license for 1Password, it won't support Chrome anymore?

• eenochs
    eenochs
    Community Member

Apologies if this is already reported. I have windows 10 1709, Chrome version 72.0.3626.81 and 1Password original (no subscription) version 4.6.2.626

Yesterday all of a sudden the 1Password extension stopped working, i've seen some threads but not sure what the resolution is in my case since i don't have the subscription. Any advice

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hi @DwightL,

You've bought a license for a specific version of 1Password, which in this case, 1Password 4. We stopped selling new licenses for 1Password 4 a few years ago but this specific version is now in the legacy stage of support; it will only receive critical security updates for the product itself. Future browser updates like Chrome 72 in this case has changed enough that it would require an update to 1Password 4 to support, which we will not offer because we're supporting 1Password 7 only right now.

There is another option, which is 1Password.com service, which does come with all 1Password apps and all future upgrades included in its annual fees that you can check out here: https://support.1password.com/explore/membership/

• CarloCuneo
    CarloCuneo
    Community Member

I downloaded the extension on Firefox. It also doesn't work. Is Firefox also no longer supported?

• DwightL
    DwightL
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Ok, @MikeT- I'm giving 7 a try. Took me a few minutes to figure out how to import logins from 1P 4, but seems ok. Several years of good service from 1P 4 calls for an effort to stay with your product. I understand that it takes a constant income stream to keep up with changing technology. Thanks.

• johnkessler
    johnkessler
    Community Member

I have the same issue except I am running Windows 10 1803. Same version of Chrome and 1Password. I believe the issue might be due to the latest Chrome update. I noticed it begin shortly after my Chrome browser updated. Firefox still works fine for me.

• hysterio
    hysterio
    Community Member

There is another thread that discusses this in regard to 1password 7 and chrome 71 and invalid certificates. They provided a fix for that versions, but I'm curious what's the response to 1password 4 users as I'm in the same boat.

I originally bought 1password because it had mac and windows apps with no subscription. It was disappointing to see windows always being left behind while mac was updated.

• markherdeg
    markherdeg
    Community Member

Turning off "Verify web browser code signature" in 1Password 4 (under Help/Advanced) appears to make the extension work fine with Chrome 72.

• @johnkessler, @hysterio, and @markherdeg, I've merged the thread y'all were in with an existing thread on the topic of 1Password 4 and Chrome 72 as we've already gone over a lot here and I think it should help. I hope you don't mind. There's more detail about all of this above, but in short we won't be deploying a fix for this in 1Password 4. As MikeT covers in more detail here, 1Password 4 is in maintenance mode from a development perspective, so issues that aren't security problems and require an update to 1Password 4 specifically aren't going to be addressed. 1Password 7 is available, supports both 1Passsword accounts and standalone vaults, and has recently been updating to add some features our 1Password 4 customers were missing, like unlock on Secure Desktop. I'd encourage all of you to check it out and of course, we're here if you have questions. :+1:

• @CarloCuneo: Any chance you installed 1Password X rather than the 1Password companion extension for Firefox? I know 1Password X is the only one available on AMO, so it can get folks at times. The extension that absolutely should still work with 1Password 4 can be found on our downloads page. If you've got the right one and it's still giving you trouble, check that native messaging is enabled. Choose Help > Advanced in 1Password 4 and make sure "Use Native Messaging protocol" is checked. If it's not, click that option, restart Firefox and give it another go. Of course, if none of the above helps, let me know. :+1:

@DwightL: Thanks so much for your understanding and your support. Ending regular updates for a version of 1Password is always tough because we know and appreciate that y'all have enjoyed 1Password 4 and may not want to upgrade just yet. I'm glad you're open to giving 1Password 7 a try and if there's anything at all the team and I can do to help as you make the transition, you need only ask. :chuffed:

• KayN
    KayN
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

I have a new computer, windows 10 and couldn't get my 1 password 46.2626 to work with the chrome extension and now I see why. I have the old version on my new computer and can open it. I have my licensed 1 password acct on multiple other computers and devices synced with dropbox. If I upgrade to the newer version (1password 7) will it sync across all my other devices? Is this going to be difficult to get back to a working status?
    Can I download the 1password 7 software with the old acct on the desktop?

• @KayN: I've split your comment off from the original thread and moved it into this one since we've been discussing trouble with 1Password 4 and Chrome 72 here. You'll find some additional detail about this in the comments above, but in short you're on the right track. 1Password 7 will work with Chrome 72 and can sync across all of your devices. You may see a prompt to convert to OPVault format when setting up 1Password 7, if you're not using it already. That's okay. Your other devices can sync OPVault as well. You'll need to point each of them to the new OPVault and you'll be set from there. Of course, if you need a hand along the way, feel free to drop us an e-mail or start a new discussion here and we'd be happy to help. :chuffed:

• CarloCuneo
    CarloCuneo
    Community Member

@bundtkate , thanks for the reply. I decided it was best to upgrade to V7. I will say, when I installed it, it appeared to have wiped out all of my daily backups (even in a second location I had made a copy to!). I had a VERY FRIGHTENING experience until I realized I needed to point to the agilekeychain folder which was not wiped out. The installer might save a heart attack or 2 with a warning about this deletion (and is it necessary to delete those files?). Again, thanks. I have had seamless experience with V4 until the world grew around it. While I'm giving feedback, the forum response by the team is GREAT! The response to an email request -- I sent a request Tuesday by email before getting on the forum. Still no response........ Thank you!!

• KayN
    KayN
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

So, since I didn’t realize that I should have converted to OPvault do I need to do that and how do I do that. I’ve already set the app on my desk top and have also been able to access through chrome browser. I’m trying to sync across my devices ( computers and iphone) and having trouble understanding how to accomplish this. I’m assuming I delete my old app off all the other devices, put the new app on and then sync it through dropbox but I have no idea what folder to put it in.
    Does 1Password automatically update the browser account?

• wouterfj
    wouterfj
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

The headline says it all I think.
    Since Chrome uypdated to version 72 last wednesday the 1Password extension is not working anymore...
    Hopefully there is a workaround of fix soon.

kindly,

Wouter

_1Password Version: 4
    _Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
    _OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
    _Sync Type: Dropbox

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@CarloCuneo: We’ve been experiencing a surge in support requests recently and our small support team is doing their best to catch up. Sorry about the long response to your email. I will send a reply to you today (via email), so let's continue our conversation there. Thanks! :+1:

@KayN: If you created a 1Password account, added it to 1Password 7, and migrated your data, you do not need any third party services to sync your data. All you need to do on a new device is to download 1Password app and sign in to your account there. Let me know if it clarifies the confusion.

@wouterfj: I merged your thread it into this one since we've been discussing trouble with 1Password 4 and Chrome 72 here. The long story short: 1Password 4 is discontinued, and does not know about the new code signature in Chrome 72. You'd need to either upgrade to 1Password 7, which is being actively developed and has the new signature, or use one of the other supported browsers (such as Brave, Firefox, Opera, etc.).

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: PZJ-51481-685

• SethRBeavers
    SethRBeavers
    Community Member

I'm just in to give my 2 cents. I'm not happy about having bought an 1P 4 licence and then it being shelved and now having to buy a new licence or pay for a subscription. However, DwightL is correct and I have to side with his point. I don't remember what I paid for the membership but I definitely got my monies worth over the last couple years. This comment was started with a question for the 1P team in mind though. What is the expected life of 1P 7 and are there any plans in the near future to shelf 1P 7? I don't really want to drop cash on a licence to have it become legacy and unsupported in a couple months.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2019

Hi @SethRBeavers

I'm just in to give my 2 cents.

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I'm not happy about having bought an 1P 4 licence and then it being shelved and now having to buy a new licence or pay for a subscription.

I'm sorry to hear that. That does tend to be how software licenses work though, not only here at 1Password but in the software industry as a whole. It is possible to continue using 1Password 4 for as long as you'd like, as licenses don't expire, but we won't be updating v4 any further. For a lot of reasons we recommend keeping up to date with your software, particularly 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser.

What is the expected life of 1P 7 and are there any plans in the near future to shelf 1P 7? I don't really want to drop cash on a licence to have it become legacy and unsupported in a couple months.

No license for 1Password will allow for updates / upgrades indefinitely. We haven't announced an "end of life" for 1Password 7, but if history is any indicator:

• 1Password 5 for Mac was first released in October of 2014 and last updated January of 2016.
    • 1Password 4 for Windows was first released in June of 2014 and last updated September of 2017.
    • 1Password 4 for Mac was first released in October of 2013 and last updated October of 2014.
    • 1Password 3 for Mac was first released in November of 2009 and last updated April of 2013 (there was one final update May of 2014 but that was an outlier).

So, it varies. 1Password membership on the other hand ensures that you always have access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices, in addition to a host of other benefits:

About 1Password membership

I think it would be worth considering that option, rather than a license. We do still sell licenses for folks who know they want them, but they are no longer advertised.

I don't remember what I paid for the membership but I definitely got my monies worth over the last couple years.

I'm glad to hear that. Thanks for the kind words.

Ben

• KayN
    KayN
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Ok, so I have set up my “monthly membership” account in my “my.1password” in my browser. And downloaded the app on all my devices but I now have two vaults, a Personnel vault and one other vault, both the same (same logins in both vaults). How to I get rid of one of these vaults? Kay 02/04/2019

This discussion has been closed.