I've changed my Master Password, but 1Password on my iPad still uses old Master Password

patrickj
patrickj
Community Member

I have a Mac Mini (late 2018) with OS 10.14.3 and an iPad Pro with iOS 12.1.1. I also have a 1Password account.

I changed my master password last my 1Password account. 1Password on my Mac Mini needs the new master password to open, as I expect. However 1Password on my iPad Pro needs the old master password to open, which is bizarre.

Surely when I update the master password for the account both my 1Password apps should now require that password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

No, it doesn't work like that. Basically, because the iPad has to sync (using old password) in order to get the new one.

What SHOULD work is the following.

1. Change password on the Mini.

2. Log in on the iPad using OLD password.

3. Log in to the iPad using the NEW password, and from then on only the new password will work. Or continue logging in with the old password.

The catch is that you have to use the old password at least once before the new one works. And since the old one continues working, you may very well not try the new one on subsequent logins.

• danco is correct, if you have a "Primary" vault on your devices. If you're using a 1Password membership account we recommend migrating the contents of that vault to the Personal/Private vault in your membership and then deleting the Primary vault. That way 1Password will unlock using the Master Password for your 1Password account (the one you use to log in at https://my.1password.com -- make sure you know that one before deleting the Primary vault).

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• patrickj
    patrickj
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Thank you Danco and Ben for your responses to my comment. It has taken me a while to get back. I've been very busy.

I think I have addressed this now. In my iPad Pro I had a Personal vault in my membership account. I had a Primary Vault in iCloud. So, I have deleted that Primary vault in iCloud.

I guess that means that now I have just that one Personal Account which opens with the Master Password.

I've checked and the single Master Password now works for 1Password on my Mac Mini and iPad Pro, so I am back to "One Password" indeed.

• Excellent. Thanks for the update @patrickj. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.