Can't delete local vaults on macOS

ashburton88
ashburton88
Community Member

Despite following the instructions to switch to vault and then delete, I don't have the option to remove local vaults. I've tried signing out of my 1Password account to make them the only vaults available, but this hasn't helped either.

I have two local vaults showing, and I get the same behaviour when trying to delete both.

Any any all help/advice welcomed!

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.2
Sync Type: None
Referrer: forum-search:Can't delete local vaults

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @ashburton88! From the screenshot you posted (thanks for that!), it looks like you might have skipped the "switch to vault" step. I say this because if you actually switch to a particular vault, you will see the name of the vault in that menu, like this:

Please make sure you actually switch to the vault you'd like to delete first, then return to the Vault menu and you should be able to delete that vault.

There is one caveat to this procedure, and that's that you must delete all secondary vaults first, before you try deleting the Primary vault. Primary has to be the last vault you delete. Let us know how you get on! :)

• ashburton88
    ashburton88
    Community Member

Hi Lars, thanks for getting back to me. Even using the Switch to Vault option I just don't get an option to delete the local vaults, video here: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsnnfmCTN00AnUCAHCLg4M2XS-ar

Strangely, it doesn't matter if I select the vault under Cmd 4 or Cmd 5, it seems to be defaulting to Cmd 5. Could this be the issue? If so, any suggestions of how to fix?

• ashburton88
    ashburton88
    Community Member

Hi Lars, thanks for getting back to me. Even using the Switch to Vault option I just don't get an option to delete the local vaults, video here: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsnnfmCTN00AnUCAHCLg4M2XS-ar

Strangely, it doesn't matter if I select the vault with Cmd 4 or Cmd 5, the tick is always next to the Cmd 5 option

• @ashburton88

You have two primary vaults? That shouldn’t be possible... can you rename the second one and then see if it lets you delete it?

If you’re clearing out your local vaults and that doesn’t work you should be able to do help -> troubleshooting -> reset all 1Password data and then sign back into your 1Password.com account at the setup window. This will delete all the local vaults and sign you out of your account, so if this isn’t what you’re trying to do then please don’t do this option.

• ashburton88
    ashburton88
    Community Member

Thank you @rudy, reset all 1Password data has resolved the issue. One of the primary vaults didn't have any edit options available to rename, and the other showed the rename window, but wouldn't let me type in it. Very odd, but sorted now at least!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ashburton88 - I'm glad you were able to reset your data and re-sign into your 1password.com account. The only way it would be possible to have two vaults called Primary would be if you'd manually named one of them that way. That may have had something to do with it, as the real Primary vault (i.e. - the one which was acting as the main vault in your installation of 1Password for Mac) would not be able to be deleted if the other one wasn't deleted first. Glad you got it sorted! :)

This discussion has been closed.