Offer to Save Schwab 2FA as "Passcode Authentication"

RonHeiby
RonHeiby
Community Member

Since setting up 2FA on my Schwab account, I've been using the 1Password feature where it automatically puts it onto the clipboard, I paste it in, and all is well. Very cool. Just one little thing.

Every time I do this, 1Password invites me to save this new "password" as "Passcode Authentication". So every time I log into the Schwab web site, I have an extra step of dismissing the 1Password popup.

I imagine that accepting the offer would do me no good, since each 2FA code will be different, I'll just get invited to save the updated information.

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Families
Referrer: forum-search:Offer to Save Schwab 2FA as "Passcode Authentication"

Comments

• Hi @RonHeiby ,

It looks like their field where you paste the 2FA code looks like a password field, so 1Password thinks you've changed your password. What you can do is go to the 1Password Preferences, click on Browsers and add the URL for Schwab's website to the list there. Then it will no longer ask to save. The downside of this is if you ever to change your password there, remember to change it in 1Password too.

Regards,
    Kevin

• RonHeiby
    RonHeiby
    Community Member

Thanks for the detective work and the workaround! I don't think it will be a problem, though, because the 2FA prompt is on a page from lms.schwab.com, which is different from the client.schwab.com used for the login / password. So, putting lms.schwab.com into that list in Preferences (and not client.schwab.com) does suppress the prompt to save the 2FA string into 1Password. Will that approach also allow 1Password to prompt me for password changes that take place other than at lms.schwab.com? And then, I think I just have to hope that their password change popup is not coming from lms.schwab.com. Of course even if it is, if I use the 1Password password generator, I'm still safe, because generated passwords are all saved, right?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RonHeiby

Will that approach also allow 1Password to prompt me for password changes that take place other than at lms.schwab.com?

It should, yes.

Of course even if it is, if I use the 1Password password generator, I'm still safe, because generated passwords are all saved, right?

Yep. :)

This discussion has been closed.