How to use a "personal" vault on personal devices, and a "work" vault on all devices?

Options

This seems like the most obvious use case in the world, but I'm evidently not searching for the right thing in the help or the forum.

What I want is to have:

• a "personal" vault with my personal logins
  • a "work" vault with my work logins
  • the "work" vault be available on all devices
  • the "personal" vault not be available on work devices

At some point, I thought I'd be able to mark the "personal" as requiring separate authentication, or not being available on a particular device, or similar. But no?

The only way I could see to do this would be to create (and presumably pay for) a second account, to be used on work machines, and then share my "work" vault with it? But of course that would be insane.

Can anyone shed any light on how to do this properly?

Cheers,

-Phil

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 1.13.2
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @phik0,

Vaults for specific purposes like separating work and personal is something I do myself but the closest we have in terms of your feature request we don't have a precise match. Instead I can think of a couple of different approaches.

1. 1Password Business accounts don't allow you to specific vaults per device but you can manage which of our 1Password clients can see the vault. If you used a Mac at home but a Windows PC only at work you could set a Personal vault to not be visible to 1Password for Windows. It would require your default private/personal vault being empty though I believe and then two secondary vaults, one for work one for personal as I don't believe the private/personal default vault can be managed in this way. The option I thought would apply to 1Password X though didn't seem to impact it so I need to ask about that. This wouldn't help though if you want to use 1Password X everywhere.
    2. A 1Password Families account allows for 5 members by default. You would create two shared accounts a bit like above and have it that the member you sign in as at home can access both whilst the other member you sign in as at work only has access to the work vault. Assuming you're using a 1Password Individuals account at the moment there would be a cost increase by moving to a 1Password Families account but it would allow you to use 1Password X everywhere and control what device can see what by which alias you sign in as.

I don't know what you think of either option, if you have questions please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.