My 1Password APP over the last four days is using way too much data on my cell plan?

Options
Steveston
Steveston
Community Member

I have been using this APP for years. My carrier is billing me for major amounts of data used that is attributed to your APP. I'm concerned I have been scammed and need to know why the APP is using so much data ASAP. Any chance I can speak to a real person?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:using too much data

Comments

• Steveston
    Steveston
    Community Member
    Options

I have been using this APP for years. My carrier is billing me for major amounts of data used that is attributed to your APP. I'm concerned I have been scammed and need to know why the APP is using so much data ASAP. Any chance I can speak to a real person?

Referrer: forum-search:using too much data

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi @Steveston

Real person here. My name is Ben. We'd be happy to help but you've provided very little detail about the situation. In particular you didn't answer any of the questions in the post template:

Additionally it sounds like this may be a question about either 1Password for iOS or 1Password for Android, but was posted in the 1Password for Mac category. Could you please answer the above questions and also please clarify for me which type of device you're having this issue on? Also, what leads you to believe that 1Password is causing the high data usage?

Please let me know. I'm sure we can help get to the bottom of whatever it is that is going on.

Ben

• Steveston
    Steveston
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry I am nervous about accessing my APP not knowing what the problem is . It's my Apple Iphone Version 6. Password1 App is version 7.2.7. Sorry where do I find the Extension Version/OS Version and Sync type?

• Steveston
    Steveston
    Community Member
    Options

My cellular data report shows which APPS are using data and 1Password over the past 4 days has used 521 MB?

• Steveston
    Steveston
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry here's the other information you requested. IOS Version 12.1.2

• Ben
    Options

@Steveston

I understand you're concerned. I want to help you alleviate that concern. I see you've started two separate forum threads, which I've now merged here, and also started two separate email threads. So that we can effectively and efficiently help you and other customers please refrain from starting additional threads on this subject. As I say -- I'll be happy to help get this sorted out for you. Contacting us in multiple places and through multiple channels will only serve to cause a duplication of efforts and slow down the support process for everyone, including you. For now I'm going to close your email threads so we can continue the conversation here. If we end up needing diagnostic information from your device(s) we can move to email.

Sorry I am nervous about accessing my APP not knowing what the problem is .

I don't believe there is any cause to be nervous. I'll explain below.

My cellular data report shows which APPS are using data and 1Password over the past 4 days has used 521 MB?

That does seem high, and is almost definitely the result of a sync issue (perhaps a corrupt item).

It's my Apple Iphone Version 6. Password1 App is version 7.2.7. Sorry where do I find the Extension Version/OS Version and Sync type

Do you use 1Password with any other devices? If so how are you getting your data from one to the other? If you aren't sure you can check in 1Password > Settings > Sync on the iPhone. The answer is likely either Dropbox or iCloud.

Thanks.

Ben

• Steveston
    Steveston
    Community Member
    Options

I only use 1Password on my Apple iPhone only.

• Ben
    Options

I only use 1Password on my Apple iPhone only.

Thank you. Do you do your web browsing from within 1Password? Have you downloaded any files using the built-in web browser? If so all of that browsing/downloading data usage would be attributed to 1Password. If the way you access websites is by opening 1Password, finding the Login item you have saved for the site you want to visit, and then tapping on the website field on that Login item, then this would be the case.

Ben

• Steveston
    Steveston
    Community Member
    Options

It says Sync Service is iCloud. I have just disabled that syncing but Apple says your APP is not supported by iCloud. I have not done anything different in my settings or with the usage of my iPhone so I don't understand why the sudden change in cellular data usage from your APP?

• Steveston
    Steveston
    Community Member
    Options

I turned the Sync option off in your APP for now. It says iCloud depends on CloudKit, which requires 1Password 5on iOS 8 and OS X10.10. If I turn off the Sync option does that mean your APP is not functioning 100%?

• Ben
    Options

@Steveston

I turned the Sync option off in your APP for now. It says iCloud depends on CloudKit, which requires 1Password 5on iOS 8 and OS X10.10.

CloudKit requires iCloud Drive be enabled in your iCloud preferences. If iCloud Drive is off 1Password will not be able to sync properly.

If I turn off the Sync option does that mean your APP is not functioning 100%?

If you aren't using 1Password on any other devices there is no need to have syncing set up. That said, without it, your data is stored only on your device. If you damage or lose your device you'd also lose your 1Password data. To avoid that you'd either want to have syncing set up, use a 1Password membership, or make periodic backups of 1Password.

Also, did you see my question about browsing, above?

Ben

• Steveston
    Steveston
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, I've just finished speaking with Apple - I'm doing an update to IOS 12.1.3 not sure if this will resolve the problem. I received some fraud texts on my iPhone this week, that's when this problem started with your APP and over cellular data usage. Perhaps it's a coincidence but when it's this particular APP being impacted it is a concern. In answer to your question above, I don't use a web browser in your app ever.

• Ben
    Options

I received some fraud texts on my iPhone this week, that's when this problem started with your APP and over cellular data usage. Perhaps it's a coincidence but when it's this particular APP being impacted it is a concern.

I understand the concern but other than timing I don't see a reason to expect a correlation. Unless the phone itself is compromised it wouldn't be possible for unauthorized modification to the 1Password app to happen.

I don't use a web browser in your app ever.

Okay. How do you log into websites using your 1Password data?

Ben

• Steveston
    Steveston
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, I manually go to the website I'm using and also manually enter passwords. I spent so much time on the phone with Apple and my carrier yesterday and it's so strange nobody seems to know why the overage in usage is occurring. Tx

• Ben
    Options

@Steveston,

Now that you've made some changes to your setup I'd recommend opening the Settings app > Cellular > Reset Statistics, and then keep an eye on 1Password over the next couple days. If it is still using a lot of data I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#EDT-97886-451]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

Thanks!

Ben

• Steveston
    Steveston
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, thanks so much for your support. I've reset as suggested and will continue to monitor as suggested.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. I wish I could offer a more definitive answer at this point as to why this might have happened, but if it continues hopefully a diagnostic report will point us in the right direction.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.