lost master password

bltierney
bltierney
Community Member

I am the administrator of a family account, and no one else in the family has 'recover accounts' permission. I seem to have changed my master password to something that I dont know. I can still get into 1password on my IOS and my Android device using my fingerprint, but I can not log into https://my.1password.com.

Is the only solution to delete the account and start over? If I delete the account, will all of my family vaults be deleted too? Can the data be recovered from my IOS or Android device?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brettbollman
    edited February 2019

Hey @bltierney... sorry to hear that you've forgotten your Master Password. Any chance you have it stored inside of 1Password itself? If you still have access to your data through iOS and Android, you can potentially still track it down that way.

If it's truly lost... then you are correct about your options. Unless someone else on the account is a family organizer, then there is no recovery and full access to your account will not be able to be restored. Which means ultimately, you're going to want to delete the account.

Because you still have access to your data via your iOS and Android devices, you can still move your vault items into a new account. You'll want to create a new account, sign-in to that new account on one of the iOS or Android devices you still have access to your existing account on, then move all your vault items over. Make sure to move any shared vaults and its items over. And then everyone on the existing account will need to be added to the new account and move all of their items over as well.

Hope that all makes sense... let me know if I can dive into any more details for you.

• bltierney
    bltierney
    Community Member

Thanks, I think that should work.

Do I need to do that with all family members, or just my account?

• Hey @bltierney...

Anyone who is on the current account will need to move over all of their data to the new account. Depending on how you've set up shared vaults, you may be able to do most of the work yourself. But each person on the account will at least need to move the data in their own private vaults.

I should also mention, once you're sure that everyone has moved everything over and that the old account doesn't have any data left in it, you can use the "Having trouble signing in?" link on the sign-in page at 1Password.com and it will walk you through the process of deleting the initial account.

• bltierney
    bltierney
    Community Member

Do I have to pay for the new account?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bltierney - yes and no. We're not going to charge you twice for the same time period. So when you get everything moved over and set up as brettbollman mentioned, then get in touch with our sales folks via email at sales@1password.com and they'll fix things up so you get credit for the unused portion of any payment on your previous account, transferred to the new one. Make sure you do that before the end of the 30-day trial period, to avoid your account going into Frozen status. Also, please include a link to this thread in your email, so we can "connect the dots." Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.