Does 1password regularly generate new passwords for my accounts? How often?

kathyzarur
kathyzarur
Community Member

It seems that regularly changing passwords is a good idea. Does 1Password do this? How often?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Does 1password regularly generate new passwords for my accounts? How often?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

That is old advice, no longer considered valuable. If you have strong passwords (such as the ones generated by 1PW), no need to change them unless you have reason to suspect they have been compromised.

And no, 1PW does not automatically change passwords. You have to decide to do it yourself, and then 1PW can generate a password.

• kathyzarur
    kathyzarur
    Community Member

Thank you. I'm new to these conversations, so I appreciate the update.

• danco is spot on. As he alluded the latest NIST guidelines include the following:

Verifiers SHOULD NOT impose other composition rules (e.g., requiring mixtures of different character types or prohibiting consecutively repeated characters) for memorized secrets. Verifiers SHOULD NOT require memorized secrets to be changed arbitrarily (e.g., periodically). However, verifiers SHALL force a change if there is evidence of compromise of the authenticator.

(section 5.1.1.2 of NIST Special Publication 800-63B)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.