Unable to find 1Password 4 data to import into 1Password 7

This discussion was created from comments split from: Unable to install 1Password 7.

Comments

• dgoddard
    dgoddard
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

I have signed up for the Version 7 upgrade from Version 4 and don't' see my saved passwords from my old account! I had a license before, purchased April 19, 2014 and had many problems over the last year. I didn't know about the upgrade and challenges with Google Chrome. I followed the instructions to sign up a new account with Version 7. How or where do I find them old passwords from the older version?

• Hey, @dgoddard, I split your comment off from the discussion you replied to since that was focused on install issues and what seems to be giving you trouble is importing your 1Password 4 data. I hope you don't mind. :chuffed:

So 1Password 7 won't find your 1Password 4 data automatically – you have to tell it where to look so it can import that data. To start, how far along have you got with 1Password 7? Do you have your new 1Password.com account signed in? If you do, you'd see 1Password unlocked and showing a few items in your item list. If you've got your account signed in, you can import your data by choosing 1Password > Import and clicking the AgileKeychain or OPVault folder option.

Part of importing will be pointing 1Password to your Agile Keychain or OPVault folder that has your data. If you previously synced via Dropbox, this will be in your Dropbox folder. If you're not sure where it is, open Start and type "agilekeychain" (no quotes) to search. You should see at least one folder in your search results, including a filepath where that folder is located so you can point 1Password 7 to it. If you don't see anything for agilekeychain, try "opvault" as well (again, no quotes). If neither helps you find your data, let me know and I can take a closer look. :+1:

• dgoddard
    dgoddard
    Community Member

Hi BundtKate

When I go to start and type in -agilekeychain- I do get a list of files. This is what the file looks like: 1Password 2018-07-23 (310 items).agilekeychain_zip That said I used to use dropbox so I could easily go between my PC, laptop and ipad but that hasn't worked in sometime. In the dropbox i do show a file that says .ws.agile.1password.settings When I click it says, This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, it on is already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel

I am able to open the newest 1password version that I just downloaded and then select Import. I'm not sure how to get the suggested file folder into the "select a folder" and in step 2 is asking for "Enter vault password". When I did try to get a folder into step one and typed in my 1Password password -- it did not open.

I have been having issues with Version 4 forever and just need to get my 1Password back to running correctly on my PC, laptop and iPad. I finally figured out on my own that the Version4 wasn't being supported with the new chrome so I have signed up for the newest version as directed by one of your colleagues. I've been extremely frustrated so if there is anything you can do to help, I would be so thankful.

• I'm happy to help, @dgoddard. Thanks for your patience with the upgrade and for your help tracking things down. I'm going to focus on that .ws.agile.1password.settings as that file is part of an Agile Keychain folder. If you go to where you see that file in explorer and look at the top, do you see the file path where that file is located? Part of that path should be something like 1password.agilekeychain. That folder is the one you want to choose when you click "Select folder" in 1Password 7. The vault password will be the Master Password you used to unlock 1Password 4. Go ahead and select that folder, enter your vault password, select a vault to import into from the dropdown and click Import. Once it's done, take a peek at the data and see if everything is there. If it's not don't panic. It sounds like you've tried t get things syncing over Dropbox over the years and that has given you trouble, so you might have some extra or stale data floating around. If this isn't the right one, we've got other options to find it so just let me know. And, of course, if you have any questions about finding that folder's location or what you should have picked or entered in that form, just ask. :chuffed:

• dgoddard
    dgoddard
    Community Member

I selected Import from the main menu. Then it asked to select the folder with .agilekeychain and that file I mentioned was not in a folder, so I created a folder with the name 1password.agilekeychain and dropped that file in it. Then I was able to select that folder. Then I put in my 1password password and it states: Incorrect password, please try again. I retyped and know that I typed it correctly, but it still will not import. So I don't know if it's the file, the folder I created or??? that is causing the challenge. The file that is in my dropbox is .ws.agile.1Password.settings Date modified was 7/23/2018 Under Type is says SETTINGS File and the Size is 1 KB. What's my next step?? Thank you!! :O)

p.s. I hope I'm providing the detail you need.......

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dgoddard,

I will send the further instructions via email, since I've found your email on our side. Thank you!

ref: VJN-45586-449

• dgoddard
    dgoddard
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

I need some better timed help. I was emailed directions on how to transfer my 1Password passwords from version 4 to the most current version. Because of the lag and no message on the screen when following these instructions where I once had 300+ passwords i now have over 1000! I was advised to download a generated diagnostic report which I did and have heard nothing back. I have passwords that I haven't seen in the system for years and don't know which are the most current and as I mentioned I know how 3 or more passwords listed for each password.

I asked if I was going to have to go through and delete each password one by one, and that is where I was advised to send the report. However i have started to try and clean this up and after deleting one or two of the passwords, the site will take me back up to the top of the list. So if I'm working on site passwords that start with the letter S, I will have to scroll back down to continue the process. This could literally take hours to complete. Is this in fact the only way to fix this?!? Also, why is there such a lag time when deleting (right click and selecting 'move to trash'. There is a delay when I try to complete each line in the process. Please advise and any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the tone in the message -= I'm frustrated!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dgoddard,

Today I sent a reply with specific instructions to your email address. Please check your inbox and let me know how it goes via email. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.