Two Factor Not Working in Order to Setup New MFA Device

ajp3979
ajp3979
Community Member

I setup my families account and enabled Two Factor Auth on my personal login using DUO. I was able to use my DUO code to setup the desktop app on my laptop a few days ago. I bought a new phone today and installed DUO, I want to move MFA from my old phone to my new phone. I did not see an option to add a new MFA device. I tried to remove the current device to add the new phone. When I select Turn Off Two Factor Auth and enter the current DUO code, it keeps telling me my 6 digit code is wrong. How do I fix this so I can set up my new Phone?

1Password Version: Web
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ajp3979: If the code is incorrect, then either you have the wrong TOTP secret saved or your date/time/zone settings are incorrect. Those are the only two variables involved in generating the codes. Please double check and restart your device.

• ajp3979
    ajp3979
    Community Member

I had to "turn in" my old phone in order to have the credit applied to my mobile plan. I was not able to resolve the issue before having to do so. Is there another way to reset my MFA? Some of my other accounts had "One Time Recovery" codes that I saved during the MFA setup and other accounts would allow an option to send a One Time Password via text message to the number on my account. Does 1Password have anything like that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ajp3979: 1Password does not support SMS or "backup code" backdoors. You enabled two-factor authentication in order to ensure that someone cannot use your Master Password and Secret Key to get into your account without also having a valid one-time password. That means you also cannot login without it. You would be able to use the QR code or text TOTP secret to generate the code again though. Do you have one of those?

• ajp3979
    ajp3979
    Community Member

I scanned the QR code to setup originally; however, I never thought to screen copy it... Is the TOTP the "Secret Key" in my Emergency Kit?

• @ajp3979: it is not. I recommend emailing our support team: https://support.1password.com/contact/

Once you've done that you should get an auto-reply including a support request ID. If you could post that to the forum that will help us make sure that your message gets in front of the right people as quickly as possible.

Rick

• @ajp3979 no unfortunately your Secret Key is not the TOTP code for your account. When you set up multi-factor authentication the QR code that was generated, or the code that was supplied would be what you need to set up the authenticator again.

If you open a ticket with us using the contact form here: https://support.1password.com/contact/

We can help you reset the multi-factor authentication on your account and you can set it up again from scratch. Make sure to save the TOTP code in 1Password!

Once you've created a ticket please reply here with the Ticket ID so we can keep track of it's progress.

• ajp3979
    ajp3979
    Community Member

Thanks for all the help. Here is my Ticket ID: #TGN-39615-144

• Great! I'll follow up with you through the ticket.

• ajp3979
    ajp3979
    Community Member

Hi, I responded to the email questionnaire and never received a response.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry, we're a little backed up. I'll reply to you via email shortly.

ref: TGN-39615-144

• peterche
    peterche
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Hi @brenty & @jin_dhaliwal I also have the same problem above. I lost my mfa pin (google Authenticator) when I replaced my phone. Can someone help me reset my mfa for my account? Case ID is #FXS-73427-588

• Hello @peterche,

Looks like your support request was answered. Please reply to the support email if you have any questions or need anything.

• peterche
    peterche
    Community Member

Thanks @jin_dhaliwal! Got the email.

• Great! Glad we could help :chuffed:

• peterche
    peterche
    Community Member

Hi @jin_dhaliwal! I haven’t received any updates from my email response. Is it possible for you to follow up?

• Hi @peterche

Further action is required by our security team. Your request has been escalated to them, and they will reply as soon as they've been able to verify the details you provided.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.