Adding tags when importing from CSV

We have a couple of Keepass vaults that we are looking to import. Currently, these have a folder structure so our team can easily find the entry they need. We know that 1Password has no folder structure like this but we were going to see if the Tag feature could be used.
I imported my personal Lastpass entries in and the groups were converted to tags, so I've exploited this slightly by reformatting our KeePass export to have the same column name and importing it as a LastPass one.
Unfortunately, this only allows me to add one tag to each entry and to keep people happy and still able to find entries easily we ideally need up to 5 tags on an item.

Is there any way to do this currently or will I be spending my days going through 650 password entries and adding the tags manually ;-)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2019

@mattfipp

Use the keepass2 converter in the converter suite .

It will read your KeePass2 XML export and you'll get better fidelity this way. Your folder structure will be imported as a 1Password Tag hierarchy.

The README.html explains what to do.

• mattfipp
    mattfipp
    Community Member

@MrC Very useful thank you
    I would say your docs need updating a bit I think as KeePassX isn't able to export to the XML format anymore from what I can see (only CSV), also adding a line to the windows instruction to install the Perl binary so the module install script doesn't fail?
    Other than that it's a super set of tools.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2019

@mattfipp

You mentioned Keepass, not KeepassX. :-) Hard to know which - there are so many variants.

See the KeePassX section in the README.html. It explains.

Are you talking about Bit::Vector failing on Win 10 x64?

I'd just posted this major update yesterday, saw the issue, and made a note to myself to deal with it.

If you don't want to install KeePass2, you can use your KeepassX CSV export, set/leave the folders column values in a forward-slash-separated hierarchy, and use the csv converter instead.

• mattfipp
    mattfipp
    Community Member

That's fine I have both so was no problem using the other.
    Very few of the perl modules actually installed in win10 x64 but I ended up using WSL (Ubuntu on Windows) instead so all was good (native perl support in linux :chuffed: )

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Very few of the perl modules actually installed in win10 x64 but

Now this surprises me. I ran a clean install many times in a Win 10x64 VM. You used the latest, Recommend version of Strawberry Perl, and just ran the install_modules.bat file? Any permissions issues (i.e. non-admin, issues writing to C:\Strawberry, etc.)?

@mattfipp

• sam_hall
    sam_hall
    Community Member

It would be a whole lot simpler perhaps if the CSV import could accommodate a header row that allows us to define some additional columns, one being the list of tags. Any non-standard columns would then become custom fields with actual names that match the column header. Then your clients wouldn't need to get a working perl environment to migrate their existing password database.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

You are correct @sam_hall , it would be easier for Windows users than setting up a Perl environment.

And yet, users already have quite a difficult time just creating a simple CSV to import basic logins into 1Password, so I’m guessing the 1Password folks may be a little hesitant to add yet more complexity to the CSV import instructions. Just a thought.

• sam_hall
    sam_hall
    Community Member

The online migration tool could look at the first row and if it doesn't start with "title,website,username,password..." etc. then the current logic is applied and nothing changes. Then put an "advanced" section at the bottom of your CSV instruction page for clients that know how to create a CSV and want to bring in tags and named fields too. Also just a thought. I ended up just putting some hashtags in the notes field which are searchable from the desktop app because it was easier than working out how to get perl happening.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

I don’t disagree, @sam_hall.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

This discussion has been closed.