Sync vs Copy -Can I sync NOT copy a limited set of passwords with a family member?

Ken_Lee
Ken_Lee
Community Member

I would like to share a limited set of logins with a family member. I have already created a shared vault. I see that I have the option to Move or Copy individual logins. My questions are:

If I Copy a login into our shared vault, will these logins be snyc'd (I'm guessing not)? In other words, if I change the password for a given login in my Private vault, will that change sync/propagate to the login in our shared vault?

I could Move logins to our shared vault, but what about if I want to share a login with multiple family members? I guess what I'm asking is: Is there a way i can control the information (e.g. prevent changes, etc) for a login but let multiple family members see and use that info?

Ken

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sync vs copy

Comments

• Hi @Ken_Lee

You're correct: when you copy an item to another vault the copy is it's own item... changes to the original don't affect the copy... just as if you were to photocopy a sheet of paper. The best way to handle this is to create vaults that are shared as desired and them move items into them. For example, if I have some items I want to share with Bill and Bob, some items I want to share will Bill and Karen, and some items I want to share with Bill, Karen, and Bob, that is going to require 3 separate shared vaults.

Share passwords in 1Password Families

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Ken_Lee
    Ken_Lee
    Community Member

I understand and that works if I want to share an item with just one person – i would place that item in our shared vault. But if I have an item I want to share with Bill, Bob & Karen (and each has their own vault) , where do i 'place' that item?

• @Ken_Lee

You'd make a new vault and give Bill, Bob, and Karen access to it. Instructions for doing that are outlined in the guide I mentioned above. Then you'd move the items that you want to share with all three of them into that new vault.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.