Please bring back 1Password 4 Copy Username and Copy Password keyboard shortcuts

jkcarter
jkcarter
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I upgraded to a 1Password 7 sub at the end of last year, and while it is a big improvement over 1Password 4 for Windows, my muscle memory sure does miss the Ctrl+Shift+C combo to copy password.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 v1809
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hi @jkcarter,

Thanks for writing in. It is there already, we've added it in 7.3 update:

• jkcarter
    jkcarter
    Community Member

I think you misunderstand me. I know the context menu is there. I prefer to click/select with one hand and ctrl+shift+c with the other hand. It's more efficient for me to have the keyboard shortcut.

• MikeT
    edited February 2019

Hi @jkcarter,

That's not the right-click menu, it's different. That's the shortcut menu that comes up with you press Control + Shift + C on an item. Give it a try, bring up 1Password mini and with the item selected with arrow key; press Control + Shift + C.

It is entirely possible I am misunderstanding you. What are you expecting 1Password to do when you do press that shortcut? Do you mean something like a separate shortcut that copies the password without a menu?

• jkcarter
    jkcarter
    Community Member

"Do you mean something like a separate shortcut that copies the password without a menu?"

Yes, this exactly. In 1Password 4, there were separate keyboard shortcuts for each option, with no menu. My username is usually saved already by the app I'm logging into, so the extra mouse work or keystrokes needed for navigating a menu just waste time.

I realize this is totally a first-world problem, so feel free to say no. I just miss the efficiency of the old version's keyboard shortcuts, so figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

• It certainly doesn't hurt to ask @jkcarter and I can totally see your point. With the addition of the OTP option and the limited number of universally available shortcuts that the menu remains the best option, but with the work currently being done with customizable shortcuts now is as good a time to ask as any. I won't make any promises, of course, but it's always better to ask than not. Just to reiterate what Mike mentioned, too, you absolutely can navigate that menu with the arrow keys and press enter to select the proper option is your primary concern is to avoid the mouse and, of course, we'll keep your feedback in mind for future updates. :+1:

• Zach Renner
    Zach Renner
    Community Member

+1 for a (customizable?) shortcut to quickly "Copy Password" without a context menu. I switched to 1Password from KeePass, and being able to just CTRL-C on the entry to copy the password is the main thing I miss. Seems like a minor thing, but to be honest for me it's enough of an annoyance to keep me from going all in on 1Password. CTRL-SHIFT-C is ok but the extra keystrokes seem unnecessary.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @""Zach Renner",

Thank you for chipping in! :+1:

Is there a particular reason why you want to copy the password manually instead of filling it on the web page? Please let us know more about your work flow, it will be really helpful. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

@Greg I agree with @Zach Renner.
    Give options to advanced users. Thanks in advance.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us @r1ma!

Since you agreed with the previous poster, my colleague Greg's question applies to you too. Do you mind answering it to give us more information? Here is the questions again for your convenience:

Is there a particular reason why you want to copy the password manually instead of filling it on the web page? Please let us know more about your work flow, it will be really helpful. Thanks!

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member
    1. I am more fan of doing things manually.
    2. In case a user wants to copy the password into the clipboard and have it paste somewhere else, rather than a form field, having shortcuts are beneficial. After all, we are paid users and what's wrong to give us what we need that will boost our productivity.

Here is a screenshot of KeePass right-click menu for an item, that show those shortcuts:

• Thanks for sharing, @r1ma!

After all, we are paid users and what's wrong to give us what we need that will boost our productivity.

Usually, nothing, but we do try to be conscious of adding too many specialized options to 1Password. I don't think this applies in this specific case at all – copy shortcuts aren't something I'd categorize as a "power user" feature personally – but it can be the case that power user features come with some overall added complexity. This can make 1Password more confusing for the average users and complexity is already the largest barrier to entry for folks wanting to start using a password manager. The key is balance – implementing functions that increase power user productivity in ways that allow those willing to really get to know 1Password to do more without adding complexity for those who just want to save and fill their Logins. Sometimes this is easy, other times it's more of a challenge and on rare occasion it demands we say no to niche features in the interest of the larger population.

Again, I wouldn't say that applies to copy shortcuts. Those options already exist and adding a keyboard shortcut isn't going to make them any more difficult to use. But, I think it's something important to keep in mind when thinking about new features generally. We're lucky to have a lot of paying customers, but that means we have to make 1Password work for everyone from our power users to my grandma which means we do sometimes have to say no, even to great ideas.

• CrashDDL
    CrashDDL
    Community Member

"to make 1Password work for everyone from our power users to my grandma"

You could always choose to make a advanced user features enable button in setting. This would allow for a very streamlined and simplified default user experience "out of the box" and at the same time advanced users could simply enable all the features that would "confuse" the masses so to speak. :)

• We could, @CrashDDL, and in some cases we have done just that, but we do try to be careful of doing too much of it. It's silly for sure, but the "Oh! A button!" phenomenon is very real. Folks absolutely do just dig through settings with no defined goal and enable things just to see what they do. In all sorts of cases, this is no big deal, but there are advanced features we've regretted so we try to limit those features so we're not taking any unnecessary risks if someone enables such a feature without knowing what they're getting into. Again, definitely not the case with the features requested here, but something we need to keep in mind when adding advanced settings generally. :chuffed:

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member

Since you agreed with the previous poster, my colleague Greg's question applies to you too. Do you mind answering it to give us more information? Here is the questions again for your convenience:

For my own use case:
    1. SSH Connections - I use ZOC for my SSH connections, for a few that I can't have an SSH key, I have username and password, I don't save these in the host connection, so CTRL+ALT+\ brings up 1P, type in the name then a shortcut to grab the username and likewise for the password would be great.
    2. SFTP Connections - Basically the same for SSH Connections
    3. Namecheap.com - They've done something horrible to their site which makes their newsletter signup block near the bottom act as a username field, so 1P fills it out, so I need to go and remove it then go back up and click continue, enough of a hassle to cause me to use the manual copy and paste of username and password, KB shortcuts would be great.

Finally, 1Password for macOS has these shortcuts to copy Username, Password, and TOTP, for feature parity and I don't really believe that it would complicate 1P for Windows more. The people that don't need shortcuts or don't want them, don't use them, and the people that do, they use them. It's worked for 1P for macOS for years without added complexity.

Cheers

• MikeT
    edited January 2020

Hi @jcsully217,

Thanks for taking the time to write that up, it's very useful for us. We have plans to improve the interaction with 1Password mini for sure; there are a lot of things we need to fix such as making sure 1Password can retain the last selected item better when you switch between apps, find a way to use shortcuts only without clicking the item, and more.

In the 1Password 7.4 Beta 1 update we've released today, you can drag any fields when you right-click an item to paste it in the third party windows and/or unsupportive sites like namecheap.com.

1. Namecheap.com - They've done something horrible to their site which makes their newsletter signup block near the bottom act as a username field, so 1P fills it out, so I need to go and remove it then go back up and click continue,

Can you try again with 1Password 7.4? It is working for me to fill only the login fields and not touching the newsletter field on the bottom.

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

@MikeT Namecheap (running 7.4 beta 1) is still adding characters to the newsletter field, the characters are 12 those aren't in the username, password, and confirmed they are not in the TOTP, and even checked again after the TOTP changed to confirm it wasn't something odd. In case it matters my main browser is Brave.

Just to point it out, I also have 1Password X installed in Firefox (no 1Password Desktop Extension in FF) and that also adds 12 to the newsletter field. So I don't believe this is a 1P4W issue (or 1P in general), most likely a Namecheap issue. (1Password X is installed in case we get the amazing feature that macOS has where 1PX and 1P for macOS are aware of the Lock/Unlock status of each other)

Edit: Actually having a few minutes, I checked and decided to go through the Web Form Details, and lo and behold, I found the 12 in there, once removed it stopped adding them to the newsletter. I'll have to remember this as I have another site I have an issue with but not sure which one at the moment.

As for the drag and drop, I've tried it out, but for myself, I'm a keyboard navigator so when possible I always use the keyboard until I cannot move forward, so currently even with the CTRL+\ > Type Name > CTRL+Shift+C > Down arrows, is faster for me to get the information in than to move to the mouse and start the drag and drop, but to each their own.

Thanks for 7.4b1 it's a little faster in launching, so I'm thrilled with that.

• @jcsully217,

(1Password X is installed in case we get the amazing feature that macOS has where 1PX and 1P for macOS are aware of the Lock/Unlock status of each other)

We plan to bring that over to Windows once that feature is out of beta on macOS.

Edit: Actually having a few minutes, I checked and decided to go through the Web Form Details, and lo and behold, I found the 12 in there, once removed it stopped adding them to the newsletter. I'll have to remember this as I have another site I have an issue with but not sure which one at the moment.

We now share the same Rust-based 1Password Brain between 1Password X and 1Password 7.4 for Windows, that will spread to other platforms as well. So, it makes sense they're behaving the same way now.

We need to fix the web form details in the Windows app too to let you remove them.

As for the drag and drop, I've tried it out, but for myself, I'm a keyboard navigator so when possible I always use the keyboard until I cannot move forward, so currently even with the CTRL+\ > Type Name > CTRL+Shift+C > Down arrows

Yep, especially if you're using multiple large monitors, it's just quicker to do it with shortcuts only.

This discussion has been closed.