Filling password in Xero time-out login popup

Options

The normal login screen for Xero plays nicely with 1Password, but after a certain amount of time (10 mins?) Xero throws a dark overlay across the screen, with a lightbox displaying a login window to resume. The lightbox asks "Hi, are you still there?" and contains just a Password entry field (no username). Triggering the 1Password login browser extension doesn't fill this field.

Any suggestions for what's needed to change this? Difficult for you guys to replicate if you don't have a Xero account.

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.9.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mattymcg

I don't have an account with this site so I can't test this myself. However, I would like you to try something. When this happens next time, save a new login manually. Give it a different name, like "Xero timeout" or something that will let you identify it. When you get the timeout message try using this new login.

Please let us know if you try this and how it works for you :chuffed:

• mattymcg
    mattymcg
    Community Member
    Options

Seems like sensible advice, but no dice I'm afraid. Selecting "Save new login" doesn't do anything. It doesn't prompt me to save the login, so I guess it doesn't detect that I've entered the password (I didn't hit Enter or click "Log in").

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mattymcg: Interesting. It sounds like we may have multiple problems then: filling and saving. If you press Enter or click "Log in", does 1Password detect it then? It should really be able to save it when you manually select "Save new login" too though, so if you'll let me know the URL, we'll investigate that. Thanks in advance! :)

• mattymcg
    mattymcg
    Community Member
    Options

If you press Enter or click "Log in", does 1Password detect it then?

No, it doesn't.

Sorry I can't give you a single URL. To witness the behaviour, you'll need to sign up to Xero (there's a 30-day free trial https://www.xero.com/au/signup/), login, then wait for it to timeout.

Thanks
    Matt

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @mattymcg,

Thank you for the link and making us aware of the ease with which we can create a test account. As long as I'm not asked to supply credit card details or pay for something I'll happily make a test account anywhere if it can help :smile:

I've created the account and I'm currently waiting for it to time out on me to see what we're looking at. I shall report back once I learn more.

• sthilaa
    sthilaa
    Community Member
    Options

I have this same problem. Hoping a 1P pro can figure this one out as I encounter this roadblock several times a day. As @mattymcg mentioned, the "Save New Login" feature does not work in this case. It does not seem to recognize the time-out overlay at all.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I created a Xero test account but so far haven't been able to get the timeout to trigger despite leaving Xero open in its own window for more than a day. Is there some specific action that prompts for the password? I can imagine that some actions would not and others would, so having a more detailed set of steps could point us in the right direction.

• mattymcg
    mattymcg
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm that's strange. I work with Xero in a tab in Chrome, and it always times out after somewhere around 5-10 minutes.

Is it possible that being in its own window sends different information about whether the window has focus or not? Maybe try it in a tab? #clutchingatstraws

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm leaving Xero (and another site I'm trying to test a similar problem on) open in Chrome and I'll give it a test this afternoon. That should be plenty of time to get them to time out. I'll let you know what I find. :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I finally reproduced this, but I am sorry to say I don't have good news. The timeout password prompt is presented using an <iframe> that is loaded via Javascript after the timeout. When I look in the Chrome Developer Tools, under Sources > Content Scripts, I only see 1Password injected into the top frame and not the new frame that is displayed for the timeout.

I did notice that they are using the srcdoc attribute rather than src for the iframe's content document. To be honest, I hadn't heard of the srcdoc attribute before today, so that was something new for me to learn. It's not clear to me why they would use this approach rather than just having a full page div with the password prompt form in it. I'm not sure what they gain by using an iframe here… :(

At first I wasn't sure if srcdoc vs src would prevent the content scripts from our extension from being injected into the page or if the fact that the iframe is added after the page has loaded causes Chrome not to inject the scripts, but I went to Apple's sign in page and removed their iframe and then added it back there with Javascript and the src attribute and it does seem that Chrome injected the content scripts like it should. So, it seems like srcdoc does not allow Chrome to inject the scripts like we expect it to. This makes sense because there is no src attribute to get a URL from to compare against the various URL patterns that extensions specify to target injecting their scripts into those frames.

So, all of that is a long and very in-the-weeds kind of way of saying that it doesn't look like Chrome is injecting our scripts, so as far as 1Password is concerned, that password field doesn't even exist. Presumably other browsers will do this as well since they use the same kind of URL matching patterns for determining where to inject scripts.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you right now. I will reach out to the Xero folks and see if there's some way we can work together to make this a better experience for all our mutual customers.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• sthilaa
    sthilaa
    Community Member
    Options

Jamie, did you have any luck reaching out to Xero about this? I deal with this problem on a daily basis. :-/

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Actually, @sthilaa, I haven't. I can try reaching out to them again, but for now, my previous reply is still the latest information I have on this issue.

• westmeath
    westmeath
    Community Member
    Options

This has also been an annoying issue for me for quite a while. Any progress with this?

Would also be helpful if a user (or at least the subscriber) could vary the time-out interval.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry, but I still don't have any further feedback from Xero on this. If you want to point Xero customer support to this thread and ask for an update, I think that might be more useful coming from a real customer than from someone that set up an account as a trial to test this issue out. :(

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I realize this thread is quite old at this point, but I have an update. I didn't hear back from Xero, but I am a customer and just found the re-auth password prompt up when I got back to my desk just now. To my delight, the password field filled. Upon inspection, it appears that Xero is no longer using the srcdoc attribute for this iframe, so 1Password is properly injected and can fill this password field. If you have any other issues with this or any other site, please start a new discussion, but I wanted to update this thread since I happened to notice the improved behavior.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ 1Password
    Fort Worth, Texas

• danielharvey
    danielharvey
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately, this does not work for me in Chrome on macOS (Mojave)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danielharvey: Can you be more specific? What are the exact OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, and what are the steps you're taking and the result?

• danielharvey
    danielharvey
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty, sure, sorry.

1Password 7
    Version 7.2.4 (70204000)
    AgileBits Store

1Password extension

macOS Mojave
    10.14.3 (18D42)

Chrome
    Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Steps:
    1. Wait until Xero times out and presents this overlay prompt:
    3. Select the 1Password hotkey
    4. Select the Xero login entry and click fill

The password form is not filled.

Thanks! And let me know if you need more information.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @danielharvey,

It looks like whatever Jamie found back in July is no longer the case. After getting to the point where I was presented with a re-authentication prompt I found it contained the original srcdoc attribute that was causing the original issue. Sadly Jamie's previous statement will now hold true once more. You will either need to copy and paste the password or use drag and drop, whichever you find more convenient. Sorry the news wasn't better.

• danielharvey
    danielharvey
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the confirmation, I will submit a support request to Xero referencing this thread.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I was hoping I was missing something. Hopefully it can be improved. :(

This discussion has been closed.