1Password Autofile/Prompt is Not Working no Chrome

Hello: I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that 1Password is not working very well on Chrome.

On some sites that always worked in the past, 1PW is not prompting me to select an ID to use - or, it does, but doesn't provide the correct choice. Clicking on "logins" doesn't do anything.

Why doesn't 1PW give users the option to search for other logons or items? This would make it so much easier to use.

I'm experiencing this behavior on the Chrome extensions on two laptops -- one is a Windows 10 and the others is a Chromebook.

Can this be addressed, because it's becoming more of a pain than anything else to use 1PW and I've always enjoyed how well it works. Lately, it's not, at least for me.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.31.1
OS Version: Windows 10 AND Chromebook
Sync Type: Account on the site.

Comments

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Hi there @amswitzer!

I'm sorry that the experience has seemingly deteriorated. :( Would you mind giving me a few examples of the sites that don't work properly? I'd love to test it out and see what went awry.

Why doesn't 1PW give users the option to search for other logons or items? This would make it so much easier to use.

You should be able to search for other logons or items. If you click the extension icon in your Chrome toolbar, a search bar will show up at the top of the pop-up and let you search for your logins. Alternatively, if you click the ellipsis (three dots) on the inline menu, you'll be able to browse through items that are fillable on this field/site.

Having said that, if the URL domain of a login item doesn't match the site you're on, you won't be able to fill that item. Allowing that would pose a security risk, as it would make you a bigger phishing target.

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

HI @ag_sebastian and thanks for the response.

I'll start keeping track of those non-working sites and get back to you.

I do understand that I can click on the extension icon and search. What I don't understand is that if 1PW doesn't find the correct credentials, clicking on an item in the dropdown that is displayed should either open a list of all of those items, or open a search box to allow users to search for that classification of items directly from the dropdown.

For example, if I'm at a site and 1PW cannot determine the login causing the dropdown to appear below the field I'm trying to fill in, I should either be click on "Logins" and the list of logins appears that I can scroll and find the one I want (assisted perhaps by being able to type in my entry like you can in the regular extension search box), or choose to search the various logins to find it myself through a general search box that either searches that category or all categories.

It's not very efficient to have the user get out of the box and dropdown, go up to the extension, click on it, find the item myself, and then copy and paste back and forth. Having me click on "Logins" only to have 1PW fail because it can't find the correct one (which is what the problem was to begin with) seems to be a waste of time.

Why not put that search functionality right into that dropdown under the field I'm attempting to complete? That would be so much better than having to go back and forth. There already is a drop down there, so it should be used to its fullest.

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member
    edited December 2018

Ok I just left a very long reply with suggestions that seems to have disappeared, even after I edited it twice. Very strange.

In any case, there is no icon showing up on the RBC online banking site.

Try https://www1.royalbank.com/cgi-bin/rbaccess/rbunxcgi?F6=1&F7=IB&F21=IB&F22=IB&REQUEST=ClientSignin&LANGUAGE=ENGLISH

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member

I see that the missing message I referred to previously is now there.

Another site where I'm being prompted to enter a credit number, but 1PW seems to not recognize this and doesn't display the icon in the field: Globeandmail.com account maintenance section.

This particular problem is happening on my Chromebook. The RBC issue is on my Windows 10 computer.

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

It's not very efficient to have the user get out of the box and dropdown, go up to the extension, click on it, find the item myself, and then copy and paste back and forth. Having me click on "Logins" only to have 1PW fail because it can't find the correct one (which is what the problem was to begin with) seems to be a waste of time.

I understand what you mean, and can see why this seems like a waste of time. I'd like to offer the reasoning why we don't let you search. 1Password won't fill a Login item if it doesn't have the matching URL of a website you're currently on. This is a security measure that helps guard against phishing.

When you click a Login item in the 1Password X inline menu, it automatically gets filled. In case we let you search and select an item that doesn't have a matching URL, that fill would just fail. Allowing you to copy and paste from within the inline menu would be a completely new feature.

In any case, there is no icon showing up on the RBC online banking site.

Thanks for the report. I can reproduce the behavior you're seeing, and have filed a bug for us to look into. In the meantime, you can work around the issue by forcing 1Password X to appear. Right-click the Client Card or Username field, and select Show 1Password. You can then fill your RBC Login item.

Another site where I'm being prompted to enter a credit number, but 1PW seems to not recognize this and doesn't display the icon in the field: Globeandmail.com account maintenance section

I see what you mean, but unfortunately I don't have a workaround for this one. I've filed a bug for us to look into as well. Thanks for both of your reports, and happy New Year! :)

ref: x/b5x#726, x/b5x#727

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member

And the same to you @ag_sebastian , and thanks for following up!

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member

Oops - now I seem to have lost the 1Password option on the right-click menu. It does show up on other site though... Note that 1PW is active and logged-in.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@amswitzer: It's not "lost". 1Password X does not have a menu item. That's a feature of the 1Password desktop app/extension -- so, not on a Chromebook. Sorry for the confusion there.

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty for clarifying that.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

You got it! :+1:

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member

Chromebook with Android capability workaround: Install the 1Password Android app. Works perfectly. (No right-click menu, but the Android app pops-up the 1PW dialogue anyway.

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sharing your workaround, @amswitzer, I wouldn't have thought of doing that! :)

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member

...and I've discovered that there is a right-click menu showing the option to open 1Password. So there you have it. Fully supported on any Chromebook with Android app capabilities (which most of the new ones have). Check the screenshot...

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

Incredible, and very useful to know! I think I should up my Chromebook game, but oddly enough, they aren't available in my country (Croatia). :'(

Thanks again for sharing your findings. :)

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Hi there. It's been almost two months since I reported that the RBC Online (Canada) site isn't recognized by 1Password in Chrome for Windows. The 1Password icon doesn't show up. Someone mentioned that they were going to look into this and that the bug had been confirmed, but there's been no update. Any news?

The acknowledgement of the bug is here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/482694/#Comment_482694

1Password X: 1.13.2
    Chrome: 72
    Windows 10

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Sorry dupe of above.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @amswitzer,

Sadly I don't have any news to report :( The issues are still filed but not progress has been made yet. I also cannot offer an estimate of when that might change. I'm sorry I don't have something more positive at the moment.

ref: x/b5x#726
    ref: x/b5x#727

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member

Hello - it appears that this is now resolved since a recent update of the 1Password X Chrome extension.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @amswitzer – I'm so glad to hear it! I noticed the same. Enjoy your week. :)

This discussion has been closed.