Feature request: tabbed browsing INSIDE of 1Password.

gosmond
gosmond
Community Member

1Password is a fantastic product, it enables me to have a level of security that would otherwise be impossible.

I have over 900 separate logins, passwords, notes, etc., most of them completely unique.

It's gotten to the point where navigating within 1Password (on a Mac, in my case) is getting unwieldy. I need to be able to open multiple windows within 1Password so that I can see/edit different entries without having to re-navigate. Ideally there would also be an option to open multiple tabs within a single 1Password window.

Hope this is under serious consideration or possibly even on the roadmap already.

Thanks & keep up the great work.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.3
Sync Type: Local

Comments

• Hi @gosmond ,

Just for your information, you can have multiple windows displaying the details of different items. When you navigate to an item in the 1Password window, click the button in the upper right corner of the window (the one with overlapping squares) to open the item in a separate window. You can also choose Open in Separate Window in the Item window. You can open as many item windows as you like.

I hope that addresses your issue. If it does not, please feel free to share a few more details on your objective or how having tabbed or multiple "full" windows would help in a better way.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• gosmond
    gosmond
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. I didn't notice that icon / feature until you pointed it out. (!)

That helps some, but what I'd like is to be able to open multiple full 1Password windows, in which I can execute different searches & show different sets of search results, and have these windows be "stateful" in that they persist across lock/unlock events and across the app being quit/re-opened. Something like web-browser "saved sets" of tabs options for convenient re-navigation among a well-structured set of frequently-used items.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gosmond - it's an interesting idea, and one that's not impossible. But it would be quite a bit of work and given the nature of how we keep as little decrypted as possible at any one time (plus the separation of vaults by different per-vault encryption keys), it would present a number of challenges/questions that may not be so easily answered. In a "tabbed-browsing" scenario, which is the active vault? What does the mini show? These are just a few of the things that could easily complicate the issue - and potentially cause a lot of users problems, if their expectation doesn't match with what's actually done. But we'll continue to evaluate something like this for the future, and thanks for sharing your wishes and use-case with us. :)

This discussion has been closed.